Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercritical ethanol method - questions

Hi folks,

Im wondering if there is anyone here currently using the supercritical ethanol method for BD production...

Anyone...?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Supercritical ethanol method - questions

Never heard of "supercritical". Sounds really intense though. Its not that credit card sized processor that doesn't use a reactant is it?

My understanding of ethanol and biodiesel was that home users, unless they were making their own alcohol, wouldn't be able to do it because of the red tape and papertrail needed for ethanol. Every drops needs to be accounted for.

Ethanol biodiesel is called ethyl ester is it not?

Joe
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hello Dave

I suspect noone in the whole wide world is using the "super critical" Ethanol or methanol method to make more than a few ml of biodiesel.

As I recall this is the method where Ethanol/methanol and Oil (No catalist required) are instantanously turned into biodiesel under temperatures and pressures approching those found in the center of the sun.
      If you do things properly, just before the neighbourhood disappears in a mushroom cloud, you might have a pint of best Biodiesel.

My wife has forbidden me from doing this on the kitchen Stove

Tilly
      tillyfromparadise
      Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 28 April 2006, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise
        Hello Dave

I suspect noone in the whole wide world is using the "super critical" Ethanol or methanol method to make more than a few ml of biodiesel.

As I recall this is the method where Ethanol/methanol and Oil (No catalist required) are instantanously turned into biodiesel under temperatures and pressures approching those found in the center of the sun.
        If you do things properly, just before the neighbourhood disappears in a mushroom cloud, you might have a pint of best Biodiesel.

My wife has forbidden me from doing this on the kitchen Stove

Tilly
        Tilly,
        Methinks you exaggerate somewhat.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Super critical relates to the steam vapour at a temperature well above boiling point. Super dangerous!

Drink the ethanol and you wont feel the pain of paying for the catalyst!

As an aside:

I was banned from the kitchen post test batch no 1 it was "get out of here with that" after that. What are you doing still in the kitchen or can't you get away form the apron strings!

I heard on the grape vine you may be coming to look me up Tilly? Can you confirm?
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Hello Matt,
            My wife is an understanding person, she understands I paid for most of the house so puts up with a lot of things most wives seem not to.

You have heard correctly, small world isn't it

Tilly

Comment

Working...
            X