another newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another newbie question

another newbie question.....if you were running a 2 tank system with a secondary small tank for diesel and the main for wvo , could you still add standard diesel to the wvo if the situation demanded that you buy fuel from servo. or would mixing standard diesel with whats left of the wvo in your tank cause issues? cheers

Re: another newbie question

Mixing diesel with wvo in two tanks conversion will not cause any dramas at all. AS LONG AS you are using heat exchangers to heat the WVO because regardless if you mix wvo with diesel, bio or kero your wvo has to be well heated before it goes to the engine if the ratio of wvo is so high.

Unless you are running out of wvo on the road or you do not have any filtered wvo to fill up your tank I see no reason to mix it with diesel or any other fuel in the main tank.

What car do you have? is it converted yet?

Cheers,
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

If you use WVO in your main tank, there is no problem if you ever have to add diesel in there.

If you went somewhere and had to fill up with diesel because there was no WVO around, it would be fine to mix it in with your WVO in the main tank.
      When running a heat exchanger on your WVO line, it is reccomended that you do actually put some oil in with the diesel to restore the lubrication properties that the Heat exchanger and warming the fuel will diminish in the diesel. If you were away from hom you could just buy a bottle of cooking oil from the supermarket and throw that in your tank and things would be fine.

Comment

I support the above statements, but if you were on an extended journey with no access to veggie, you could disable the heater by having a valve in the coolant line to the FPHE, preventing much of the heat gain provided by the coolant flowing thru the FPHE, by stopping the flow.

Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

no car at moment just starting out with all this. so if i understand it would be ok to go back to bought diesel until you were able to refill with veg oil? i at time have a source that would allow me to fill with diesel for free!!! cheers and stand by for more inane questions from me. thanx

Comment

the greatest benefits of using used cooking oil as a diesel fuel are NOT financial. they are environmental.
            having access to free diesel is not a good thing for the environment, as it tends to promote wastage and overuse of the vehicle for journeys which are more appropriately catered for by walking.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

pardon me i didnt mean to offend anyone with me previous post.

Comment

Don't worry atrix, I suspect the majority of people are in Biofuels for the cost savings and there is nothing wrong with that. The enviroment does not change one Iota wether I put Veg in my tank or diesel. My Bank balance however is very much the better off. Another benifit is that a lot of people run veg in older cars instead of these cars being scrapped and replaced with new ones which consume vast quantities of energy and resources in their manufacture.

The benfits to the enviroment are the same whatever the motivation is to put veg in your tank. For a lot of people, cost savings are the main motivator and the enviro benifits are the icing on the cake that give you the warm and fuzzies over the great feeling you get when driving past service stations and not having to rely on them for your fuel supply.

Mind you, Playing the enviromental card is a lot more effective in getting rules and regulations changed to where we want them so we can keep saving money

From what I am reading, there are a lot of problems being caused by commercial Bio fuels and they may be far less enviromentally friendly that what the people pushing them would have us believe. It would not surprise me in the least that if in the future the whole Bio thing is shown to be a bloody great enviromental disaster. Certainly the sentiment is honourable, it's human greed that buggers nobel ideas up!

Inargueably, the most enviromentally friendly Veg fuel is the use of WVO which is utilising something that was grown for other purposes and has now finished it useful working life.
                This source of veg fuel does not take food away from people or cause price increases nor are forests being cleared to meet the demand for the use for which it is grown in the first place.

Use your "free" Diesel fuel and be happy and content you are doing a good thing on multiple levels whatever your reasons are!

Comment

I apologise, I was tired when I wrote that post, it came across wrong. I will not edit the post as that would not undo the impression it caused.
                  I will try to consider the effects of the posts I make, before climbing my high horse (as I have done too regularly in the past) and berating those who have ideals, or ideals expressed differently to mine.

Regards,
                  Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

The enviroment does not change one Iota wether I put Veg in my tank or diesel.
                    With all due respects David, diesel contains carbon that has been out of the system for millions of years, whereas if we burn VO there is no net gain of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.

Malcolm.

Comment

Hi Malcom,

You are of course totally correct in what you are saying.
                      I was refering to a strictly individual and personal usage basis in that a single vehicle's emissions make no difference to the enviroment against the hundreds of thousands of other vechicles just in the same city, let alone everywhere else.

It goes without saying that if these other vehicles were running veg, certainly the enviroment would be a better place but it takes a lot more than one vehicle to make a difference.

It seems to me that the number of vehicles using either bio or straight oil from used sources is still virtually insignificant in this country which is a shame and probably making far to little benificial impact.

Comment

Working...
                      X