sceptical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sceptical

Dont wish to appear negative with my first post in this forum but I am soo glad I found you guys reading about your BD experiences both + and - have inspired Me, unfortunately the good lady wife despite all the info available remains a NON BELIEVER . Shock/Horror you say, but fear not all is not lost I shall do what comes naturally (after consultation with my ego) ignore her and press on regardless and at all costs.So after extensive research/net surfing I intend to build myself a bd plant and commence production just so it can be said that it is possible to 1)save our atmosfear.2)kiss the oil conglomerates goodbye as we drive past saluting them as we go.3)save $ thats sure to impress GLW {which should convert her to the righteuos path}. what else was there ? ah yes 4)pay my taxes and die happy knowing I made a difference nomatter how small or big.Have I run out of icons yet?. So my next step is to fill up my Nissan Terrano II with b100, which involves a long drive possibly interestate hmmm, unless you have a better idea, cheers Kev awaiting your feedback.

Re: sceptical

Sounds very familiar:
    My wife was also very skeptical and continues to be..... Anyway she still believes that the fuel I produce costs about $5.00 per litre and that it is not a money saving exercise but a Hobby.. Which actually makes me feel pretty good because I can't remember ever having a hobby before.
    But bottom line is that I have spent more money on this than most. My processor and all the bits including new garden shed to house it all has cost me approx $1500, but it is a hobby so the cost does not come into it.
    If I took away the cost of Garden shed and Concrete Slab, the Processor tanks pumps etc would have cost me around the $600 mark. So based on that the 1300litres that I have made to date puts me in front... But who cares it is a hobby.. Diesel at the pump is around the $1.46 and I am producing Bio at $.45 so that is a $1.00 saving. I am going to be recovering methanol soon so that will drop the price again.
    Anyway try the Hobby excuse.

BTW: I just asked her what she thinks of the Bio making and she said that "It is supposedly saving money and is a Hobby as well."
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

Hi guys, this is actually Mrs Bashplate here..
      I had to laugh when I read this post and needed to add a reply as this is very familiar to us!!
      I remember when Bashplate started his new 'hobby' a couple years back now. I too was very sceptical. He had been messing about with it out in the shed for a couple of weeks when one day out driving he says to me, 'By the way were running on Bio.' I thought to myself, 'Great I'm gunna end up walking home cause we'll break down!' Hahaha..
      In the last three years I reckon we have saved many thousands of $$. We don't need to restrict ourselves from driving due to the cost anymore and I'd much rather him being out in the shed coming in smelling like old chip oil, than down the pub and coming in smelling like a brewery!!
      Best of luck with your Missus, she will come around eventually.

Comment

Thank the lord that these guys are just on Bio Diesel.
        Better watch out when they start getting confident and going to Bio Ethanol.Which when consumed without flavour can not be detected smell wise.It takes on the body odour I am told.And true he still does not have to go to the pub but the garage for a fill up.Hic!!!.
        That will be the day.
        Every gagrage has a BD+Bio Etha+beer combo working quietly in the shed.
        Throw in the additional cooking vat for the wine lover.
        Dream on they say.

cheers
        sauman
        p.s.:Hobbies is real work...rest of the work we do just pays bills....strange world.

Comment

Surprisingly, My Mrs. has been quite supportive of my so far limited Bio experimentation. She has said little about the accumulated tins of oil that have started to clutter up the back yard and was remarkably low key about an oil spill that occurred especially when she saw that in a few days there was little evidence of left with nothing more than a good hosing of the concrete. She even made note of how shiny the dogs coats seemed to get after they licked an amount of it up. She now insists they get a cupful in their food at least once a week.

She has taken an unusually genuine interest in all the info I have related to her from the net and my recent visit to an experienced BD’er here also elicited a lot of positive questions and comments like “ Are you ready to start making your own now?” and “ what do you need to make your own setup?” I was even told that I better get up the shed and clear out some of the crap so I could make a space to set everything up properly so I could work on making my diesel stuff without tripping over things an getting frustrated.

My kids have also taken an interest in it and are very excited about the fact we can get a diesel car and drive round without having to pay so much for petrol and that we can be helping the environment as well. Every time we are on the road now they are on the lookout for diesel powered vehicles especially those for sale.

As finding a Diesel vehicle has proved to be the hard part of the equation, her indoors even suggested that if I can find something small to start with, we could sell the cars we have and then look at getting a loan to buy something decent. She could drive the older diesel to work and I could have the better one!!!! For the last 15 years I always got the old car and she got the new one so that is quite a compromise!

I too am looking forward to the now forgotten weekend drives and not having to worry about the cost of fuel every time we go out and I think the rest of the family is much the same.

Comment

Well thats a touch of the twilight zone for you! Just as I was discussing with GLW (good lady wife)the logistics of picking up the homebrew kit I had purchased on Ebay, up popped an update of these threads on email, gee she had a good laugh thank you for your contributions. First batch due in a couple of weeks.Cheers Kev.

Comment

Homebrew Kit on e-bay?

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
                Every gagrage has a BD+Bio Etha+beer combo working quietly in the shed.
                Throw in the additional cooking vat for the wine lover.
                Dream on they say.

cheers
                sauman
                p.s.:Hobbies is real work...rest of the work we do just pays bills....strange world.
                This is so true.... I am currently making 100litres Bio, and I have 20litres Draught and 20litres of Lager brewing in the shed. and 36litres in kegs ready for an up coming shed day.

So depending on what is happening(what i am doing) up at the shed I may come down smelling of WVO or just beer.

NB: Never smelling of both!!
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

My Darling partner , when i first got into this , put her foot down and said/shouted "Not in our backyard"., Now she takes the minutes at club meetings, and at party's can explain the whole reaction process. Her boss told all the staff at her work that our car runs on B100, and she proudly confirms, "its better for your engine, you can hear the car idle more smoothly. And we are doing something proactive about climate change"
                  Oh Yeah, the difference between a hobby and a small business according to the ATO, is the threashhold of $50,000:00 per anum income/turnover. Ther are loads od "businessman" out there who are really just running a hobby.
                  darren leonadas
                  Last edited by darren leonadas; 3 July 2006, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X