Peugeot 406 & Bio Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 406 & Bio Diesel

How does a 406 2.1 TD STDT perform on B100.
    Are there any issues with the lucus pump system.

Re: Peugeot 406 & Bio Diesel

I don't think there'll be any issues with the Lucas pump on that. My wife's 306 XTDT has a Lucas pump and that runs B100 no problems. I think the only time that you need to seriously worry about the injector pump is when you are running SVO, not biodiesel.

If you wanted to compare the 306 Lucas pump to your 406 one, have a look at a post I made in this forum which shows some pictures of my one.

As for performance, you might notice approximately 5% overall loss, but it depends how you drive it and what biodiesel you are using. Biodiesel can offer increased power in the low revs, so it really depends on how you drive.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

How long and how many kms has your 306 done.
      Are you making and washing the fuel or getting it from the pump.
      I,ve been making fuel for 4 years and have a 1981 holden gemini 1.8 isuzu.800 kms to 40 Lt.
      I only bubble (dry)wash with out water. I have so much fuel made it sits round for months before I get aroud to using it. So its all good.
      Have done 80,000km running B100 no problems.
      Looking to upgrade.
      Wasn,t sure about all the sensors the puegeots have and the electronics and durabitity of the seals inside the pump.
      I,ve heard the lucus pumps are insanly expensive to fix if they go.

Comment

The 306 is still pretty new to biodiesel, only about 6 months, but I'm not anticipating any major problems.

I don't make any biodiesel myself, nor do I get it from anyone who does. I only ever use commercially produced biodiesel.

There are several other users in here with Peugeots, including some SVO conversions. Perhaps some other users might pipe up their experiences?

What year model is your 406?
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

I have just purchased a 1998 406 2.1TD.
          I,ve found out that the older mechanical lucus pumps will run B100.
          After running 1 tank of B100 the electronicaly controled lucus fuel pump in this model started surging and stalling in idle but would drive fine.
          The B100 fuel cleaned the system and the fuel filter was stuffed after 1 tank and replaced.
          Found micro taces of glis after draining the bowl.
          Its the electronics (ECU) and all the sensors in this model has I,m not sure of.
          Also the type of seals used in this model lucus pump.
          After 1 tank of BP diesel the problem suddenly resolved itself today but waited till it was nearly empty.
          No change in ecomomy from either fuel, around 1100km per tank.
          I will water wash some fuel and try again.
          The fun of being on the coal face.

Comment

When I said B100 should give no problems, I was basing this on my experience of commercially produced biodiesel that meets the Australian spec. It would certainly be washed and would not have any traces of glycerine in it.
            Stick with it, but make sure you only feed it high quality, high conversion, clean biodiesel. If you feed it this, after a filter change or 2, it should be quite happy.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

The old Gemini was bullet proof.
              Had a denco filter in line and never had a problem.
              I,ll go the extra step and wash and let you know.
              Not many of these 406 wagons around.

Comment

Titration for Bio.
                Mix 10mls Isopropl alcohol and 10 drops Phenyl Red, add 1ml warm oil. and mix
                add 1 gram Sodiun or Potasium to 1 Lt of distilled water. = Lye water.
                add lye to solution using 1ml syringe.
                Sodium start at 3.5 grams per litre = new clean oil unused
                Potassium start at 9 grams per litre.
                1ml of lye = 1 gram per lt. 10th of a mil = .1 gram
                add lye .1 at a time untill the solution turns purple.
                So 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 ect you might end up at 11 or more depending on the age and how used the oil is or how high the f.f.a,s are.
                Simple and acurate.

Comment

Working...
                X