Leaking Solahart Hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Solahart Hot water heater

Got a problem which some of you may have had some experience with. (assume most of us are alternative energy lifestylers)
    Got a 300 ltr Solahart hot water heater with a small leak. I bought it second hand 10 years ago from a cousin and installed it myself. Before installing it I removed and cleaned/checked inside the tank by removing the large flange plate at one end of the tank. The sacrificial anode was cactus so I replaced it. Whist doing this I noticed the anode had dropped and come into contact with the tank damaging the enamal finish. I suspect this is where it is leaking and it is only a pin hole.

Replacing the tank is both expensive and a pain as it weighs 50 kgs and is on the roof. If I remove the end flange what is the best material to put on the enamel to cover the suspected pin hole? Araldyte, epoxy or silican? Probably think the araldyte is the best way to go. Only trying to save some money and get another 10 years out of the tank.

If it were a cheap instant gas heated tank I would not bother but the solar/electric heating is not as concentrated and the tank is stainless with a heavy enamel covering.
    Last edited by smokey2; 12 April 2007, 04:02 PM.

Re: Leaking Solahart Hot water heater

Firstly its not a stainless tank at all, why does it have a sacrificial anode in there? Its plain old steel hence the corrosion.

Get rid of it as it will become more of a maintenance hassle than not. Get a wiggle up into the northern rivers area and buy an old Solar Edwards tank, they are replaced as (on very old units) the insulation swells and splits the casing. It cosmetic really and can be fixed but they are replaced anyway.

Well were will I start, they are 316 Stainless, no sacrifical anode required, and will last for years. Best of all they can be got for about $50 from scrap metal dealers, but get in before they scrap them for the stainless.

They make great biodiesel processors but no one seems botheres to get one, oh well my advice is free, take it or leave it. I knwo what I would do but I have one already on the roof.

316 Stainless wil not corrode with hot mains water like any other material will.
    Watch the disimilar metal issues though. no direct contact and use copper collector plates.

Matt
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 12 April 2007, 10:52 PM.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Thanks Matt just the sort of info I needed.

The original PR blurbs for solarhart stated they were stainless and maybe they were with the later ones not.

Its a pity they fit them with the anode as that is what has created the problem.

I was thinking that these horizontal solar tanks would be great for a bio reactor.

Insulation can generally be repaired with a can of spray insulation.

Probably try a repair as it will be quicker and not cost much (tube of araldyte, tank end seal and a can of foam insulation) with a replacement when I have time to source an Edwards.

I grew up in Oakleigh and used to watch them build hot water heaters at Edwards when they were located on the Princess highway. Lots of shining copper. Old man Edwards used to drive up my street in a large American convertable and take out a widowed lady who lived next door in a fibro shack. She met him while cleaning his office. I believe they later got married. Sorry to get off track but that is what this board is for.

Comment

No trouble, just to make sure and I was not totally clear on this, get the Solar Edwards Solar hot water tank, they are stainless.

I have two old ones on the ground awaiting projects and one newish onein the air doing what it should.

Matt
        Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

If you want a quick fix to keep it going till you can track down a solar edwards tank then you could try using Ormonoid bitumen paint on the inside of the tank. Its really thick, seals pin holes well, is suitable for the inside of tanks (infact that was its original intended use before it was discovered that you can do a host of other things with it) and can be applied to damp surfaces. The only downer is you need to let it go off for at least 24Hrs before refilling.
          Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

and the bitumen tends to get soft when it's heated....
            Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Well I did say it was a temporary fix. If you want to use a product like this as a permanent fix then get some Tremflex seam sealer. Although at the end of the day Matt's suggestion is the best one.
              Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Matt,

I've tried to chase up one of the Edwards with the local (Hunter) supplier, he said that he even asked (maybe he didn't) the Sydney distributors and no one had one.

Peter

Comment

OK, let me ask my Lismore contact (who got me the two I have) and see if he knows of another. How far are you preapred to drive I have no idea where you are in relation to me or Lismore.

I cannot promise anything in regards to when I get hold of him or more inportantly when he gets a chance to look / hunt for one. He makes bio so at least you have a little bit of sympathy on that front and he is into all things renewable too.

Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Working...
                  X