Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BD in 1990 2.8D Hilux

G'day everyone
    i have been cruising these forums for a while now and figured it was time i actually joined up. I have been interested in running some form of BD or WVO in my ute for a little while now. More for the cost savings than anything else.

I have a 1990 Hilux with a 2.8ltr diesel (ln106 3L engine) 4x4 with just over 255,000k's on the clock. I have only had the ute for about 6 months and the history on services/oil changes etc before i got it is questionable.

I just wanted to know if i would need to change anything on my ute before running BD and if anything down the track will need to be changed or need work doing to it.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has a similar engine on how it went performance wise etc after changing to bio

I would like to make my own BD but would like to try a few tanks before jumping right into building processors etc. Is there anywhere round newcastle that sells BD - i heard of somewhere in rutherford?

cheers
    James
    God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow,sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way <><

Re: BD in 1990 2.8D Hilux

Basic hose and filter maintenance is the main part prior to running any bio. Change your fuel filter and keep a spare in the vehicle and be prepared to change it again after a short interval. Check all fuel hoses from the tank to the engine. If they are old and hard, likely to leak then you will need to change them as well with good quality fuel hose.
    Someone on this board was complaining of seal problem with Toyota fuel pumps and the lack of available viton seals. I run 1984 Daihatsu's and have had no problems using bio from Volumeplus.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      other than the cost of replacement filters is there any other advantage of running CAV type fuel filters?
      God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow,sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way <><

Comment

Slightly better filtration, 5 micron verse 7 micron on Toyota OEM, but their size (smaller) is an issue be prepared for more frequent changes, most likely on an older vehicle.

Matt

Use them, they are good and a lot cheaper, a necessity when you are going to run biodiesel, cost to fit will require a mounting for the new filter which costs around $120.
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

The complete filter including housing usually sells for ~$50 on EvilBay.
          Mount it in a location where you can put a container underneath as they are messy to change the filter elements.
          If you want 5µ filtration, buy the Delphi or Lucas brand elements, the Ryco ones are rated at 15 micron. Someone mentioned that Fleetguard also makes a conpatible element, but I do not know it's rating.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
          X