Heat Exchanger temperature graph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Exchanger temperature graph

I have done some tests to determine the effectiveness of the fuel heater which I have installed in one of my 300Ds. I fitted this car with a '78 OM617 engine (was a 280E before the rings went south). It has a 20 plate FPHE immediately before the IP and return to tank on both fuels.

The start-up tank (stock tank) has biodiesel in it and uses the stock fuel lines.
    The veggie tank is a custom made 70+ litre steel tank, using 8mm nylon air line for supply and return, wrapped (as a Hose On Hose) with the coolant lines going to the tank heating coil, which is brazed under the bottom of the mild steel tank. This does not provide significant heating to the tank, but allows any solidified oil to be melted and mixed with the liquid oil and therefore consumed in the engine.

Both fuels pass to a Pollak valve which selects the fuel in use, to go to the stock fuel pump, the output of which is steered to the respective filter by the second part of the Pollak. A second Pollak valve switches the selected fuel to the IP (via the FPHE) and the IP return line to the appropriate tank. by the second part of this Pollak

The stock filter is used for the stock fuel tank and a CAV fuel filter, with an aluminium coolant/fuel heat exchanger, is used for the vegetable oil fuel.
    A MB coolant pump is used to assist coolant flow through the oil heating circuit.

I started the temperature data logger, started the car and idled the car down my driveway to the gate, where I put out the bins (rubbish day is Monday ). I then drove the car up the highway at full power for around 5 minutes, by which time, the temperature of the coolant and the oil leaving the FPHE had stabilised.

The following graph is from the recorded data for that period.

Should you wish to use the graph please contact me for permission to use it.

As can be seen, the limiting time in this experiment, is the time the engine takes to reach operating temperature. The vegetable oil follows the coolant temperature within 30 seconds once the engine was loaded and stabilised within 5°C of the coolant temperature.

All measurements were done with the thermocouples immersed in the fluid being measured.

The fuel in use during this test was biodiesel:veggie blended at 1:1, and the HOH for the vegetable oil and heated CAV filter were not in circuit.

Methinks that this is a reasonably effective heater, and that a 30 plate would not be of any real advantage on a diesel engine unless its fuel consumption (and/or fuel flow return to tank) was much greater than those parameters on this engine. I have not made any measurements of the fuel flow during this test, other than that the test was performed at maximum power setting of the IP at speeds starting at standstill and reaching 90 Kmh at the 7 minute mark, at which time I eased off the power to remain within the speed limits. The road has a moderate slope and it is difficult for the 300D to accelerate to the speed limit on this road.

I have a 10 plate FPHE which I will try to get time to fit to this car, to test for it's heating performance. I will post the results as they are recorded.
    I will look at adding the 4th thermocouple to the IP return line, to measure the temperature rise of the IP, as the return fuel would be indicative of the IP internal temperature.

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 4 October 2008, 02:28 AM. Reason: Restored link to test result graph
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Heat Exchanger temperature graph

Great info Tony and well presented.
    I spose you will get a 100 pains in the arse asking for variations on the test but mine would be that I'd like to see the numbers when the HE was placed Before the filters like I believe most people are doing. I'd like to see what sort of heat bleed things like CAV's and the OEM brackets and pump cause.

It would also be interesting to see the temps of the return lines to see how long the pump itself takes to heat up rather than just the fuel going into it.

Looking forward to your next test results.
    Last edited by Guest; 20 June 2007, 02:10 AM. Reason: Where has that spell check gorne?

Comment

Great info, perhaps the basis of the next paper?
      I guess perhaps knowing fuel flow into the engine would be a good idea, only because I suspect my landcruiser sucks a lot more in and returns it to the tank, compared to my mercedes. (a 10 k drive sucking from diesel and returning to the veg tank shifted about 10 L)
      Mind you I now realise I can do this more easily than Tony (as I have one of each cars)
      Would doing it a idle be a reasonable test?
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Judging by that graph, I'd say there would be a fair bit of room in regard to the available oil flow, as next to none of the heat available is being used to heat the oil (because the flow of coolant is so much greater than flow of oil). That is evident from the temperature difference between the in and the out flows of coolant.
        So even an engine that uses more fuel would probably still get good heating of the fuel in this setup.

It would be interesting to log in tank temperatures or inlet oil temperature also.

Do you get much solidification of the oil/fat in your tank/lines overnight Tony?
        Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Great work Tony. I agree with you on the efficiency of these FPHE units. Comparitively the coolant flow far exceeds the fuel flow so that you get very good effiency from these relatively small units. You've demonstrated that anything more than a 20 plate FPHE in a car the size of a 300D is likely a waste of money and more importantly, a waste of space!

Looking forward to the tests on the effects of the components up to the IP

I then drove the car up the highway at full power for around 5 minutes....
          Awesome
          Cheers
          Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
          1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
          1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Thanks for the support.
            I have decided to do the 10 plate next, and as I only have 4 inputs on the datalogger, I will add the return line temperature then. The return line should behave similarly for a given fuel temperature rise, as the thermal lag of the IP would be the same. The only variable I see, if the fuel temperature ri was slower, is the engine oil temperature, as it lubricates the IP on the OM617 engine and may cause a more rapid increase in IP temperature.

I will consider using the FPHE before the veggie filter, but as I have a HOH, and the engine would be hot before the changeover, the results will not be as clear as otherwise would be the case (added heat from CAV heater & HOH).
            Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Plotting the coolant temp which most people use as an indication for changeover against the return fuel temp of the IP I'm sure would would be very interesting.

The IP is a significant chunk of metal and I believe the lag in it's temp rise against the coolant or hot oil temp will be significant. I think the engine oil is more likely to pull heat out of the IP rather than warm it up, for some time.

I have maintained for a while now that an engine needs to be warmed up for a lot longer than just the time it takes to get the coolant up to temp and I'm sure this test of the return fuel temp against the coolant temp rise would illustrate that.

Comment

How did you get the thermocouples immersed in the liquid being measured?
                (or should I ask, how did you do this without lots of leaks?)
                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

oh I did not know 30 plat is no good. I won it on EBay last week but I will not pay for it now. where to buy 20 plat now?

thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Barfito View Post
                    oh I did not know 30 plat is no good. I won it on EBay last week but I will not pay for it now. where to buy 20 plat now?

thanx
                    Barfito,
                    My results did not show that a 30 plate is no good, it just showed that for my vehicle, there was no need for me to use a 30 plate. Other vehicles may have different fuel flow/coolant flow conditions which may justify a smaller or larger FPHE.

If you did not want the 30 plate you purchased, most likely from one of our forum members, then you shouldn't have bid on it. By not paying, you cause the seller costs and gain yourself a name as a "non-payer" and that is akin to having a bad credit rating.

If you get it and try it out, but do not wish to continue using it, you can sell it to someone else, preferably adding why you are selling it, rather than just not passing that info on. Poorly or deceptively listed items give the sellers as bad a name as non-payment gives buyers.

At this stage I do not know od any sellers of 20 plate FPHEs in Australia.
                    I know that there will be some coming onto the market early next month.

Just keep looking on eBay, they will list there.

Regards,
                    Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                    X