Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New.. For Beginners.. How-To Collect Oil

Whew.. finally finished it..

This should be a good article for newbies.

If anyone disagrees with any of what I wrote, please speak up. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.murphysmachines.com/how_to/how_to_collect_wvo.html

Biodiesel, waste oil heating, do it yourself.

Re: New.. For Beginners.. How-To Collect Oil

Hi.
    Heres another way.
    What we do for a couple of our oil supplies is give them storage drums that I make. I have attached a picture of one unit that hold 180 lts. The drums are 60lt units and with the stand makes the top height about the same as a 200lt drum. I have had a 200lt drum on a stand but this was quite high to lift hot oil.
    I have made mesh filters to go in the top with "Tuff Mesh" so when the oil is poured in it catches the large bits. These simply lift out and a tap inside the garbage hopper and it is clean again.
    We have collected around 20 x 20lt plastic oil drums that fit under the 1 inch tap perfectly. My wife usually does the oil collection once a month and just backs up to the unit, opens the tap and fills the drums. Loads them into the van and shes off to the next one. She is only small but she can just lift them into her car.
    We also have some 1 inch PVC screw caps for the valves as they do drip for a bit. This helps to keep the place nice and clean.
    I made a lock for this one as it is unsecure behind a pub and I have a fear that some drunk idiot might open the valve for a laugh, but others we have are in lock up compounds so I dont bother.
    And dont forget one more important thing. That is to buy the restaurant owner a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine for christmas and thank them for great oil. This should ensure a continued relationship with clean dry oil.

Cheers, Chris
    96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
    93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
    90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
    Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Did you add the 1" side bungs to the drums yourself?
      Is the cover made of Stainless Steel, or is it painted?

This is a very neat installation which your supplier probably appreciates. It looks like you are keeping his storage area clean too.

I am using 60 litre drums but I hoist them into my trailer (manually) rather than the process you use. When the drums are home, I pump from the drum into a bag filter.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony,
        The take offs on the sides are 1" brass threaded tubes with backnuts and the seals are cistern washers. I have since found a cheaper way which is a PVC item called a "Tank take off" , it comes complete with seals and back nut etc, about $7. I use a "3bond" silicone designed for gaskets that is chemical proof (resistant?) Raw oil doesnt effect it so far. I also use the same stuff inside my reactor with good results so far. (fingers crossed)
        The lid is 50 x 50 aluminium angle with a piece of aluminium on top. This does seem a little over kill but I had these bits laying around when I made this. (This is the first one I made, the following ones aren't quite as nice)

Can you tell me how the restaurant people get the oil into the 60lt drum? I did think of keeping the drums sealed but could not come up with a way to get oil into them. I did think of maybe a funnel/pan that screws into the top 2" bung. Then have a lid that sits over that but was concerned that they can not see when it becomes full and may over flow it. I have always kept in mind that I need to make it as easy and clean as possible for the restaurant because it would be too easy for them to just tell me to take my drums and go, hence the tidy looking, easy to use set up pictured.
        96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
        93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
        90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
        Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

I covered that method... Its the very first one..

You've added the collection barrels.. I think I'm going to update it and include something about collection barrels. Over here, a few enterprising yanks are selling metal tops with built in screens and locks that are made to clamp to the top of a standard drum. There are several varieties of them I should mention..

One question for you, how does the cook dump oil in over his head? Those barrels look like they are 2 meters high..

Oh ya.. and your locking mechanisium rocks! Fast, easy and it keeps out trouble makers and stupid people..

Biodiesel, waste oil heating, do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper
            Can you tell me how the restaurant people get the oil into the 60lt drum? I did think of keeping the drums sealed but could not come up with a way to get oil into them. I did think of maybe a funnel/pan that screws into the top 2" bung. Then have a lid that sits over that but was concerned that they can not see when it becomes full and may over flow it.
            Jasper,
            My largest supplier has a rechargeable battery powered, pumped filtration unit which he uses to filter his oil every night. It can carry the contents of one of his fryers at a time. When he decides to change the oil, he dumps it into the filter unit and wheels it over to my 60 litre drums and pumps it thru the filter into my drums. He fills to the top, then screws the bung in loosely.
            The drums are stored indoors, so theft or vandalism is not an issue for me.

Prior to his obtaining the pumped filter, he used a funnel, but as my drums do not have the small bung on top, I had to devise a 'breather' to go thru the funnel, into the airspace of the drum to prevent the hot oil 'burping' in the funnel.
            Tony From West Oz
            Vice Chairperson of WARFA
            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 April 2007, 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy2000 View Post
              One question for you, how does the cook dump oil in over his head? Those barrels look like they are 2 meters high..
              Does this answer your question?:
              Originally posted by Jasper
              The drums are 60lt units and with the stand makes the top height about the same as a 200lt drum. I have had a 200lt drum on a stand but this was quite high to lift hot oil.
              Great page by the way Murphy, some useful tips on there. Collecting oil is one of the most difficult things to get right, as it all depends on your own circumstances and the places you get it from.
              Sean

Comment

Working...
              X