Frytol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frytol

Any one else using Frytol or similar as there main feed stock?

Interested to hear of your experiences and any issues you had to over come.
    maverick_sr71
    Last edited by maverick_sr71; 5 January 2008, 05:47 PM. Reason: Edit
    Maverick
    Canberra

Re: Frytol

Gday, Half of my oil supply is frytol. My frytol comes in 22 litre open buckets and when i make a batch i sit the bucket on a lpg gas ring that are available from camping stores. I also use a 2400 watt immersion heater.When frytol is liquid pour or pump into reactor.Check your temperature as it can be 60 plus if you try and melt the whole bucket of frytol.I also course filter before it goes into reactor using a stainless screen out of a clothes dryer.regards Westwinds

Comment

Thanks Westwind. What I'd like to know is what % of Meth are you using and are you using 7 or 9 as your base.

My issue at present is it's taking up to 7 days to wash (dry wash) and even then I'm not completely happy with the result.

I also seem to be getting some unreacted Frytol. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
      Maverick
      Canberra

Comment

maverick_sr71,
        What you may have, is high melting point biodiesel.
        Frytol has a high proportion of saturated fats which are mainly comprised of stearates and palmates. These oils melt at 20 - 40°C and while processing into biodiesel does reduce the melting point of the oil by up to 20°C, on a cool day you could have solid biodiesel.
        I have a sample of biodiesel made from Tallow which melts at around 20°C

In this case, you need to blend the high melting point biodiesel with a lower melting point biodiesel to avoid the solidification issues. A fuel heater, before the fuel filter, may also be a wise investment.

To test for unreacted triglycerides, do the 3/27 test (at a temperature where the biodiesel is liquid - you may need a sealed vessel to reduce methanol evaporation)
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Gday Pete,I have found through experience that i now use 10 grams as a base plus titration which is 3 or 4. I use 90% strength KOH that i store in a sealable plastic barrel to keep it free of moisture.You will have lots of fun with frytol in the next canberra winter:

Comment

Gday Pete,I have found through experience that i now use 10 grams as a base plus titration which is 3 or 4. I use 90% strength KOH that i store in a sealable plastic barrel to keep it free of moisture.You will have lots of fun with frytol in the next canberra winter:regards westwinds

Comment

Thanks Tony and Westwind. I have a small supply (stop laughing HDJ80) of cotton seed oil coming in that I intend to use in winter.

I was looking at upping my base to 9 Westwind and keeping the 20% meth, are using 20% or more?

Thanks guys.
              Maverick
              Canberra

Comment

Gday Pete,I only use 20% methanol.When i make a batch of bio a step in the process that i consider very important is that i fill my reactor (200 litre cone bottom drum,make 200 litres per batch) 10 to 15 litres more than i need, over the next 3 or 4 days i drain that 10 to 15 litres off and discard it. It has a lot of black bits that got through my coarse filtering and the oil has a high percent of water by the look of it.Hope this is some help to you. regards Westwinds.

Comment

Thanks Westwind, that's good advice. I do use 100% Frytol so letting it sit in the processor will see it go solid, no chance of draining.

You say you use a 50/50 mix, do you find the frytol still solidifies in the processor if left for a few days?
                  Maverick
                  Canberra

Comment

Gday Pete,I have my frytol mixed with wvo depending on what i have available.Yes it does solidifying in my reactor which is a problem when you live 40ks from reactor.I now have another reactor that has a variable thermostat that is set at 40 degrees C and that is stopping the frytol solidifying.Regards Westwinds

Comment

Thanks Westwind.
                      Maverick
                      Canberra

Comment

I got given a couple of hundred kilos of frytol a month or so back, which i have been adding around 10k's or so to each batch. These batches (75L) have been producing alot of glyc and taking a long time to wash/dry; is this normal.
                        Also, how do guys who are doing 100% frytol batches titrate their oil? I tried it the other day with some heated oil (liquid) but as soon as i added it to the titrating fluid, it solidified again, and was a pain to mix. so i gave up.

Any tips? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Ryno, I heat the oil and the titration fluids to keep it all liquid.

Yes, it does take a lot longer to wash and if you don't get a 100% reaction you'll see some thin white soup at the bottom of your wash tank.
                          Maverick
                          Canberra

Comment

THanks Maverick, will try that!

Comment

Gday,When i titrate frytol and WVO mixture in the cooler months i use a 250 ml glass orange juice bottle that is sitting in a container that has hot water to keep the mixture hot.Regards Westwinds

Comment

Working...
                              X