SVO Forums Reorganised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO Forums Reorganised?

I must confess, being a biodiesel person, I've not really read/overseen the threads in here, as I don't really use SVO. When I first created the forums, I set up a section for SVO and just left it.

I can see that it is now quite an active place and could possibly do with some better organisation to avoid a long list of threads in the one "bucket".

I'd suggest splitting the forum into a few relevant sub-forum areas, but as I have not really got much idea about SVO, I don't really know what these should be.

What I'd like is for someone who frequents this area more and knows all about it to suggest some ways to better organise the SVO section and I'll implement them (if possible).

Any ideas?
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: SVO Forums Reorganised?

Robert,
    I think that there should be sub-forums for Vehicle conversions (including equipment needed), Blending of veggie to redice viscosity, filtering (prefiltering and in-car) and a general discussion area.

Perhaps there could be a common forum for biodiesel and WVO groups, for oil colection methods and supplier support.

As I use the "New since last visit" most of the time, I normally don't notice the forum / sub-forum structures.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I think all the sub catergories are relevent to SVO users and most people would be interested in all of them.
      I find clicking through a lot of sub catergories and long lists of those rather annoying myself.

Like Tony, I usually use the " new" button and work through that list rather than the indexes themselves.

Comment

Hi Robert

Sub forums would be particularly useful for new members in particular who wish to read up on the topic that interests them. It makes perfect sense to categorise topics, ie. equipment, filtering, conversions and general. Regulars can still use the "new posts" feature.
        Cheers
        Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
        1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
        1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Yes, I too hardly ever look under each forum category, I just use the "new posts" link as well. However, as Bruce correctly points out, we need the forum to be better organised to cater for people who come here looking for information. Although we all can find it, as we are regulars, to a newcomer, a long list of threads can be quite daunting.

Another real problem is that I don't run a very tight ship here in terms of people going off topic, or posting in the wrong area. This is good for the sense of freedom, but bad for organisation. Also, I don't really have the time to police it and organise it properly and make sure that people do post in the right areas and stay on topic. There are a few moderators, but none of us really take on this task. Perhaps we should? Perhaps we need some more moderators willing to take on this task?

Anyway, Tony has come up with a few good ideas for sections in here:

-SVO (general discussion)
          --Blending
          --Vehicle Conversions
          --Filtering
          (I'm not really sure where to put the section for oil collection, but ask me again when I've had a few more drinks.)

If no one objects, or has any better ideas, I'll create these areas soon, but the next task will be to move the existing threads around to put them in their proper areas, then to be vigilant to move any new ones in. Any existing moderators want to help out on this, or any new moderators want to volunteer?
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

In refrence to the "On topic " thing Robert, I find the way things go now works very well. Certainly a lot of topics wander off the original subject but really, so what?

When this happens it is generally a natural progression of the infomation and discussion and people learn from it which is the whole point of these boards in the first place. If the topic stayed with the original subject, that would show interest in that specific subject but if it wanders, to me that just shows where more interest lies. It would seem counter productive for people to have to start a new thread for every question they come up with as the discussion develops.

I have been on other forums where moderators are always jumping on about keeping things on topic and moving discussions around and it only serves as an annoyance and to lessen peoples inclination to participate.

Every forum needs moderation but I think things go very well here overall and it would seem dangerous to try to fix something that isn't really broken.

Comment

David, I concur with the direction of threads, but where a poster asks questions which are off-topic for a well posted thread, or if the subject has interest for a wider audience than the thread topic indicates, I try to start a new thread, where I believe the question should have been asked, rather than anwswering it in the original thread, where the answer might become buried amongst other valuable information.

Regards,

Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
              X