Reactor pump capacity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reactor pump capacity.

I have been thinking about the type of pump for a reactor, and think at the moment a high volume pump 300litres per minute would acheive the same result as a very good mechanical stirrer for 150litre batches.

And what type of pump internals, cast, plastic, etc.

And does any one know if a 3 phase pump can be converted to a single phase, i can get a 3 phase from work for $50 that has been reconditioned.

Re: Reactor pump capacity.

You are better off getting a single phase motor, as the 3 phase are very efficient for 3 phase operation but getting one to deliver rated power in a jury rigged setup will not be possible.

If you have a single phase motor of around tice the rating and a 3 phase motor to act as a generator, close couple them and deliver 3 phase to your 3 phase pump. All of the inefficiencies are multiplied and you will be lucky to get 50% efficiency from such a setup.

Using a capacitopr setup will not provide the power you need and will seriously mess with the power factor of your mains supply.

Any electrical work should be done by a licensed electrician.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Struth.
      Will have a talk to a pump retailer electric motor reconditioner bloke i deal with for work, the 3 phase pump i can get for $50 may be worth something towards a new pump for me.
      Was reading before the specs for a reactor and the pump was only a 35 litre per minute job, i thought or still do think that would hardly be enough for mixing.
      The more litres per minute the better the mixing and a better reaction i assume.
      I suppose my question is what is to much capacity and what is not enough.

Comment

hello dears
        I need a pump that has the following capacity: 0.5-1 ml/min. How can i get it?

Comment

try a syringe and a stopwatch.
          those figues sound too low for any pump i know of that would be easily obtainable.
          What are your plans for this pump????????
          cheers nick..
          Cheers
          Nick.
          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
          sigpic

Comment

Hello Dodge,
            When using a pump to mix the brew the point to note is that the mioxing actually happens within the pump and not so much within the vessel.
            Almost any size pump (within reason) will do the job. If the pump has a low flow rate you just let it fun longer, say 2 hours, and all is well.
            The pump I use has a flow rate of about 20 litres per minute and I make batches around 120 litres. I mix for 2 hours, even though I am fairly sure 1 hour is prenty.

A few people on here use the QB80 pumps. They can be found on ebay for around $100.

Comment

Hey Qwala
              Dodge's post was nearly 2 years ago, I don't think he's been here for a while. Oh well he's gettin an answer 2 years later.
              cheers nick
              Cheers
              Nick.
              Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
              sigpic

Comment

Hi, thanks for the answer.
                Gee my Arse is sore from sitting here waiting.
                I stopped making Bio about 12 months ago, work commitments mean i simply don't have the time at this stage, but hopefully in a couple of more years that will change again.
                To anyone new making Biodiesel or using straight Veggie oil, Stick with this site, plenty of info and help from serious passionate members.
                Dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                  Dodge's post was nearly 2 years ago, I don't think he's been here for a while.
                  cheers nick
                  BUGGER I never noticed that.

I just saw a new post and read the complete thread but never noticed the dates. Oh well good to see Dodge is still around.

Comment

Working...
                  X