Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for fellow biodieslians

G'day All,
    I am currently building a Biodiesel processor out of an old ringer washing machine(copied from a friend in brisbane), by taking the ringer off the top and then fixing another ringer bowl to the top of the existing bowl, increasing the capacity to 120 litres (approx).
    I just want to ask a couple of questions in regards to this contraption
    and a couple about the end product and the van.

• This washing machine has a heating element coiled around the base of the shaft in the bowl near the drain hole. would this be safe and also be handy to heat the W.V.O to 50 degrees or could glycerine end up geting mucked up in it after the reaction has taken place and end up dirtying the biodiesel?
    • I am thinking about sealing the two washing machine bowls using industrial grade silicon that said it is chemical resistant but not recommended for use with petrol, distilite or some other hydrocarbon solvents. do you think it will be o.k.?
    • This is probaly a contraversial question and one frequently asked, but is water washing neccecary for good quality fuel?
    • I have a toyota hiace 94 model 2.8 litre diesel and i am wondering if i should change any of the seals or hoses - say to synthetic - if they are not allready?
    Cheers to all readers and repliers
    Luke

Re: Questions for fellow biodieslians

Originally posted by intuo
    G'day All,
    I am currently building a Biodiesel processor out of an old ringer washing machine(copied from a friend in brisbane), by taking the ringer off the top and then fixing another ringer bowl to the top of the existing bowl, increasing the capacity to 120 litres (approx).
    I just want to ask a couple of questions in regards to this contraption
    and a couple about the end product and the van.
    • This washing machine has a heating element coiled around the base of the shaft in the bowl near the drain hole. would this be safe and also be handy to heat the W.V.O to 50 degrees or could glycerine end up geting mucked up in it after the reaction has taken place and end up dirtying the biodiesel?
    • I am thinking about sealing the two washing machine bowls using industrial grade silicon that said it is chemical resistant but not recommended for use with petrol, distilite or some other hydrocarbon solvents. do you think it will be o.k.?
    • This is probaly a contraversial question and one frequently asked, but is water washing neccecary for good quality fuel?
    • I have a toyota hiace 94 model 2.8 litre diesel and i am wondering if i should change any of the seals or hoses - say to synthetic - if they are not allready?
    Cheers to all readers and repliers
    Luke
    Hi Luke
    "Heating element in the bowl" COOL!! Please post a photo of this kind of washing machine. I'm right into this retrofitting ol' wash machines. YEP its perfect for heating the WVO. dont worry about the glycerine, just turn the element OFF during the split phase.
    2. Methanol IS a hydrocarbon solvent, so if the silicon cant handle hydrocarbons the meth will eat it.
    Sorry cant help you re Fuel lines in Toyota's , although CERES had a major drama getting to the primary fuel filtre in the tank under the floor.
    Someone with loads of experience with Toyota Hiaces is Geoff of CERES, he runs "liesel" the Diesel, the CERES communal Van.
    Contact CERES here.
    Cheers Darren.
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 23 May 2006, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I also want to know, if water washing neccesary for good quality fuel?
      gaan oat da windyman

Comment

From what i have read on the biofuel sites let it settle for at least 4 weeks or wash, dry,test and use.
        I think washing the fuel has been a very good source of information for me about how my abilitys and knowledge have slowly improved.
        If i did not wash and did not do lots and lots of 1 to 4 litre test batches i would have given up.
        I took peoples advice and still made mistake but only 1 to 4 litre mistake.

Comment

Unwashed biodiesel can have residual glycerine in it. This can glogg up in your inline fuel filtre/ water trap. If your gonna run unwashed BD, be sure to carry a spare inline filtre in your glovebox and the tools to change it. If your filtre becomes overly clogged your car will simply stop as fuel cant get through the fuel line to the injectors.
          I have run unwashed BD in my Merc. and needed to change the filtre on occasion. I now only run washed BD, and havent bothered with changing filtres outside of normal servicing.

Comment

Working...
          X