PDA

View Full Version : New Brisbane User - Requesting Help

Nigel
23rd October 2005, 12:54 PM
Hello

I am looking at biodiesel as a feul source, I have no idea of methods, costs or required equipment. I live in brisbane if some one could pass some information to me that would be great.

Thank you

Peda
24th October 2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Nigel I live in Brisbane north suburbs. I have not yet made any fuel and am still in the process of gathering information such as chemical suppliers etc.
I have a few postings which you might find useful..
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?t=39
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38

Also here are some links to the whole process..
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/
http://www.localb100.com/book.html
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html#wash

I have been reading and researching this topic now for some months, so it is just a matter of getting the equipment together now.
I drive a Nissan 4.2Td 4wd and I use about 60 to 90 ltrs of fuel a month so I would be aiming at making about that much at a time. I asked at the local thai restaurant the other night for their waste cooking oil which he said I could have but they only use about 20 ltrs a month, so I will need a larger supply than that, although that would still be good oil to use.
The Appleseed processor is the equipment I aim to set up.

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

There is lots of information in these links and it will take time to digest so read and enjoy.

regards
Peter

91GQ
9th November 2005, 12:11 PM
Hi there all I am in Toowoomba, and looking at getting into the Biodiesel game, one for the fuel being better for the environment, but also that the information that I am reading is stating that it is alot cheaper than what we are having to pay now for fuel.... Is there anyone around this area that would be interested in onselling this to me, if the price is right and it doesn't damage my engine.

The car that I have is a:
1991 Nissan Patrol GQ
4.2L natural desiel

Thanks
Adrian.

Robert
10th November 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi Adrian,

I've not seen any QLD people reply to you on this yet, so I'll have a quick go on their behalf.

The subject of making and using biodiesel is a bit of a touchy one in Australia due to our ridiculous tax laws on this. This has caused most people who could be making a thriving scene, go underground. See this thread here (http://www.sydneybiodiesel.com/content/view/40/25/) and this FAQ (http://www.sydneybiodiesel.com/content/view/40/25/) here for more info.

Essentially, there is a whole army of people out there who could be helping you all out. There are already some people in some parts of Australia that do secretly on-sell biodiesel to their mates. If you are very lucky, you will find people publically willing to admit to making it (under an alias on a web forum of course), but you will certainly not find anyone willing to admit to selling it publically.

In Sydney, we were lucky enough to find a commercially made source that we are able to buy as a group (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8). This enabled us to be "legitimate" biodiesel users.

I know that the Australian Biodiesel Group (http://www.biodiesel.net.au/), who run the plant that supplied our group are opening a plant in QLD soon. Not sure if there are any other sources up there. If any of you want a private (hidden and locked away area like we use for our Sydney group) space to discuss this stuff, let me know. You may be lucky and get someone private messaging you to help...:cool:

joe
10th November 2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Adrian and Nigel,

local (to seQLD) commercial BD producders are non existant. So we, like most other around the world are left to our devices. There is loads of solid info available through google. I'd start reading at these websites;
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
http://www.schnews.org.uk/diyguide/howtomakebiodiesel.htm.

These are the two I started with. Then I drifted towards the forums once I had the basics, and then I started asking loads of the questions.

I figure I'll need to make somewhere between 200-300lts a month. So I'll be looking at making a 200 ltr batch a fortnight or so. I have all of my quotes and am starting to gather all the equipment. Slowly...

Good luck and welcome to the BD community.

Joe

91GQ
10th November 2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for that info Robert, yeh I have had a PM from another supporter on this forum, but depending on the reply that we get on this thread I might take you up on that offer of the private thread.

Thanks
Adrian

dillyman
22nd November 2005, 04:07 PM
:) Hi, I live in Hervey Bay Qld, I have followed many webb pages both in US and Oz. I would be very interested in the Bio D product but have little idea how to access Methanol and Lye supplies. The Hobby shops around my area dont use it and enquiries have not produced much success. I have been testing processes with Petro Diesel which I have had good result from small test batches, and have now most of the equipment to set up a distilling plant of a modest scale. I would prefer however to be into the bio-diesel user area as it is I believe a superior product for our engines, also assisting a longer engine life in the bargain, I believe small problems with B100 can be resolve with going to B95 or B80. I have read volumes over the past couple of months but always from people geagraphically removed from where I live. I have retired now and would like to get a better klm for my $. It is a matter of making the best of what we have got. I am ready to get started on some project to meet my motoring needs. I have a 1996 Hi-Ace Commuter camper (2.8Lt) and a 1980 Toyo Troupy (3.75Lt) - both diesel. I would be happy to share any info I have accumalated and would be happy to discuss any matter in these areas. You only win by sharing and this type of forum is terrific. Any one interested in exchange of local info or whatever then great.
I am also on skype as dillyau

To everyone

All the good oil!

Dillyman

Robert
22nd November 2005, 07:16 PM
Hi Dillyman,

Quite a few Queenslanders are now appearing in the forum. Some are near each other and some are not. It will only be a matter of time before more biodiesel folk pop in here that are geographically close to you. Also, now that you have mentioned your location (I've added it to your profile), search engines will find you here. It takes about 3-4 days now for google to list new posts, so if anyone does a search on "hervey bay biodiesel" they will find you.
I'll also be adding skype integration into the forum soon, so you can have a little icon at the top of your posts and people can just click it to skype you. Hopefully others will find this useful too.
Good luck with the biodiesel production, I'm sure you'll find some help in here. Let us know how it goes. :)

Robert
22nd November 2005, 09:42 PM
I've just added some quick and dirty code to make Skype usernames work via your profile. Dillyman, go to your control panel (the link called "User CP" in the top left), then choose "Edit Profile" on the left and under "instant messaging, you will now see an option for "skype handle" enter your skype name in there, save changes and it should appear as a little skype icon in your name bar above any posts you make.
You can see the little green "S" in mine. This should enable others to easily find you on skype.
In the near future, I'll be running another upgrade to the forum which will integrate skype better than this, but if you at least put your skype name into your profile, you will be ready when it happens.

Cheers,

dillyman
23rd November 2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Robert,

Thankyou for your info about the SKYPE icon inclusion, especially with the "dirty Code" as you call it. That will make voice contact easier, quicker and thanks to your skills and prompt response safe for discussion. Especially in a close geographical hook up. I may have a methanol source soon I hope it proves to be so, N of Bris. A major supplier if information is accurate. I will advise if this is correct.

Rgds,

All the good Oil!

Dillyman

joe
28th November 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Dillyman,

I've rung a fuel depot in Gympie that sells Methanol in 20Ltr drums. The details are as follows:

BP/Reliance Gympie Gateway
address : 295 Brisbane Rd, Gympie Qld 4570
phone : 07 5482 9744
fax : 07 5482 9282

Not sure about the prince but the BP/Releiance at Nambour has it for $39. Also the 200Lts drums are $214. They would be similar prices there hopefully.

Joe

dillyman
30th November 2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Joe ,
Thanks for the added info. Sorry for not responding been off the air. My ISP has been doiing big cganges and it blew my coonection away, for the past 2/3 day my password would not work. Gee there are words for times like this.

Thanks again Joe. Will follow that up soon. Cheers!!!

dillyman:)

dillyman
19th January 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi Joe,

I was sure I had replied to your request for prices ,locations etc, but I cannot find it so here it is. The Gympie station is able to supply 20Lt drums at $50.60 and will ship in 200 lt drums at $334.00. Nice big mark up for shipping down the road.

I have found another supplier more local to Hervey Bay. Not actually called in yet so will reserve any definate info. His prices however are $50.60 for 20 Lts. A 200 LT (44gll) drum is $250.00

I will confirm this info in a couple of weeks when I intend to purchase, as I am so close to start up WoW!!! Exciting Eh!

Looking forward to the the chat line, I hope you can connect me soon.

Thanks for the leads, appreciated.

Rgds

Dillyman

Matt
1st February 2006, 09:54 PM
Nigel to answer your question cost is variable but let me tell you what I do.

Methanol $190 per 200 litres
KOH Approx $50 per 25 kg bag
Sulphuric acid $50 per 15 litres

I use acid base since my oil which does not titrate very high (3.5) uses less KOH in a base stage. The amount of KOH that I save on costs more than the Sulphuric Acid i use. It also maximises yield as the free fatty acids are made into biodeisel before you do a base catalyst stage.

If I scale up and give it to you in 1000 litres lots then the costs would be
$190 methanol, 10kg KOH $20, Acid 1 litre $3, electricity $2, water $3 plus my time. So that comes to $218 for 1000 litres, or 22 cents per litre! This will scale up or down depending on batch size, it is most important that you buy your ingrediants at the lowest price, which is where I can help out. I have done this long enough to have found the cheapest/best suppliers!

Love it yet?
Matt

garyr
10th February 2006, 08:30 PM
maybe we should all meet up some time in brissy and compare notes etc. I am in strathpine and interested in learning about the acid method I am making it using caustic soda and methanol only making 20 litre lots but that does me a while as i ride a motor bike to work a lot of the jargon on the bio diesel sites can easily make it all sound to hard but when someone shows you the very basics its not that hard at all
cheers gary:D

andrewrc
20th June 2006, 02:11 AM
Matt,
I have read many posts about costs etc for base materials but you have succinctly laid it all out. Well done. I actually didn't realise it could be that cheap! I am thinking of trading the X Trail in and buying a more serious 4WD, preferably on diesel. I was at the Land Rover dealership on the weekend and the look on their face when you speak about bio diesel was priceless. You sound an astute user of bio diesel, have you ever had mechanical problems and would you recommend running a new vehicle on BD?
I am looking at setting a BD 'home plant' up and if I cannot secure about 100L of WVO or similar a week (to produce about 100L of BD after catalyst is added) I would consider a small seed crusher as a part of my plant. Have you ever considered buying the natural seed and crushing it or do you have consistenet supplier of oil?
The information on this site is excellent and I look forward to being able to make a contribution to this site and the environment.

Matt
20th June 2006, 12:00 PM
Flattery will get you everywhere they say!

Well talk to Robert the site admin re the latest Landrovers on bio but I believe they do. It is worthwhile carefully selecting a new or more particularly a second hand vehicle to run on bio as some are not happy and can be affected by the use of it.

Saying that, any modern diesel should run on it, so when you think of what you would like to get come back and ask.

I run a toyota 80 series turbo diesel (98) and a peugeot 307HDi (2004) and others on this forum run a variety of vehicles, so feel free to ask.

I have not had mechanical problems but many fuel starvation issues due to either gunk left over from mineral diesel or a slowly blocking filter due to fine particulates in my bio.

It is not an exact science as yet but the more you know the better of you are. As for seed crushing there are issues with degumming it and possibly some others but they are most likely solvable.

Visit the infopop biodiesel forum (do a google search on infopop and biodiesel and you will get there) and they will also happily relate their experiences too.

Regards,
Matt

JimmyB
9th August 2006, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

I am new to biodiesel and have been doing alot of reading on it over the last few months.

I have secured a source of 40-60L per week of used veggie oil and have a couple more in the pipeline.

It looks like I just missed the meetup last month which was a pity.

Being based in Brisbane I would really like to see someone elses setup and possibly find someone to mentor me in the process.

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

picolo
20th August 2006, 10:41 AM
Hi All,
Just joined and would like to say what a pleasure it is to find a community of like minded people. I too am ready to start making Bio-Diesel and would like to meet up with anyone in the greater Brisbane area that will soon be making a batch to get some hands on feel for the process.

Also, from the posts, I gather that there is a regular meet up; could I get an invite for this.

Many Thanks

Matt
22nd August 2006, 10:02 PM
Good evening Picolo,

No one else has responded and I felt quite bad so I thought I would hop in. The local group is a bit quiet at the moment as they are either all too busy working or are starting up operations. I am sure there will be another get together.

As for experience that is up to someone who has a small setup to show you. Its not me unfortunately either sad to say. Hopefully someone will jump in, where abouts do you live, east, west south or north? If its out the west suburbs I may be able to help, otherwise lets wait and see who pops up?

Regards,
Matt

91GQ
29th August 2006, 01:10 PM
Hey there all, yeh I have been fairly quiet in regards to this site, but once again I thinking of setting up the biggest draw back is the fact that I have no where to do it... I think that I have found somewhere now and want to have look at someones setup as well, so that I know what is happening and what it all looks like... yeh I know I am cheating but it is all ways good to have a look at what someone else has done.... the only problem is that I am in Toowoomba and everyone that I see on this site is in Brisbane, which I don't really get to that much (got to love the cost of fuel, diesel and petrol).

So if there is anyone out there that lives in Toowoomba or close by then give me a holler and we can talk.

PS sorry that I wasn't able to come to the first meeting but you have to love the family commitments......

oilburner
3rd September 2006, 12:16 PM
I have just found this Forum today and have been doing a bit of reading on Bio and I am VERY interested in going into home production.
I am central suburban Brisbane and would like to meet with a producer and observe the setup and process, please.

Any helpers??

Cheers

marty666
27th March 2007, 07:48 PM
hey i was looking to start up on a small basis and i think buying 25kg of KOH is a bit too much for me so i was wondering if there were others out there in my position and wanted to go in with me on he purchase

Sunshine Fuels
22nd May 2007, 07:11 PM
We are a small regional business that has been interested in setting up to supply BD consumables to BD enthusiasts or some time. We have personally been making and using BD for about 12 months. We need more exposure if we are to enter the supply market. We are based north of Brisbane, already opperate in the chemical wholesale market and our distribution is sound and already cover the area a from the Tweed to Bowen with our existing business. Currently, we can supply small to bulk KOH, Methanol, and bulk oil and are looking at adding hardware such as pumps, motors and reactors to the range soon. We are interested in contacting someone that can help us put our DIY Biodiesel Warehouse in Queensland on the map. Our expertise is in the distribution end so all you manufaturers don't get worried. We're distributiors not manufaturers. We can also supply from local manufatures (prefered) or we can import. If you want to know more check out our website Sunshine Fuels (http://sunshinefuels.com.au) The website has been under construction for about 6 months but will progresvely be updated over the next 3 months including a warehouse price list.
Cheers
Peter