Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price comparison

Hi All

I was wondering where those who run SVO get there oil from? I go through the BD process with WVO and it costs around 22 cents per litre to produce (essentially the cost of the methanol). Do you use WVO that is filtered then heated? Do you buy it new? The cheapest I've seen SVO sold bulk over the web for is over $1 a litre. Throw in the cost of conversion and it seems a costly exercise.

I suspect I'm missing the point here.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Price comparison

Go to you local shop and ask, most are happy to get rid of it, but if not bulk oil distributors can usally do a ton for about $800-900 delivered, and a ton has 1150 litres around ( $0.75 ). You should check a seed distributor in QLD. The one here in Victoria is Cargils. Good luck
    Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Hy friends,
      Since 2003 I convert daily some motors to run with vegoil in Germany (this is my job). The Biodiesel is prodused from Vegoil +Methanol, this need heat, that means that vegoil MUST be cheaper as the biodiesel. In Germany 1 Liter Diesel kosts 1,15 Euro, 1 Liter Biodiesel ca. 1 Euro and 1 Liter Rapeoil (the best vegoil for motors) 0,75-0,80 Euro. Soja oil is in Europe only in Summer to use (until +5 Grad Celsius the soya oil will be solid) and is more cheaper (0,4 Euro/Liter).

Comment

Re the above - for those that aren't aware Rapeoil=Rapeseed Oil=Canola.

I am also interested in anyone buying new oil, where they are buying it from and at what price. I am worried that the sources of used oil might be quickly sewn up in the near future, so it will only be worthwhile doing an SVO conversion if new oil - e.g. canola, can be bought at reasonable prices.
        Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

My thoughts on this.
          Do check your oil supply before you begin, I started about 4 years ago and did not have any trouble gettig oil, had a break for a while (shifted towns 100ks away, but interstate so couldn't bring car over, had kids etc) and now still dont have problems getting oil. I find the "all the oil could be used up" reasoning more applicable to using fossil fuel, not veg oil, (they are still making more veg oil) but it could be just they way my brain is wired. Here in Mount Gambier I have not had any problems getting any, I have a two fish and chip shop supplies and a motel with resturant give me it also. There is a truck that collects from the main users, but cafes etc dump it the bin. check before you begin, but if you are reading this and dont do it already give it a go!
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna
            My thoughts on this.
            Do check your oil supply before you begin, I started about 4 years ago and did not have any trouble gettig oil, had a break for a while (shifted towns 100ks away, but interstate so couldn't bring car over, had kids etc) and now still dont have problems getting oil. I find the "all the oil could be used up" reasoning more applicable to using fossil fuel, not veg oil, (they are still making more veg oil) but it could be just they way my brain is wired. Here in Mount Gambier I have not had any problems getting any, I have a two fish and chip shop supplies and a motel with resturant give me it also. There is a truck that collects from the main users, but cafes etc dump it the bin. check before you begin, but if you are reading this and dont do it already give it a go!
            Thanks for the info Chris. What I should have said was "no free waste cooking oil available". I have seen figures that the quantity of waste cooking fat/oil available Australia wide would be enough to run the entire diesel fleet in OZ for a month. As dino-oil prices keep going up, there must come a time when demand exceeds supply - hopefully not though.
            Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

Working...
            X