Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 407HDI

Hi All

My first post. I have a 6 month old Peugeot 407 HDI which I run on BIO20 for Melbourne's only biofuel outlet in Boronia.

The official line from Peugeot is that BIO30 is the maximum allowable. I have run it at almost 100% but have been reluctant to continue for fear of affecting the warranty. I can see no difference in performance when using bio over regular diesel.

I could not get much sense from the distributor I got the impression they didn't know much about the subject

What would really put my mind at rest is someone with the same car telling me they have run it on 100% for ever without a problem and also had no warranty problems. I know, I should bite the bullet but the car cost a lot and I don't want any probs with Peugeot.

Love the forum, keep the faith.

Stewart

Re: Peugeot 407HDI

Hi Stewart,

I guess I am in the same predicament, near new Citroen C4 HDi. I have been running it on B20 for the last 2 tank fills. Seems to be no difference except my fuel economy is not as good but this maybe because I have been doing more around town than country driving lately.

There are 2 other outlets in Melbourne, Fina Fuels, 21 Aylward Avenue, Thomastown (factory with fuel pump down the drive) and Daniel Epstein has an outlet 'Conservo' 118 High Street Prahran (an actual service station). They both have B20 and B100 for sale although you are better off getting your fuel during business hours as I think both do not operate over the weekend. I don't live close to any of the outlets but have managed to fill up when I have been on the road.

Yes, I would love to switch over to B100 too, and save the planet as well as a few dollars. I think we are OK using B20, but unless you want to void your warrantee stick to B20. Its also a good idea to stick with commercially produced fuel as well as the modern engines have less tolerance than the older engines so I have been told. After the warrantee period go for it. Or if you are prepared to pay for any engine repairs go for the B100 by all means.

Cheers,
    Gregory.

Comment

Thanks Gregory

I wasn't aware of the other two outlets. I think that's my conclusion, B20 until the warranty runs out

Stewart

Comment

Stewart,

I have just bought a 2nd hand 407 hdi but haven't had to fill up yet.
        I'm in Sydney and saw anther 407 with bio stickers (see my thread r.e. spotted 407).
        If I see that other 407 again, assuming they are a regular commuter to that car park, I'll make sure to leave a note so we can find out about their experience.
        Can't remember if the stickers said 100% bio or just runs on bio.

Tygar.

Comment

Guys, other than affecting non compatible rubber, good quality clean biodiesel is better for your engine than dinojuice.

Bear in mind that your warranty excludes any damage that can be related directly back to a bad fuel problem - any fuel - dino or bio.

Unfortunately, the way the law works, if the dealer says it was damaged by the fuel used, it is up to you to prove it was not.

It's your choice at the end of the day but if it were me I would use B100 from day one and if I had a problem work it out at the time. Just be sure, absolutely sure, of the quality.
          Slippery
          Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Hi Slippery,

Whilst I'm satisfied that I can get quality bio, my concern is not the pre combustion stages, but rather the interaction of bio and the peugeot particle filters (FAP).
            Although the Cerine additive that goes into each tank of fuel lowers the burn temperature of the accumulated soot in the filter during regeneration, there remains some question that the temperature of bio combustion is high enough to reach the desiried 450 degrees which is what I'd expect with a lower cetane fuel.
            My reading indicates that the cetane rating of bio satisfies the diesel standard so 'should' be ok, but I understand that the ULSD has a rating that exceeds this (at least what BP have said), so does Peugeot assume fuel being used has cetane of 55+? Still need to find out more on this.
            The problem remains that although bio works fine in a new 307 or whatever, how do they know of sure that the filter regeneration is completely effective and not slowly accumulating unburnt soot and cerine? Will their FAP clog up after 40, 50, 60,000 km?
            I also hear that Bio creates less soot in the first place so the ECU won't need to trigger regeneration so often so maybe it is an acceptable trade-off so the FAP will make it to the 80k service where they remove, flush it and top up your cerine tank.
            Perhaps bio soot burns off at a lower temp but will the ECU think it is hot enough as it monitors the regen temp or will the drop in backpressure convince it the process has worked?

Whilst some are happy to jump into bio, my 407 is my 1st diesel and a $60,000 one at that. So you can appreciate my caution.

To Suzy and other 307 / FAP equiped drivers, have you already done this research?
            Anyone seen the difference between FAPs after 80k on bio compared to dino examples?
            Do you know if the service computers can tell you how often (km) the regen process has run on your cars and thus if bio happens less often and at lower temps?
            Perhaps this is a question for aussie frogs?

Tygar

Comment

Originally posted by Tygar View Post
              Whilst some are happy to jump into bio, my 407 is my 1st diesel and a $60,000 one at that. So you can appreciate my caution.

To Suzy and other 307 / FAP equiped drivers, have you already done this research?
              Anyone seen the difference between FAPs after 80k on bio compared to dino examples?
              Do you know if the service computers can tell you how often (km) the regen process has run on your cars and thus if bio happens less often and at lower temps?
              Perhaps this is a question for aussie frogs?

Tygar
              My 307 is also my first diesel (indeed my first car since the early nineties). The research I've done indicated much the same points as what you've listed. Lower sulphur content, which is good for the FAP, combined with lower PM emissions, meaning that the FAP fills slower. I also read that the PM from biodiesel burns at a significantly lower temperature than that from petrodiesel, so although the exhaust temperatures are lower, the FAP regeneration still works.

I can't see any problems. I mean, lower exhaust temperature must mean the exhaust components aren't as highly stressed as with petrodiesel, and will thus last longer. Add in the increased lubricity of biodiesel, and the reduction in knocking, and I'm convinced that I'm significantly prolonging the life of my car by using it.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, and unless people try it, there will be no definitive answers. So far I've done about 4000km on B100, with no problems at all. It just works.

Cheers,

Suzy

Comment

Tygar,

Hear what you are saying. Elsewhere in this forum and in others I have read, there is a level of opinion that seems to think that if you run every other tank of bio to near empty, add 10 litres dino, and run that to very low, the various components that require burning/cleaning or whatever, will be sorted with the dino. You then refill with bio for next couple of tanks.

Discussion is around how many tanks you can go before you need to add the dino. Some say no more than 2, others say at least 4.

I think the TDI Club forum had a good thread.
                Slippery
                Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X