Peugeot 406 on 100% Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 406 on 100% Biodiesel

Has anyone had trouble wih the computerised injection pump on the 406. (Bosch?)
    After nearly a year there is a huge fuel leak from underneath it .
    It may not be bio related as its a highish mileage car at 110000?
    It has been running so well up till now ...faultless, it is such a shame!
    It became difficult to start and so I changed the fuel filter and used the black lemon to prime (which looks like a very old prune), then noticed the fuel peeing out from the drive end of the pump.( I will replace the black lemon) but the fuel leak....AAAAGH !
    cheers

Re: Peugeot 406 on 100% Biodiesel

Sounds like your pump seal is stuffed. Older vehicles have natural rubber seals, which degrade slowly when you use biodiesel. When you get the seal replaced, see if they'll give you a biodiesel tolerant one, which will last much longer.

Cheers,

Suzy

Comment

Hello Suzie

I think you will find that no car built since WW I has used Natural rubber anywhere in their fuel system.
      Petroleum products attack Natural rubber just like biodiesel.
      Mud flaps on the other hand...

Comment

Meant to write nitrile...

Thanks for picking up the stuff-up

Comment

OK, I may not have too much useful to offer here in the way of advice, but I'll just give a quick translation, as some of us Australians in here may not know what you're on about.

Firstly, 110,000 miles = 177,000kms. The "black lemon" is the little fuel priming pump, which on a Peugeot is on the fuel line and is a simple black rubber pump that works by squeezing, much the same as a priming pump on an outboard motor. Simple but effective.

Though in this case not very effective, as by the "old prune" description, it sounds like it has perished or softened?

Now, I'm not sure what the normal expected life of this pump is without expecting any leaks from it, so don't be too quick to blame biodiesel. What is the age of the car? Where were you getting the biodiesel from?
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Thank you all for these interesting comments.

It seems that we need to establish exactly what is going on with regard to types of rubber and their resistance to chemical attack.
            My Peugeot 406 is a 1998 model and has been a joy to use on biodiesel.
            The fuel is made from transesterfied waste oils that are heated / filtered and then methanol/caustic soda reacted.
            I then use a high pressure pump to force the fuel through a large capacity 1 micron filter before storage in an air bubble tank.I then feed through a column of amberlite phenolic ion-exchange resin.
            The fuel does not smell of alcohol and is perfectly clear.
            The specific gravity is always around 0.900.
            I have run on 100% biodiesel for about a year which is about 23,000 miles .
            cheers.

Comment

Certainly sounds like a seal issue to me, and it should not be the case in such a reasonbale young vehicle. Unfortunately you have no option but to get it looked at, but the thing to do is INSIST that you get viton seals in the pump, not oem, not after market or anything else.Check the fuel bulb is not perishing as well as looking at your fuel lines.Above all else, have funMatt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I support Matts advice, with only one change - Do Not Stress about it.

Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

After many phone calls I got the information back from the engineer that changed the pump (back in July 2007). He said the cam belt was over tensioned which had worn the bearing on the pump and thence the seal. About 6 months before all this trouble I had another garage change the cam belt as a precaution , I was not sure of the car's history .
                  The garage sorting out my troubles told me they would not guarantee the replacement pump on B100. The fitter said it would be fine , he knew of plenty of 406s running B100 for over a year. PHEW. Cost about £500
                  but B100 NOT THE PROBLEM ! (have been fine since pump change 6 months ago)

Comment

Just to let you know my 307 HDi (2004 model) has seal issues and you would think they would not by now!

Your front seals are most likely like mine and are viton, pity is the rest of them are not. I have two seals which are rubber and are breaking down, so be warned.

Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Hello dieselphile

It is usually not easy to overtension cam belts. There is usually a spring that sets the tension. The tension is usually not dependant on the skills of the mechanic to get it right.
                      But the Peugeot may be different.

Comment

Working...
                      X