Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ringer washing machine

Hi all,
    I am making my biodiesel processor out of a ringer washing machine and are wondering if the cast iron washing machine agitator (it looks like the plastic ones in modern washing machines with the blades at the base) would work fine for the mixer or should I just take it off and attach some other stirrer to the shaft more central to the container (the container is approx 100 litres)
    Thanks to all readers and repliers

Re: ringer washing machine

should work, but i would still attach something perpendicular to the agitator such as plastic blades etc.
    are you going to suck the biodiesel out or are you going to drain the tank at the bottom?
    gaan oat da windyman

Comment

I am going to do both,
      Use the existing drainhole at the base for the glycerine and then suck the biodiesel from the top.

Comment

I've seen Darren Leonadas post up some pics of his washing machine before. I did a search for "washing machine" and found this post.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

intuo just a few questions and facts
          1 how are you going to keep ya feedstock hot in ya ringer washer?
          2 the cast you mention is aluminium and may react with Naoh and produce hydrogon gas.
          methanol is toxic and when mixing methoxide with ya oil will release a very toxic and explosive gas. i think you should be very careful in your form of reactor. I have made many batches of bd and would be glad to advise of save ways to make a reactor.
          take care my friend. the fantom

Comment

Hey Fantom,
            thanks for that info,
            The ringer I am planning to use has an element and drainhole allready under the the cast agitator (which does seem like aluminium) and it has has a baked enamel bowl. I will probably make a more suitable agitator for the shaft.
            I happy to hear any other suggestions.
            cheers
            Luke

Comment

Keep an eye on the seals and rubber hoses.

Tilly

Comment

Hi agian,
                This ringer washing machine of mine, it has has a motor underneath the bowl (like any other washing machine) enclosed by the outer shell of the washing machine BUT! when the motor turns on you can see a bit of a flash down the bottom (which is common for motors). could this be dangerous even though the methonol fumes will
                coming out of the top of the washing machine and that the washing machine is near the window?

P.S. I am planning to have the motor allready running when I pour the mythoxide in but I may have to stop and start the motor while mixing from time to time,
                So that means there will be a little flash from the motor down the bottom when it starts up agian while theres methoxide in the bowl at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by intuo View Post
                  Hi agian,
                  This ringer washing machine of mine, it has has a motor underneath the bowl (like any other washing machine) enclosed by the outer shell of the washing machine BUT! when the motor turns on you can see a bit of a flash down the bottom (which is common for motors). could this be dangerous even though the methonol fumes will
                  coming out of the top of the washing machine and that the washing machine is near the window?

P.S. I am planning to have the motor allready running when I pour the mythoxide in but I may have to stop and start the motor while mixing from time to time,
                  So that means there will be a little flash from the motor down the bottom when it starts up agian while theres methoxide in the bowl at the top.
                  I used to work in oil refineriesand one of the largest Methanol plants in the world. When I read some of the posts of washing machines, dishwashers and electric drills being used for making Biodiesel I get the shivers.

Have any of you ever seen a big Methanol fire? You can't see the flame.
                  Fortunately, when you are making Biodiesel, it is mixed with oil and that will make the flame visible.

All the same, it is very dangerous.
                  Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
                  2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
                  http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
                  http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
                  http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

Working...