Potential toxicity of ultra fine particles in biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential toxicity of ultra fine particles in biodiesel

I just saw a repeat of a "Catalyst" report on the toxicity of ultra fine particles in air pollutants.

The key concern for me is the higher level of fine and ultra fine particles in diesel emissions. The report seemed to argue that the size of particles in the research was important, rather than just the intrinsic toxicity of the chemicals that the pollutants are composed from. The report argued that the particles pass through the lungs into the immune system, perhaps causing a far wider range of diseases than the often reported respiratory diseases.

For me, this raised the possibilty that biodiesel emissions could be far more toxic than many people are aware.

I would certainly like to see more research on the issue considering that I have followed every mechanic's advice and warmed up my old diesel engine in the back yard.

While I'm doing this I have a two year old playing in the very same backyard!

If biodiesel turns out to be more toxic than proponents of biodiesel have indicated, I will be one very unhappy person.

I am also very keen to hear a convincing argument about why petro-diesel is so often promoted as being more environmentally friendly than petrol, other than being a more economical fuel. It also seems to me that any potential gains in economy can be lost in comparison to a sedan because the majority of diesel passenger vehicles in AustraIia are light trucks or four wheel drives. If diesel is more toxic and fueling heavier passenger vehicles then where are the great environmental gains?

Re: Potential toxicity of ultra fine particles in biodiesel

Good point re the Catalyst report. I saw it too and was thinking to myself - they could all do something about this RIGHT NOW just by mandating paticulate filters and also the use of biodiesel. I get so angry when I see all the big trucks belching huge amounts of smoke when I know that it does not have to be that way
    I don't have facts and figures on this right now, but the general idea is that because biodiesel burns more completely than distillate, it has less unburned particles (soot, or particulates) coming out of the exhaust. Even in small blends, the biodiesel combustion helps to burn the stuff that would normally be left behind after the distillate combustion.
    This is why there is less smoke from the exhaust with biodiesel.
    Now I would not claim, as some biodiesel enthusiasts tend to do sometimes that biodiesel is pure as the driven snow, but it is a hell of a lot better.
    Of course, the amount of pollution it makes is also related to the engine that it is combusted in. Newer cars with exhaust gas circulation, catalytic converters and particulate filters will have much less of a problem.
    As always, if anyone has some better info - please post it.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
    X