Toyota Prado RV 2002 & SAFF Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Prado RV 2002 & SAFF Biodiesel

I am new to this forum & would appreciate some feedback on the pros & cons of SAFF 100% Bio on my Toyota Prado RV. I have replaced the fuel filter after 2 refills (it was relatively clean).

Re: Toyota Prado RV 2002 & SAFF Biodiesel

Welcome to the wonderful world of biofuels.
    I was using SAFF B100 until I started making my own (actually I still buy the SAFF B100 whenever my missus uses it faster than I can make it).
    Sounds like your fuel system was already reasonably clean. Probably a good idea to keep an eye on the filters though. I did have an issue with the SAFF product for about 4 days last year when the o/night temperature dipped below -5 for almost a week running. Clearly the cloud point was passed and the car ran like a pig for a few minutes until it got warm enough to for some radiant heat to find its way through the fuel system. I am anticipating having exactly the same problem with my own fuel this year as its an issue for everyone that uses B100.
    The pros as I see it: its cheaper, and more environmentally friendly, and your car will smell like a bbq instead of a stinky diesel.
    The cons: At really cold temps it can present problems until you have enough radiant heat from the engine to return normality, you have to be a bit vigilant about changing fuel filters. You may also need to change the flexible hoses in the fuel system at some point in the future.
    Hope that is of some help.
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Replacing after 2 refills is a bit excessive, run with it until the car feels a bit low in response or misses, then replace it and save the expense, Toyota filters are not cheap!

Might be wise to look at a CAV / Delphi 296 filter for it, they are cheaper and smaller so require replacement more frequently, I do mine with the oil every 5 to 10K km. An adapter wo spin into the toyota fitting will set you back about $120 but you retain the ability to use either filter that way.

Matt
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by zigparacingtadpole View Post
        Welcome to the wonderful world of biofuels.
        I was using SAFF B100 until I started making my own (actually I still buy the SAFF B100 whenever my missus uses it faster than I can make it).
        Sounds like your fuel system was already reasonably clean. Probably a good idea to keep an eye on the filters though. I did have an issue with the SAFF product for about 4 days last year when the o/night temperature dipped below -5 for almost a week running. Clearly the cloud point was passed and the car ran like a pig for a few minutes until it got warm enough to for some radiant heat to find its way through the fuel system. I am anticipating having exactly the same problem with my own fuel this year as its an issue for everyone that uses B100.
        The pros as I see it: its cheaper, and more environmentally friendly, and your car will smell like a bbq instead of a stinky diesel.
        The cons: At really cold temps it can present problems until you have enough radiant heat from the engine to return normality, you have to be a bit vigilant about changing fuel filters. You may also need to change the flexible hoses in the fuel system at some point in the future.
        Hope that is of some help.
        If you segregate the oil used fro biodiesel production into high and low melting point oils you can use the oil which is liquid in winter to make a lower melting point (MP) biodiesel for winter use and the rest to make a higher MP oil for summer use.
        By allowing your biodiesel to stand at least a week in the shade, it will allow the high MP biodiesel to solidify so that you can use only the low MP biodiesel in your vehicle.

Any high MP biodiesel not used in winter will melt for use in summer. It is unlikely that solidified biodiesel will degrade significantly in that time if kept dry and out of direct sunlight. The surface layer may be subject to some oxidation, but as no circulation occurs in the solid biodiesel, this should be localised to the surface.

Lieben,
        You may wish to install a cheap see-through filter before the stock fuel filter, to see if crud is coming from your fuel tank. If this must be cleaned frequently, then you can make a decision on fitting a different or an additional fuel filter.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
        X