PDA

View Full Version : Daihatsu Rocky - parts needed

johnno
25th June 2007, 03:14 AM
I am looking for parts for my Daihatsu Rocky. I need a gearbox and an alternator. I am in Liverpool/Sydney area. Thanks, Johnno.

smokey2
25th June 2007, 03:38 PM
Which bits of the alternator due you need?
You probably need to replace the brushes as they last about 300.000 kms. It is easy and can be done without removing the alternator. Disconnect battery and remove the plate on the top of the alternator where the wires come out. The brush holder then comes out. You need a soldering iron to unsolder/resolder new brushes. I bought a set last week from an auto elec and they cost $15. I have a complete brush holder with new brushes sitting on my kitchen table in Queanbeyan at the moment. I run 2 Rockys and keep a spare alternator back in Melbourne.

Gear box bits - whats broken? is your gear box the early type or the later vacumn variety? I rebuilt the wife's Rocky gear box last month had a broken bearing so I know a little bit about these as well.

smokey2
25th June 2007, 03:53 PM
(Read the message so now know about the box problem).

2nd gear problem is either worn syncro rings or the nut on the end of the rear shaft has got loose. A new nut is $30 - they are not cheap and you need to disassmble the transfer case to get to it. Try doubling the clutch into 2nd.

Keep an eye on the oil level in the transfer case as they tend to drain into the gear box. Gears at the top of the transfer case then fail. Check the oil in the gear box as well and if it overflows then it is a problem. Be carefull checking the gear box oil and do not remove any locked nuts as they are not the oil level plug and will cause you reverse selector to fall into the box.

My Rockys love bio so any more on that check this forum.

johnno
25th June 2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the fast reply smokey, The alternator was a total reco this morning(it was the original).
Unsure of the gearbox type at the moment as i only picked it up yesterday and drove it back from the central coast. Can change from 2nd to 3rd ok and sometimes double clutch.It wont change down from 3rd to 2nd, but if you coast out of third, drop into 1st then it will go into 2nd no probs.Will have a look underneath in the next day or two.Can the transfer be pulled out without removing the gearbox as well?The cheapest quote 2nd hand is $750 so far and reco $850 + gst + parts + $350 for fitting +gst!What a joke!!!
Now i see a crack right along the top of the radiator! thats next.
Oh, it loved the bio on the freeway and round town.
I'll should be down your way in a few weeks, so it might be worth a catchup?

Thanks Johnno.