Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest noob question

Hey guys,

Here is the bare bones honest truth. I love the idea of making biodiesel. I have a source for meth and corstic soda, i have a source of used veg oil, im half way through building my processor and i have completed a test batch with 1 litre fresh oil that has made diesel.... woo hoo.

Now im at the stage of putting the stuff in my tank n im frankly worried.

I have a skoda fabia 1.9 TDI

Are there any tests you can do on the fuel prior to putting it in the tank. I mean after the washing / drying process. I would hate the idea of popping this stuff in and killin my engine.

Its prob all the rhetoric the oil companies are plying out to conserve their profits.

Any advice guys.

Cheers

Re: Honest noob question

1. cars run on straight vege oil, you have just refined it
    2. if you knew how horribly damaging diesel was you be scared about ever putting it in your car again
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

In this order:
      1. Do a clear water test for soap. - Water should be crystal clear and not cloudy.
      2. Dry the biodiesel
      3. Do a clarity test. - BD should be crystal clear and not cloudy.
      4. Do a 27/3 test for residual glycerine. - all BD should dissolve
      5. Filter to 5 microns - remove any fine particles
      6. Buy a (spare) replacement fuel filter and keep it in the vehicle.
      7. Start using with a 20% blend and monitor your fuel filter.
      George

Comment

A quick, easy, "down and dirty" test is hold the biodiesel up to sunlight and read a newspaper through the biodiesel, if you can, it is probably good to go. gwalker is right, it should be crystal clear. If you can get it to that stage of clarity, you can be 95% sure it's good fuel. (of course do the other steps listed above as well)

Also I agree with step # 6 above. Get an extra filter, if this is your first run through with BD you're gonna need it. You'll be amazed at what good biodiesel will clean out of your fuel system. Get ready for an "Oh wow!" kind of moment.

In the beginning, go the extra mile until you're comfortable with what you are producing. It'll pay off down the road.

BTW, the fact that you took the time to do the upfront work (sourced the WVO, meth. Lye and did a test batch first) also puts you ahead of the pack.

Good job. Kinda neat seeing it all come together, isn't it?

All the best
        David Sieg

Comment

Working...
        X