Titration with TUMERIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titration with TUMERIC

At the recent workshop in Melbourne at CERES conducted by Tony of WA and Phil Calais , a professor at Uni of WA. I learned something incredibly interesting. Using Tumeric as an indicator solution!!!
    Considering some pool shops and chemists will charge you an arm and a leg and a promise of your first born son's testies for phenol red or phenol phaline for indicator solution, this is the greatest thing i have learned since i shook hands with sen. Bob Brown and found out he was gay.
    Just get some tumeric from your local supermarket or Indian spice shop. Not much just a few grams like the small Mcormics jars.
    Then pour it all into a small bottle (500ml.) of methylated spirits. Then pour that through a coffee filtre, just to remove the pariculates. Or just suck up with a pipette from the top of the bottle.
    The indicator solution will look a bright yellow colour. Then when it turns on indicating the Ph. leap it goes a deep red like the colour of a good vindaloo.!!!
    Brilliant!! Professor Calais!!
    Cheap and cheerful indicator s olution that works BETTER than phenol red.

Re: Titration with TUMERIC

Hello Darren,
    For the easiest method of Titrating you can not beat the World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)
    It has instructions how to titrate using Phenolphthlein, Phenol Red, or turmeric as the indicator.
    The World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend) - Topic Powered by eve community

Tilly
    Last edited by joe; 22 March 2007, 04:58 PM. Reason: remove extra http: from url

Comment

Working...
    X