Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of diesel engine parts

Hi guys

I am looking into Mazda's new Mazda6 diesel offering (because of obvious benefits ) but have been warned not to buy a diesel because engine parts are dearer than the equivalent in petrol cars. Sounded a bit funny to me, but has anyone found this to be true?
    He also said that Mazda parts are dear as well....
    This guy is a mechanic, but don't know how credible..

Thanks heaps
    Tim

Re: Cost of diesel engine parts

Hi Tim - it could be worse, it could be a Land Rover. They wanted $1600 for a standard fuel pump that would cost $150 in a Holden.
    Not sure if Mazda are dearer in parts than the European cars, I would doubt it.
    Generally speaking, diesel engines cost more to build as they have higher compression, therefore require stronger, better made parts. However these parts (the ones inside the engine itself) will outlast by 4 times the petrol ones. The bits that will probably break over time will be the other parts in the car that are not diesel specific, but common to a car be it petrol or diesel, like a fuel pump, ABS sensor, air filter etc.
    The new Mazda 626 diesel, (which I think I will buy when it becomes available), might have expensive parts as it is the first diesel model in this class for Mazda (in this decade).
    I don't really, know, this is all just speculation. I'd suggest doing some more investigation and don't just take the word of a mechanic.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Re: Cost of diesel engine parts

Hi Tim,

Generally diesels have been more reliable than equivalent petrols, as Robert points out, although with high-tech common rail diesel, there is probably more to go wrong these days.

I have driven diesels almost exclusively for the last 17 years
      (except a 2 year stint in the US) and have never had a diesel engine let me down (even my Landrover, Robert!!! - although it was a japenese Isuzu engine - the best engine Landrover never made).

Generally parts and servicing has been pretty reasonable - traditionally diesels prefer more frequent oil changes than the equiv. petrol, but running BD should keep the oil cleaner anyway!!!

The Mazda turbo-diesel looks good on paper, but it is really an unknown quantity at this point.

cheers,

Geoff

Comment

Working...
      X