Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark new posts as read?

Hi Robert,

Is it difficult and does it cost, to have the ability to mark the 'New Posts' as read?

If it costs don't bother, but if just needs the feature turned on, that would be appreciated.

cheers, Michael

Re: Mark new posts as read?

Hi Michael,

I'll look into it.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

There is already a feature built in to "mark all forums as read". Have a look under the "quick links" menu in the navbar at the top. You should see an option in there. Does this do what you want?
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,
        I add my voice to Michaels. I am a member of several forii and this feature is useful to me in determining whether a post which is "new since last visit" is a totally new post or an earlier post (I have read) which has been replied to since last visit.

Regards,
        Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

OK, I see what you mean.

The marking of messages as read is not entirely accurate in its current form. Sometimes you will visit the forum, use the "new posts" link and it will show you a bunch of new posts, but it will also miss some. Sometimes, you will see a post when browsing a forum that was marked as read, even though you did not read it, nor were notified of it.

Is this what you guys mean?

If so, there is an option for this as follows (sorry if this gets a bit too techy):

Originally posted by vbulletin options
          option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
          1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
          2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
          3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
          The short story is that it is possible to do this better, but it requires a lot more power from the server. We're presently optimising the webserver that runs this forum (and a bunch of other sites) as it can get quite heavily loaded at times.

I'll experiment with enabling these options and see how the load goes.

Cheers,
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks Robert,
            But don't waste too much time / effort / grunt over it. It was just a 'would be nice if possible and easy' idea. I'll survive without the feature.
            Michael

Comment

Well, I had it on for a brief time today, so you may notice some difference in the way "new posts" are handled. Sadly, the load issue has made me put it back until a new permanent solution can be found. I'll report in here if anything changes.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, but how does the "inactivity/cookies" option handle posts between visits? (assuming regular visitation)

Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Well, I had it on for a brief time today, so you may notice some difference in the way "new posts" are handled.
                  I noticed that when I clicked on "New Posts" yesterday, but I didn't think it was particularly helpful (for me anyway). So if it is a hassle or increases your server load I wouldn't bother. The way it's set up at the moment is the same as most other vbulletin forum I have seen, and that's more then adequate.
                  Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                    Thanks for the explanation, but how does the "inactivity/cookies" option handle posts between visits? (assuming regular visitation)
                    I think (and I haven't fully checked it out yet) that when you visit the site, a cookie is placed on your PC describing which threads you've viewed etc. Additionally, the server will monitor posts which are made while you are not logged in. I think this means that if you stay logged into the forum for a while (even though you're not using it), it might incorrectly count posts made while you were logged in as read. Sounds more like a bug to me than the way it was designed, but everyone else (in the vbulletin community) seems to think it makes sense. Like I said, I've not really properly looked into this yet.
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks

Looks like your question thing at the end of the post worked. Also not having to sign in is nice too. Good job. Nice list. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X