X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appleseed processor

Hi Folks,
    I am Maybe considering making an appleseed style processor
    but I am wondering what if the hotwater tank gets glop like stuff in it from a failed reaction, How do You clean it?
    Can you you do the 5% pre wash method in the appleseed?
    Can you use electric and gas hotwater systems?
    I see alot of hot water systems at the tip how do you know which ones are going to be suitable?
    Cheers
    Luke

Re: appleseed processor

Hi Luke,

I'm considering my options with a processor at the moment. SO I've asked these questions of my self as well. I think you pump the mix out before it settles and allow it to settle into another tank so the glop would form in the settling tank. Also if you follow the steps properly Glop wont form.

I dont think gas or liquid makes to much difference as long as the thermostat work properly. It would be very easy to over heat the mix with gas, so thats an important consideration. Also I think from a safety point of view a naked flame wouldn't be considered safe.

I wouldn't do a prewash in a processor. How would you ensure its dry before the next batch? Maybe some others might enlighten you.

I think as long as the heater and thermostat works it would be OK to use.

Hope that helps
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

I would imagine that any bottom draining water heater will be fine, mine is a 200litre water heater.
      Electric not gas, fire ...... Gas maybe fine, but .... flame and methanol ???
      I don't think it matters to much about what is in the bottom of the tank as if anything is in there when you drain it into your washtank it will get washed out then... or mixed in at the next processing time.
      Glop in the processor??? I have made 1300litres in mine with NaOH and the processing part works well and if you follow the rules there will be no problems. I'd imagine that the only time you'd get a problem in the processor is if there is too much water in your wvo.
      I have done a 5% prewash and there was never a issue with water at the next processing.
      My Water Heater Thermostat is never used as I heat the tank to 130degF and turn off the power to the heater. Thermostat is there because...it is there.
      You drain the glycerol before it solidifies (If you use NaOH) about 3 or 4 hours after the processor mixing has completed, otherwise it does not matter as KOH does not solidify (So they say). If it does go hard turn the heat back on.

BTW: I have my processor tilted approx 5degrees towards the drain.
      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
      Canberra

Comment

Hello intuo

I have never been able to figure out a sensible answer to your first, second or third question.
        (I am wondering
        what if the hotwater tank gets glop like stuff in it from a failed reaction,
        How do You clean it?
        Can you you do the 5% pre wash method in the appleseed?)

Tilly
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 1 June 2006, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Luke,

Titrate every batch of oil and test for water. This should minimise the risk of making glop in the processor. If you have any doubts about the oil, do a 1L test batch first.

I regulary do a 5% pre wash in the processor. There seems to be no apparent effect on subsequent batches, from having a small percentage of water in the dregs remaining at the bottom of the tank. The bottom of the water heater is domed inwards, so the quantity of dregs is tiny compared to the size of the next batch. Tilting the tank toward the exit hole, as HDJ80 suggests, will reduce this even further.

Comment

Hi intuo, there are two types of electric water heater, one is the storage type with a coil of pipe through the hot water and the cold water flowing through the pipe gets hot from the heat transfered from the surrounding hot water. These are usually small capacity.
            The second type is the mains pressure one that is a steel tank that can contain the mains pressure and has the heating element directly heating the water. This is the type that everyone seems to use. If you find one at the dump, check it for rust stains from a leaking tank then if you know how to use a multimeter, check the element for continuity. The element can be replaced though if it has gone but the tank looks good.
            I got a rheem 125 ltr tank from a building demolishing yard for $65 and they guaranteed it would work!! I had to clean out the inside of the tank of accumulated lime and scale deposits and also removed the sacrificial anode and internal plastic stand pipe. Standard pipe fittings screw into the openings of the tank. I did not use the standard thermostat and have made an electronic digital display temperature controller to regulate the heater.
            I got a water pump from ebay for about $90.
            Hope this helps.
            Peter

Comment

Working...
            X