Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seals and hoses

Hi all ,
    I am just about to start running my vehicle on biodeisel from w.v.o.
    I have a "94" Toyota Hiace 2.8. litre van does anyone recommend to change any of the seals and hoses for long term biodeisel use?

Cheers!

Re: Seals and hoses

Hi agian.
    I just read RossH's thread on hoses I spose that kinda answers my question.
    but Will my "94" Hiace van have the synthetic seals and hoses?
    intuo
    Last edited by intuo; 19 May 2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I ran an '84' Hiace for years on biodiesel without problems. The hose/seal thing is overrated. Just use the biodiesel and then if a problem occurs, worry about it then.

Comment

My neighbour is looking to buy a 91 Toyota Hiace diesel and asked me if it could run on bio (like I do my 95 Hilux). I told her that some of the hoses and seals might need to be changed. I want to give her some harder facts so here are the questions -

Roughly how much would it cost to have a mechanic replace the IP seals up front? (Sydney inner west)

If she just waits for the seals to degrade and then replaces them, do they fail slowly or suddenly and are there damaging side effects of failure?

Assuming it has original seals, roughly how long would they be expected to last before needing replacement?

Comment

Seals will fail gradually ending in a drip leak then it will start to go worse. Fuel lines need nitrile rubber at least, synthetic is a must.

Injector pump seals MUST be viton so it should cost around $500 to have it resealed but be warned older pumps need overhailing and this may cost upwards of $1K

So BOSCH VITON seals, some nylon, viton fuel lines and away you go.

Oh fit a CAV adapter or replace with a cav fuel filter, then plenty of cheaper CAV filters too as the OEM is far to expensive and the gunk in the tank will be plenty too! CV filter can be bought for as low as $5 each oin box of 20, or a bit more for low counts. OEM fuel filter is likely to be $30 or more. Be aware you loose the water sensor with a cav conversion.

Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

i was thinking of using fuel injection hose like below it uses the same Fluoroelastomer as Viton hose any suggestions
            from http://beltpower.com/pdfs/WH411k_Low_Pressure_Hose.pdf

H077 Fuel Injection Hose
            SAE 30R9
            Typical Application: Designed specifically for electronic
            fuel injection systems
            Inner Tube: Fluoroelastomer Veneer
            Reinforcement: Multi-Fiber Braids
            Cover: ECO (Epichlorohydrin Copolymer)
            Temp. Range: -30°F to +275°F (-34°C to +135°C)
            Catalog Hose Hose Working Min. Burst Min. Bend Inch. Merc. Wt. Per Avail. Hose
            Number I.D. O.D. Press. (PSI) Press. (PSI) Radius Vac. ("Hg) 100 Ft. Lengths End
            H07704-10 1/4 1/2 125 900 3 24 11 10' E.F.I.
            Clamps
            Page 83
            H07705-10 5/16 9/16 125 900 3-3/4 24 13 10'
            H07706-10 3/8 5/8 125 900 4-1/2 24 16 10'
            peugot 307 HDI 2005 b30
            Ford courier 1989 b100

Comment

Should be good if its a fluoroelastomer, pity they don't sell a 1/2 inch variant. That would save me having to buy full viton.

Matt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

This page says *all* low sulphur diesels and not just biodiesel can cause seal problems - under subheading "Impact on Seals in Fuel Pumps":

AUSTRALIAN REFINERIES

Comment

Father in law had his surf fail last week. The report from the mechanic was do not use bio. The injector pump failed and the cost will be $4200. The surf is a 1994 model import from Japan. Suspect seals ? Mechanic does not want to give to much away.

Comment

Mech may be trusted but , as long as the bio is well made there are no issues apart from material compatibility. Pumps wear and seals degrade, time can do much of this, $4200 is extortion, a pump rebuild should cost around $1000 including some parts (they like to replace worn parts so they can charge heavily) and new seals. Insist on BOSCH viton seals not Toyota.

This is entirely dependant on the IP on a 94 surf being a Bosch VE variant, if its not then this may explain costs.

Call Rocklea Diesel or Brisbane Diesel at Springwood. The latter is good for this sort of work by my experience. Note that they will bag bio but are reliable and know the issues.

Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Trusted? Not likely. I have a 1993, 3 litre Surf, and it has no problems with bio - it loves it! As said before, if the bio is quality, then DO NOT blame the fuel. I would think that the problem is probably something a way lot less than the mechanic has diagnosed. But then again, problems do arise - get another opinion and take note of the post before mine regarding costs.

Comment

Your father-in-law's mechanic is a thief. I have a '93, 3 litre Surf, and it loves bio. I have had to change one hose - the last one before the filter - but all else is well. I think the previous posters are right - if your bio is of good quality, then you are pretty safe from catastrophic failure. Get another opinion!
                        yorta2
                        Last edited by yorta2; 17 October 2008, 08:22 PM. Reason: ****-up

Comment

Bugger - I thought the first post didn't work. Anyway, the idea got through.

Comment

Thanks Yorta,

I am in Bayside Brissy, could you please private message me as I would like to ask some questions.

Chook

Comment

Originally posted by chook View Post
                              Father in law had his surf fail last week. The report from the mechanic was do not use bio. The injector pump failed and the cost will be $4200. The surf is a 1994 model import from Japan. Suspect seals ? Mechanic does not want to give to much away.
                              Check out these Chook

I had a surf and it loved bio The injector pump was a little troublesome my top seal on the injector pump started to leak easy to fix and not as expensive if you check the part number on the injector pump for the 2.4 turbo

top seal for the injector pump and it cost $12.05. The Actual part number is 2277454270

brand new in box injector pump for about $350 from your local Toyota dealer. Part number is 22100-5B300 this is the fully electronic version (no throttle cable going to it)

These are part numbers for the 2.4 turbo diesel

For the $4000 you could buy a complete second-hand motor and still have some change
                              Link 2.4 turbo engine

Try this site they are quite helpful but as always do your own searching first

Toyota 4WD Surf Owners

Cheers Wayne
                              Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

ppythonsss@yahoo.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X