Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumping used WVO from Shops

i just wanted to know how some of guys collect your used oil,
    i have spoken to my near by fish & chip shops and they are willin to give me there oil but i have to pump it out off 55gal drum into some sort of storage tank in the rear of my 4wd or ute.
    what pumps do some of you use to pump it out and what kind of hose do i buy.
    Thankyou, guys for your replies.

Re: Pumping used WVO from Shops

Depending on what your using to hold your oil you could try making a vacuum tank.

60l oil drums work well enough and its pretty simple to mod the large bung if your any good at soldering and drilling.

For the vacuum side of things all you need is a tubless tyre valve and a bike pump, a second bike pump or a small air compressor will help getting the oil out later. Drill out the large bung and install the tubelss tye valve so that it faces out re-install the bung and seal it with sealastic or solder it closed.

To create your vacuum pull your bike pump apart (assuming you have one of the old school long handle jobbies) and inside will be a tapered rubber washer on a long skinny shaft. Take that off and turn it upside down re install.(the next bit varies depending on the pump you have) There will be another rubber washer or rubber disk on a drilled metal plate, remove that and put that in upside down. viola you now have a servicable vacuum pump (takes about 10 minutes of pumping to get 1 60l tank ready to go)

For the pick up side you will need (depending on the setup of the small bung on your drum) a 1/2 inch ball cock valve some 10 or 12mm copper pipe and a length of hose to suit your needs.

first up solder the length of copper pipe inside one side of the ball cock valve ensure that the threads are not damaged or obstructed. Measure the distance from the bottom of the drum to the bottom of the small bung and cut your pipe between 1 and 2 inches short of this, screw the whole lot in and assuming that your take up hose fits onto the exposed end of the ball cock valve and your good to go. When you put the ball cock in after testing be besure to seal it in with teflon tape.

Testing.

Filling
    1. Close the ball cock valve
    2. attach your vacuum pump to the tyre valve and pump, 3. keeping the drum about 1m above the level of a large body of water (a pool works well here ) insert the take up pipe and open the ball cock valve.
    4. when it stops taking up water close the ball cock valve and remove the takeup pipe. empty the pipe back into the pool and your done.

Emptying
    1. re- attach the pipe and aim it back into the body of water
    2. attach your second bike pump or compressor (regulate it to less than 14 PSI) and pump
    3. when most of the water is expelled you will hear a bubbling noise, stop pumping turn off the ball cock valve and remove it you should have an inch or so of water in the bottom.

If it all works as it should and your happy with the depth of water in the drum drain out the last of the water and reassemble..

If you dont have a second pump grab a valve remover and take the stem out of the valve then siphon the oil out as you normally would.

It sounds silly to leave the last inch of oil in the drum at first but providing you let your oil sit for an hour or 2 after transporting this will be the first part of your filtering as any water will sit on the bottom and any solids wont clog the takeup pipe on the fitting.

If your really keen you could put a thin wire mesh over the intake of the pipe and any solids will fall off of that and into the left over stuff at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

When a giant sucking tank sounds intriguing, I would give a pump like this consideration:

http://www.macnaught.com.au/lub/OilPumps/OilHand.html

Or this:
      http://www.stm.net.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=handpumps

I like the "one litre per turn" one

Comment

I have seen people mention using those rotary hand pumps on other forums.
        They are available at supercheap Auto. I think I saw them for around $40-50.

There are also a number of 12V Diesel transfer pumps on ebay which may be suitable depending on what you wanted to spend.

If the drums you have to pump the oil out of are the normal 2 Bung type ( although normally for used oil they use the lid type) You could just make up a small bung with an air fitting and a large bung with a hose and tube that extended into the drum and use a small compressor to pressurise it and force the oil out the hose.
        You wouldn't need much pressure to do this and a small cheap 12V compressor would probably be all that was needed for the job.
        Perhaps if they use a lid type drum now you could talk to them about you supplying them normal type drum and a funnel. If this was OK, you could have fittings put on the drum before you gave it to them to make things really easy.

Comment

Working...
        X