Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Jerry Can under bonnet as start up/Shut down

Hi,

I've installed a 10l steel jerry can under the bonnet of my 1989 HJ61 Landcruiser to use as a start up shut down tank. I've been using vege blends for 18 months and decided to move to the proper 2 tank setup and reduce my blending.

I wanted to be able to remove the jerry can easily for filling, and working on the engine, so mounted it in it's matching off the shelf ProQuip Jerry can holder.

Prior to this project, I spent ages moving the air filter from the drivers side of the engine bay to close to the firewall on the pax side, rerouting the turbo inlet at the same time. I had to do this to create space for a jerry can - the 12HT and plumbing take up much more of the engine bay than a 2H.

I came across a quick connect setup in a 25l boat fuel tank that came complete with fuel guage and fuel pickup. I bought two new quick connect fittings female fittings and a new male brass quick connect that I screwed into a nut I brazed onto the jerry can for the return line. This means I just unplug the lines, unlatch the jerry can and lift it out. I couldn't bear the thought of running a plastic diesel tank under the bonnet as Dagwill has http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...iser_hj60.html I also didn't feel right pulling up to a servo and sticking a fuel hose under the bonnet - bound to attract the wrong sort of attention.

I installed a Pollack six port with a lead of around 150mm from the Pollack to the lift pump and fuel takes 7 seconds to go from the Pollack to the start of the IP - with a full purge taking less than a minute.

Normal setup on a Landcruiser has the
    lift pump,
    spin on filter,
    IP
    so the spin on filter is under pressure from the lift pump.

To decrease purge times, I now have:
    vege tank,
    looped return input,
    squeezy rubber primer from a boat shop,
    main spin on filter,
    12 plate heat exchanger reaching +80°C at output,
    Pollack
    Lift pump
    Injection pump.

This means the filter is under a little pressure from the looped return, which is also warming the oil before passing through the spin on filter. All hoses are covered in foam. Heat exchanger insulated. Return looped on vege, returned to startup/shutdown jerry can on diesel.

There is a slight problem with the quick connect fitting I found by the road in a council cleanup. It sucks air.... I'm hoping the O ring inside the quick connect will soften a little and grip more, stopping the problem, otherwise i'll be having to make up my own pick up and quick connect.

But on a first run today, all worked as planned.
    Next step is to automate the purge and switch over process.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Re: Steel Jerry Can under bonnet as start up/Shut down

Have you got any photos?
    Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
      Hi,

SNIP

I installed a Pollack six port with a lead of around 150mm from the Pollack to the lift pump and fuel takes 7 seconds to go from the Pollack to the start of the IP - with a full purge taking less than a minute.

Normal setup on a Landcruiser has the
      lift pump,
      spin on filter,
      IP
      so the spin on filter is under pressure from the lift pump.

To decrease purge times, I now have:
      vege tank,
      looped return input,
      squeezy rubber primer from a boat shop,
      main spin on filter,
      12 plate heat exchanger reaching +80°C at output,
      Pollack
      Lift pump
      Injection pump.

This means the filter is under a little pressure from the looped return, which is also warming the oil before passing through the spin on filter. All hoses are covered in foam. Heat exchanger insulated. Return looped on vege, returned to startup/shutdown jerry can on diesel.

There is a slight problem with the quick connect fitting I found by the road in a council cleanup. It sucks air.... I'm hoping the O ring inside the quick connect will soften a little and grip more, stopping the problem, otherwise i'll be having to make up my own pick up and quick connect.

But on a first run today, all worked as planned.
      Next step is to automate the purge and switch over process.

Tim
      Tim, I believe that you will find that there is no pressure from the return line as the engine will use a little of the fuel entering the IP, to keep turning, so there will always be more fuel sucked by the IP than is in the return line. Thus it will always be sucking fuel from the tank, and maintaining a slight negative pressure.

I look forward to inspecting your workmanship at the meeting on Sunday.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

>>I look forward to inspecting your workmanship at the meeting on Sunday.

Oh; the pressure!!!

Photo's as requested.

Tim
        Tim-HJ61
        Donating Member
        Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 7 June 2007, 11:36 AM. Reason: Added photos
        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Looks bl00dy good.

See you Sunday,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Tony,

I'm having problems with my 'picked up off the side of the road' quick connect fitting, it's letting air suck into the inlet pipe for the diesel.

It's not fun with your head under bonnet in office clothes, drizzle, and on the main route to the airport on a Friday afternoon, trying to prime the thing!! And diesel on the hands - yuck, I've not used any hydrocarbon fuel for ages and forgotten the pleasures!! Luckily the trusty bottle of glycerol wasn't far away.

I'll be looking for ideas on creating a fuel pick on top of the tank and connecting a new brass quick connect.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X