SVO / WVO Transfer Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO / WVO Transfer Pumps

Just wondering if others can share their experiences on what they are using or have used in the past as filling or tranfer pumps.

I am thinking a 12V pump would be handier than a 240V. The fillrite FR-1604 seems to be the pump of choice in the US which I can get here for $320 + GST & freight. Another diesel transfer pump from Aussie Pumps which may be suitable retails around $280. My local irrigation shop sells a cheap 240V water pump which they say will do the job for $130 but this doesn't include hose and trigger nozzle that the first two do.

Any suggestions?

Cheeky

Re: SVO / WVO Transfer Pumps

I am using a washing machine motor powered holden red motor oil pump to transfer my oil into the car. If you wish to do it, get a metal plate, drill and tap to suit the bolt holes for the pump and drill and tap for pipes for "in" and "out". weld a frame onto the plate to mount the motor and belt on. While ratting your washing machine for the motor, make sure you get the belt pulleys and the capacitor thingy (a small cylinder with two wires hanging out of it) which needs to be connected to the motor.
    Then mount the whole lot in an earthed metal box to prevent electrocution and to cover the exposed belt. Ok I didn't either, but I use it the same way as an x-ray machine, get it all set up, then turn it on from a good distance, and dont go near it when it is operating.
    Just watch hoses coming off, it sprays oil all over the shed!

And dont expect to use the oil filter, as it works well until it blocks, then the by pass valve opens allowing unfiltered oil to go through.

I have wondered if a power steering pump would work as well.

Total cost? With a friendly scrappy and work supplied metal -$0 There are probably better pumps for this (the tapping of threads was a pain) so see what you can find.

This picture is from above, the pump is on the left, the washing machine motor is on the right.
    Captain Echidna
    Last edited by Captain Echidna; 19 May 2006, 11:40 AM.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I have been using a Chinese copy of a "Holley Blue" 10 PSI electric fuel pump as a biodiesel transfer pump for decanting the biodiesel into smaller drums (20 litre) for refuelling our 300D start tanks. It is fast and only draws around 2-3 amps.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

A pump which I was given is this one. It is a hand pump designed for pumping oil from sumps. It is a bit slow when pumping through a john deere gravity feed 10 micron filter (ty 15192 $50, and replacement filters ty15193 at $10-$15 dollars)

The pump was chinese at had on it "new oil pro service kit". I have no idea what shop it came from.
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using the cheap water pump, after modifying my priming setup a couple of times I finally got it to pump the oil which it does no problem once it's primed, probably moves around 0.5 L/sec.
          I will post more details if needed.

Thanks,

Cheeky

Comment

i use an old power stearing pump driven by old leccy motor from a dead washing machine [direction important]
            before it goes through my spin on filters i have a recirculating loop with a restricting tap so i can regulate pressure. seems to wotk pretty well with minimal cost. estimate 2 to 5 litres/min depending on restriction. i usually push it through the filters[first an oil then a fuel filter in line] at 20 to 30 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
              I have been using a Chinese copy of a "Holley Blue" 10 PSI electric fuel pump as a biodiesel transfer pump for decanting the biodiesel into smaller drums (20 litre) for refuelling our 300D start tanks. It is fast and only draws around 2-3 amps.
              Where did you get this pump Tony? (web site??)
              Do you think it would be suitable for WVO?

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna
                I am using a washing machine motor powered holden red motor oil pump to transfer my oil into the car. .
                Does the Holden oil pump leak any oil around the shaft, if so how much? When installed in the engine block any leaks at this point would just return to the sump. Maybe the power steering pump option is the way to go?
                MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

only enough to say it does a bit, I have never seen it drip, however the wall says a slightly different story.

I think definatley the power steering pump is the way to go. Entirely self contained, and easier to get the pulleys to roughly match ( washing machines use a small section belt) no tapping of a plate. Mine is starting to get a bit loud, I wonder if the RPMs are too high.

If ratting a washing machine remember the capacitor, a cylinder about 50mm long, 30mm diametre. Is required or it wont have much torque.
                  Captain Echidna
                  Last edited by Captain Echidna; 8 August 2006, 11:15 PM. Reason: spell errors

Comment

Originally posted by Sputnick
                    Where did you get this pump Tony? (web site??)
                    Do you think it would be suitable for WVO?

Glenn
                    Glenn, NBG for viscous liquids.
                    Even a 50% biodiesel and canola based UCO does not pump reliably unless heated significantly.

Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

cleaned out the shed sarvo. rediscovered the best transfer pump ever.
                      i use a power stearing pump but this works far better
                      hilman hunter oil pump.unit construction. small.great pump.sharft out on end i used to put in my electeric drill[it would take a pulley great] 1/2 " threaded in and out. Small. portable good flow and pressure no mods needed

Comment

Working...
                      X