Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombi Conversion?

G'day all...phill from qld aus...
    after a lifetime search, i finally found a lovely old kombi...
    It's a '74 Bay model auto'

was wondering if she'd run on biodesel?
    standard 1800 motor- twin carbs.
    Being an auto..it uses a bit of fuel..

presently trying different fuels...carefully...

'unleaded' seems to be a bit mushy responding to the pedal..

what would be the best mixture?
    Got something to say? Complain about? Need some Support? www.fairbloodydinkum.com speak out & have YOUR Say!

Re: Kombi Conversion?

Hello Phill, welcome to the forum

There is a good reason it is called biodiesel
    It only works in a Diesel engine.
    Twin carbs suggests a strong likelihood that you have a petrol engine.
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 30 April 2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil, you probably mean biofuel. There is a section specific to ethanol fuel a bit further down.
      I use to own a VW Komby 1975 camper conversion made in Germany, and run in a bit of trouble with ethanol fuel of unknown blend they use to dish out in northern Argentina and Brazil. The petrol pump diaphragm softened up and refused to pump any fuel at all. Not fun when on a dirt road 1000 K inside Matto Grosso.

Comment

Not really a biofuel... but perhaps you could convert it to LPG? I once converted a twin carbie engine to run on LPG. The hardest part was getting the ventilators to breathe in the same amount for each carb. Probably not that hard if you aren't silly enough to try making them yourself though.

If you really wanted biodiesel, you'd have to ditch it and find a diesel Bedford, or a Ford Transit van or something - not quite the same style as the Kombi though.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Phil,
          I have owned a few VW's over the years and your Kombi will not run on BioD. When you run it on unleaded, you will need to put a valve lube every couple of tanks or so to keep the valves and their seats clacking along nicely, or get the engine tinkered to run on ULP. You can convert to LPG, but you will need to source a smaller than usual tank and locate it under the seat or the rock n roll bed if it's a camper conversion. A bit tricky but can be done. The T4 Transporters came with a water cooled diesel, but in front wheel drive. Time and MegaBucks to adapt, but I still want a Dual Cab Kombi Ute that smells like a Chippie as it rolls along. Good Luck mate Kombi's are a classic bus and not much compares to driving along a coastline in one, on holidays. Chris

P.S. Oh, yeah, you have to christen her too, they run better..Take time to find a suitable name and drink a toast to her with your fave bevvy, pour a spalsh over her front badge and drive off into the sunset..
          Chris73
          Last edited by Chris73; 1 May 2007, 01:28 PM. Reason: Just adding a P.S.

Comment

Strictly speaking though, if you are really determined you could convert your petrol engine to diesel and there was a company offering such conversions for 4 cyl jeep. A long time go.

Comment

thanks all..yes i meant biofuel of some sort...doh is me....

ty marc..shall look into the additive...and just treat her gently...

and the name?..we called her Matilda.....
              the airbrush work is in planning...
              Got something to say? Complain about? Need some Support? www.fairbloodydinkum.com speak out & have YOUR Say!

Comment

Yes there is a Kombi in mount gambier which runs on biodiesel.
                Someone put a diesel engine from a rodeo in it, but it was hard work.
                Looks like kangaroo shooting is now a sport fairdinkum? If only someone could arm ducks as well.....
                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Mmm yum... Ducks in orange juice!.....

Comment

thankyou captain...yes, i checked into putting a diesel in it..but just toooooooo involved...and its changing it from original too much..

Marc..the roo?..he's just evening up the score mate...

Comment

Working...
                    X