Gas cylinder for processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cylinder for processor

Does anyone have any experience of using a gas cylinder for a processor? I'm especially interested in the safety of cutting or welding them. I have this thought that they would be like petrol tanks, not a job for the home workshop.
    I can see that the shape of the cylinders would be good with their domed ends. A 45 kg cylinder would hold about 90litres.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Gas cylinder for processor

Hi bj4408,

I have used many sizes of LP gas bottles for various processes. At one time I converted a 9Kg (and smaller tests) LP Bottle for a Sump Oil distillation process, Very high gas pressure to heat to required temp to boil off the oil for distillation. I have also converted them for Compressor air tanks.
    I had no problems either drilling or Arc Welding, Oxy cutting and brazing. The important thing is screw out the valve and fill it full of water for a while. I of course drained it before working on them. I have no technical knowledge on this subject, maybe I was taking chances? But have not had one problem over the past 25 years. The reason I used them was I was a gas agent for some time and access was easy. They are available in many handy sizes, Most recycling centres have them stacking up as its cheaper now to buy new than have then retested. Perhaps someone can say I'm wrong, if so help out!
    I have in fact just acquired 2 LP tanks out off test that was used for LP fuel on vehicles. They will come in handy in my Bio Setup. Someone may have more info?

Rgds

Dillyman
    dillyman
    Last edited by dillyman; 30 April 2006, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I have in the past had to weld petrol tanks and for safety sake if you are going to do this, do be bloody careful.
      We would fill the tank with water to the split then drain some so as to allow the weld. This limited the chance of a large ignition or any at all.
      When you hear those industrial accident stories at Tech you just don't want to risk it. Unless of course you are really Butt Ugly and need a new face...
      Petrol will enter the pores of the metal and will always be potentially volatile other gases well I just don't know...
      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
      Canberra

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses.
        I like the idea of the vinegar and carb soda to make CO2, nice and simple.
        A bit of planning and common sense go a long way and should keep thinks safe.

Comment

Working...
        X