wvo and a peugeot 405 turbo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wvo and a peugeot 405 turbo???

405 turbo peugeots are these cars a good choice for wvo conversion?

Re: wvo and a peugeot 405 turbo???

It depends on the injector pump make. If it is a Lucas / CAV / Delphi, it is not as good a choice as one with a Bosch IP.

While either IP can be used with a well designed 2 tank conversion, a strict purge regieme is necessary, to ensure that the IP never has cold oil in it.

It is suggested that the IP return line temperature be used as a guide to the IP temperature, to determine the changeover to veggie.

I hope that this assists with your choice of vehicle.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

thanks tony i will have to look into which pump it has. the car is one that i know is for sale and im trying to sort out whether i want a 4wd or just a small sedan. cheers

Comment

Hello Artrix,

If you visit Using Vegetable oil as a diesel fuel and click on "Vehicle Database" you will see some 405 running on WVO, with and without turbo. It looks like your car has a Bosch pump, but you better verify this by opening the bonet. Some Peugeot cars were fitted with Bosch or Lucas depending on year of manufacture.

Regards
        gonzalo

Comment

I have just concerted a 405. It runs well but do not use a cav filter. Nothing but problems.

Comment

Originally posted by deedyau View Post
            I have just concerted a 405. It runs well but do not use a cav filter. Nothing but problems.
            I tend to agree. I'm beginning to think that for most vehicles, the CAVs do not have sufficient throughput capacity. Firstly, the cartridges are quite small. Secondly, in general the cartridges have quite low micron ratings so that they present too much resistance to flow and can cause fuel starvation. I understand that the Delphi brand cartridges present the most issues as the cartridges are 5micron. Most other brands like Fleetguard, Valvoline and Ryco are 10 micron (or thereabouts) and perform a little better, but are still too agressive for SVO use. At higher revs in the Mercedes 300D I experienced a severe loss of power due to fuel restriction. I know it was the CAV causing this because when I bypasssed the CAV, there was no such power loss.

This is not to say the CAV is no good, rather it is probably too good for SVO use.
            Cheers
            Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
            1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
            1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
              At higher revs in the Mercedes 300D I experienced a severe loss of power due to fuel restriction. I know it was the CAV causing this because when I bypasssed the CAV, there was no such power loss.
              Bruce,

Going by what you said, I think you had a minor air leak through the CAV filter. I understand you are using a different type of filter now. How is it going so far?
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

Bruce,
                I have 2, 300Ds converted using CAV filters for the Veggie oil. In both of these, the filters are located on the pressure side of the lift pump. I have not suffered flow restriction caused by the CAV filter, when using RYCO cartridges (I did using a Delphi cartridge, but that's another story). I more frequently suffer from fuel flow restriction in the in-line mesh filters before the fuel lift pump (either due to high mp oil or tank sludge). I backflush these using a small container of diesel, sucking and blowing, until the blockage clears. I then reinstall the same filter.

It is my practice to replace filters only when indicated by low fuel pressure (dropping below 0 Bar) during acceleration.

If your vehicle is "sucking" thru the CAV, you may have issues with air leaks, especially if the fuel is not heated before the filter. These can be stopped by ensuring that the seals and O rings are seated correctly during assembly. Don't forget the O ring under the bolt head.
                You may wish to check the unused ports of the CAV are sealed effectively, as these can also be a source of air ingress.

Regards,
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by MB300D81 View Post
                  Bruce,

Going by what you said, I think you had a minor air leak through the CAV filter. I understand you are using a different type of filter now. How is it going so far?
                  Hi Fitian. The air leak problem I had was with the new Cummins/Fleetguard head as well, but that has now been sorted with the aid of the Cummins service manager. The problem was caused by a missing seal under the bolthead and as it was missing from the filter package as well, I wasn’t aware it was needed. No air leaks now, but the 10micron separators are also looking to be too good for SVO at high revs and have handed the problem over to him to try to solve! I’ll let you know how this goes.

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                  Bruce,
                  I have 2, 300Ds converted using CAV filters for the Veggie oil. In both of these, the filters are located on the pressure side of the lift pump. I have not suffered flow restriction caused by the CAV filter, when using RYCO cartridges (I did using a Delphi cartridge, but that's another story). I more frequently suffer from fuel flow restriction in the in-line mesh filters before the fuel lift pump (either due to high mp oil or tank sludge). I backflush these using a small container of diesel, sucking and blowing, until the blockage clears. I then reinstall the same filter.

It is my practice to replace filters only when indicated by low fuel pressure (dropping below 0 Bar) during acceleration.

If your vehicle is "sucking" thru the CAV, you may have issues with air leaks, especially if the fuel is not heated before the filter. These can be stopped by ensuring that the seals and O rings are seated correctly during assembly. Don't forget the O ring under the bolt head.
                  You may wish to check the unused ports of the CAV are sealed effectively, as these can also be a source of air ingress.

Regards,
                  Tony
                  Hi Tony. I pretty much exhausted all the avenues with the CAV, although I did not try the Fleetguard FF167 (was previously using the upgrade FF167A). The CAVs are not easy to sort out and filter changes are a PITA too compared to the simplicity of a spin-on. Anyway, my aim was to go with a water separating filter which is something that the CAV cannot do, so no matter what, I'm putting the CAV behind me

When you mention “the pressure side of the lift pump” do you mean the electric lift pump or the stock Bosch? I seem to recall that you had an additional electric pump but am not sure if you still run that? I regularly check my inline filter but don’t seem to have a problem with it. I did have a problem at one stage with blocking of the veg tank pick up screen and the tank connector, but this went away since I started adding 100ml white spirit to the tank.

I like the idea of monitoring fuel pressure as you have the benefit of knowing when your cartridge is plugged. I’d be interested in how you’ve installed this. Maybe a new post
                  bruceT
                  Last edited by bruceT; 9 July 2007, 02:37 PM.
                  Cheers
                  Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
                  1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
                  1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

I am now using a throwaway clear filter. Its running well so for 500km.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
                      SNIP

When you mention “the pressure side of the lift pump” do you mean the electric lift pump or the stock Bosch? I seem to recall that you had an additional electric pump but am not sure if you still run that? I regularly check my inline filter but don’t seem to have a problem with it. I did have a problem at one stage with blocking of the veg tank pick up screen and the tank connector, but this went away since I started adding 100ml white spirit to the tank.

I like the idea of monitoring fuel pressure as you have the benefit of knowing when your cartridge is plugged. I’d be interested in how you’ve installed this. Maybe a new post
                      Bruce,
                      On the Fatmobile, I am using the electric fuel pump for the starting fuel from my 20 litre HDPE 'cleaning chemical' drum in the boot. I am running a looped system for that tank.

The stock fuel pump works well on veggie. My fuel selection valve is after the fuel filters.

On Elisabeth, I am using 2 Pollak valves to switch the lift pump between fuels, filters injection pump and return lines (both fuels return to tank). The FPHE is immediately before the IP and I have a HOH before the CAV on veggie.
                      In both vehicles, I am using a turbo boost gauge (+20 psi to -30" Hg) plumbed in immediately before the IP.

Regards,
                      Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                      X