Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel from Jatropha

Hi Friends,

I have put up two web sites giving brief information on all aspects of Jatropha diesel. Special stress for conditions in India where this is being promoted in a big way. I welcome suggestions / discussions / inputs from members of this esteemed forum. The sites are;
    Home
    Home Page

With best regards
    Amar P. Saxena
    apsaxena
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by apsaxena; 12 June 2007, 05:01 AM. Reason: Website name modified

Re: Biodiesel from Jatropha

Originally posted by apsaxena
    Hi Friends,

I have put up two web sites giving brief information on all aspects of Jatropha diesel. Special stress for conditions in India where this is being promoted in a big way. I welcome suggestions / discussions / inputs from members of this esteemed forum. The sites are;
    www.jatrophabiofuel.com
    www.krypton-biofels.com

With best regards
    Amar P. Saxena
    Amar,

Thanks for this info. Very relative to my own project and a pleasure to see the info get out there.

Comment

Hi Dave. Thanks. Pl. could you share your brief project info with the members.
      Regards.
      Amar

Comment

Hi Amar,

Sure thing.

Im building a biodiesel plant in rural Cambodia, partially funded by an NGO (looking for extra funding to buy some bits and pieces if anyone has a few hundred $$ spare...).

The site is located at the country's largest rural university, which offers free education to students who normally wouldn't have the chance. The uni has limited power, with electricity being supplied at short intervals throughout the day (no power at night) by diesel generators.

As the school has limited funding, it relies on donations of diesel and money to supply the fuel for the generators.

My project aims to supply all of the uni's diesel needs, and produce some left overs to sell to put money back into the school, so we can offer more scholarships to rural Cambodians.

The project is also the first of its type in Cambodia and is attracting a lot of interest. Apart from the local interest that is being developed, the uni will also be teaching the technique to its agriculture students.

We are starting with converting used cooking oil (tough to find here, because everyone resells it), and are planting a Jatropha field that once at maturity will supply all the oil we need to operate the campus generators, and also add hours that we can supply electricity to the school.

The projects' aim is to provide the school with free diesel fuel (previous money used for diesel purchases can go back into the school, where it is badly needed, as the school is underfunded and under resourced) and eventually to create an excess for commerical sale.

I owe a great deal to Paul Martin from Melbourne, who kindly donated his time in training me on biodiesel production and continues to help me from abroad, and also to Sauman who has been very kind with sharing his experience and knowledge from abroad.

At the moment, I am just short of finishing the plant construction. My living costs here are being funded by AusAid, but I do not have any external funding. I've found that Ive used most of my savings in buying the necessary parts for the plant.

I still need to purchase some things to allow the plant to be fully self sustaining, and if anyone is in a position to donate to this cause, it would be greatly appreciated and I'll let you know exactly where the money is going and the benefit it will give. Once complete, the project will be self sustaining, meaning that it will support itself without any external funding needed.
        Also, if anyone can offer some time for a webpage design, that would be greatly appeciated too!

Cheers,

Dave
        Last edited by Dave; 3 June 2006, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Dave - wonderful work you are doing, the world needs more people like you!
          As for donations - I'll put my hand up, both for some money and also for a webpage. Just PM me and we'll sort it out.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Aussie Aussie Aussie...Oi,Oi,Oi
            It such a great feeling to see

It's amazing stuff what Dave and Mr.Saxena (I spoke to him last week.What a man.His unending struggle to empower women and provide income source using jatropha and developing a sustainable rural economy independent in the state of Assam in India) are doing.
            I am involved in a similar mission "SAHAJ SAPNA" meaning a simple dream.That no kid in India(for that matter the world) goes without the very basics of food,shelter and education by the year 2012.This means that the rural population which constitute 80% of the Indian population needs to be empowered with self sustainable income generation and infrastructure development to provide a safety net which then translates into poverty eradication and general upliftment of society.
            SAHAJ SAPNA hence is designed to be primarily a Enterprise generation platform for the economically underpriviliged.
            A NOT FOR PROFIT SET UP THAT NETWORKS AND MOBILISES RESOURCES FOR POVERTY ERADICATION.
            When I landed in India in the 2004 after about 12 years of living mostly in Gods Own Country.The Great Southern Land.I could not run away from the fact that something needs to be done .Not a good sight to see a 11 year old pulling a cart load of rubbish ,with just a pair of shorts which probably is the only piece of clothing the poor child pocesses,eyes blood shot due to sniffing glue and he gets Rs50(A$1.20) per day for his work.Then he goes and sniff some more glue and zonks out on the pavement.The stories of child abuse and child labour is unending.Wander where is Human Rights and all those do gooders.Anyways.
            I decided that its action time babe.
            For about a year I spent in doing extensive research and trying to develop modules that can be implemented through SHG(self help groups).In this arena I am more then priviliged to have been supported by think tanks,NGO's,Govt Bodies and Academic fraternity worldwide.A conclusion that we all unanimously reached was development of a network is a prerequiste to be able to build a chain.As finding of the research were that a lot of NGO's,self help ,voluntary and charitable organisations are working on the same theme.But absence of a network which is able to mobilise resources(money is a part,but just a part).
            I decided to call this network development platform SAHAJ SAPNA (Simple dream).A platform where all resources are pulled in by a group of virtual and real time ground zero team.I call it the Dream Team.So on 26 Jan 2005 Australia Day and is also the Republic Day for India we launched the platform.I was scared shitless.This was the first social project in India for me.I did not know which pillar to run or post. Confusion ruled for a while.
            Centre Link decided not to give me dole as I was working outside Oz.I could not pick up a full time job and carry on my work with SAHAJ SAPNA....the little money I had went away fast.

Hell time and again I qusetioned myself last year why am I not throwing in the towel.But the old Saying "When there is a will,there is a way".

I found a way to self fund myself (I give Techo commercial Consultancy to a group which is involved in Bio Diesel concept to completion work)Phew...the Government Of India even has extended my Visa till Nov this year.People started taking the whole effort seriously not a wacko who has spent a lot of time in the bush.
            Yes things are shaping up..... after all it is a simple dream indeed.
            The reason that I sahring this in,is I realised this platform can be a vechile of changes that we could channelise our resources and skills towards any noble cause.
            Like Dave putting up story and sharing with us his project and areas where we can chip in.Be it money ,knowledge or networks.

Or Mr.Saxena unending perseverance to see that Jatropha plantation in his area finally goes to benifit the farming community or the economically underpriviliged.As I dont know wether people in this forum are aware that a lot of MNC's are in the scrupolous process of extracting and maximising their returns by way of exploiting the most economically under priviliged.No wander the Politicians are responsible along with non ethical practices.I wont go into critical analysis.

Another objective that I missed out about Sahaj Sapna is that it becomes a platform for connecting artist,musicians,indegenious art and culture between Australia and rural India.
            I am working on this one.My friend and currator of Some children of the Dream (www.somechildren.org) is here in India helping to establish the Academy of Root Development (www.ard-guraru.org) .
            We want the exhibition to travel through every state in India and get translated in all the regional langauges.We need resources to make this happen.Will give a shout when we need help.I also want every year a group of GEN Y to perform and share Australian culture and learn about the cross cultural values .Working on this one to.will need help.

I know it's a Bio Diesel forum.But I felt I need to share .....

Have a good weekend folks...we can only do it together.....a green cool world one day...Sahaj Sapna....just a simple dream

Cheers

Sauman

Comment

Hi Dave,
              Thanks for sharing your project info. A very noble task you have undertaken that deserves all the praises and support. I wish you all the very best in your efforts and have no doubt that you would succeed in achieving the goals. If you wish to place any information about your works on my websites then please mail the material to me.

A new updated website has been put up by me at
              www.kryptonbiodiesel.org

Please continue to share the progress with us.
              Regards

Amar Saxena

Comment

Dear Sauman,
                Thanks for sharing your dream which I am confident will become reality with the perseverence that you have shown. It was very nice of you to have called. Our telephonic discussions certainly enriched me and served to boost my motivation towards rural empowerment.

Please do make a trip to Assam whenever convenient. I will certainly look you up on my next trip to Kolkata. I was on a long tour for identification of suitable land for jatropha plantations for various self help groups in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh in north east India and hence this delay in responding to your post.

Please do keep us informed about the progress of your work. If there is anything you want posted on my websites about your project then please feel free to email the material. If you have a website then I can provide a link from my sites.

I have put up an updated new website with latest pictures from our tea garden jatropha plantations. Do visit;

www.kryptonbiodiesel.org

with best wishes

Amar Saxena

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                  Dave - wonderful work you are doing, the world needs more people like you!
                  As for donations - I'll put my hand up, both for some money and also for a webpage. Just PM me and we'll sort it out.
                  Hi Robert,

I have sent you a skype invite.
                  cheers
                  Amar Saxena

Comment

Thanks all.

The website is finally up, so you can check it out.

Theres a few weird things going on with links and stuff, and some things Iwant to add, but the most of it is there... so check it out...

www.biodieselcambodia.com

Thanks for the kind offer of assistance and donations by those on thread. After seeing the website, you'll see it is for a good cause.

Not only are we creating a system of centralised energy production (important in Cambodia, with its corruption, to ensure that the poor people who need the money, and not multinational company set up by govt cronies),
                    but we are also including the community in participation and education, so that they can get real rewards, increased incomes for families and great participation from all memebers of the local communities. It really is a model than can be followed province by province...

Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Hi There Dave
                      My Bio Legend

Got your mail last week.Sorry could not reply.Have relocated to Delhi.
                      Checked out the site the first day you gave me the link.Cool stuff man.

You take care.Keep smiling and shining.

Yes ,we can do it together.!!!

Need to have a yarn with you regarding module.You could use some of the inputs on the ones we created here for Bangladesh,Nepal,India.

Talk soon.
                      Cheers
                      Sauman

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                        Hi Amar,

Sure thing.

Im building a biodiesel plant in rural Cambodia, partially funded by an NGO (looking for extra funding to buy some bits and pieces if anyone has a few hundred $$ spare...).

The site is located at the country's largest rural university, which offers free education to students who normally wouldn't have the chance. The uni has limited power, with electricity being supplied at short intervals throughout the day (no power at night) by diesel generators.

As the school has limited funding, it relies on donations of diesel and money to supply the fuel for the generators.

My project aims to supply all of the uni's diesel needs, and produce some left overs to sell to put money back into the school, so we can offer more scholarships to rural Cambodians.

The project is also the first of its type in Cambodia and is attracting a lot of interest. Apart from the local interest that is being developed, the uni will also be teaching the technique to its agriculture students.

We are starting with converting used cooking oil (tough to find here, because everyone resells it), and are planting a Jatropha field that once at maturity will supply all the oil we need to operate the campus generators, and also add hours that we can supply electricity to the school.

The projects' aim is to provide the school with free diesel fuel (previous money used for diesel purchases can go back into the school, where it is badly needed, as the school is underfunded and under resourced) and eventually to create an excess for commerical sale.

I owe a great deal to Paul Martin from Melbourne, who kindly donated his time in training me on biodiesel production and continues to help me from abroad, and also to Sauman who has been very kind with sharing his experience and knowledge from abroad.

At the moment, I am just short of finishing the plant construction. My living costs here are being funded by AusAid, but I do not have any external funding. I've found that Ive used most of my savings in buying the necessary parts for the plant.

I still need to purchase some things to allow the plant to be fully self sustaining, and if anyone is in a position to donate to this cause, it would be greatly appreciated and I'll let you know exactly where the money is going and the benefit it will give. Once complete, the project will be self sustaining, meaning that it will support itself without any external funding needed.
                        Also, if anyone can offer some time for a webpage design, that would be greatly appeciated too!

Cheers,

Dave
                        Hi Dave
                        Can you find out what is the attitude of the powers to be in so far as the importation of second hand equipment is in that country It is not allowed in Viet Nam They now want only new gear unless you are very well connected
                        If it is allowed or you can get permission I will be more than happy donate as well as wear the cost of sending you a small screw press as well as a 2.5 L Toyota diesel motor to run it with Total weight will be about 500 KG The press is a Japanese made machine by Hander If you wish I can include an electric motor with it You can start of with that and then may be run it on biodiesel produced there later that will add another 80 KG's of weight so see how you go and let me know you can PM details as well as addresses etc
                        Keep it up Good work
                        Cheers
                        Chris
                        Keep it up
                        Cheers
                        Chris
                        Never give up :)

Comment

I understand that Jatropha is considered a weed in Australia and a noxious one in NT and WA. However, is it possible to purchase seeds or seedlings of this species in NSW. We have a 100 acres which we are setting up to be as self sufficient as possible and have chosen biodiesel as the means to power our generator (linked to an array of batteries so that the generator only has to work a couple of hours a day). I was considering allocating approximately 5 acres to this crop so that we would a) have an ongoing supply and b) have something to trade with when the world goes pear shaped in the coming years! Where would one purchase such a plant?

The soils in our area are poor so we need a hardy plant, if not Jatropha.

Many thanks,

Paul

Comment

Yes it is a weed in australia, and the recommended herbicide to deal with it will leave the ground unusable for food crops or grazing for several years in rich organic soils and longer in poor soils, and i expect wildlife will spread the seeds.

It would be good if somehow the plants had sterile seeds.

Below is an example
                            of the many plants allowed to come into this country and damage the enviroment, the public servants that allow this should loose there jobs.

http://www.weeds.crc.org.au/projects...t_3_2_1_2.html

Comment

So if Jatropha is dead, what's the next best crop to grow thats legal? Surely we can't expect to rely on fish and chip oil?

Comment

Working...
                              X