Oil and methoxide Mixing method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil and methoxide Mixing method

I would like some feed back on members method of mixing the sodium methoxide and oil, I have made thousands of litres bio and have used a variable speed drill for my mixing and found it very compact and easy to use.
    It has been brought to my attention by timorcoco that this method could cause a fire,In all my research when I was studying making Bio I have not heard of this problem. I have spoken to an engineer and this could only happen if certain conditions prevail eg oxygen and spark distance etc.
    I have done lots of tests and have not seen a problem.(not that I am an expert)
    I would be interested to start a thread on this subject as there are a lots of people using this method and if there is a safety issue it would be good to know.
    I know the use of an electric motor(no commutator) is the obvious solution, but for one ,the cost ,ease of changing the stirrer in the chuck,ease of taking off tank, lightweight generally simple and most of us have one at home.
    There is only one time that there could be a problem and that is when the Sodium Methoxide is mixed with the oil (it floats on top till it mixes with the oil)
    I would really appreciate feedback on this .
    </IMG></IMG>
    sigpic
Working...
X