New User Potatoes, Sugar Beet, Jerusalem artichoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User Potatoes, Sugar Beet, Jerusalem artichoke

I am currently growing Jerusalem artichoke to hopefully next year turn into ethanol. But currently have a large Potatoes surplus. Is it hard to make ethanol out of Potatoes.

My experience to date has been only to make ethanol from sugar and turbo yeast. Then distilled to about 85 % proof, running in my Honda Genset, and Water pump with good results. Lots of reading on the web, but doing is not the same as reading.

Currently using about 20 Litres per week, as we run on Solar power and only have 1KWh of panels and use about 7KWh day. So have to make up 50% of our power with petrol.

Have lots of wood to use as a fuel source, cant use electricity. Just got five 200 litre drums to make into a large still and fermentor.

Regards,

Chris Scanlan

Re: New User Potatoes, Sugar Beet, Jerusalem artichoke

i'm not sure that many on this forum are too up to speed on ethanol production. You could get a diesel genny they are more effient and you could run it on bio diesel or WVO.could save you some biccys
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
    sigpic

Comment

Chris,
      Vodka is made from potato. There are plenty of ethanol and brewing sites on the internet, just google "potato" and "alcohol" and I am sure you will find suitable recipes.

You may also consider anerobic compositing of the plant matter to produce methane, which can be used to power spark ignition engines..

Keep up the fgood work and don't forget, demand side management has potential to reduce your power shortfall.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Not sure if this will help you...

How To Make Potato Vodka on Squidoo

I would assume you could modify the recipe to achieve a higher alcohol content.

Please let us know if you are successful.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you for your responses, have kept away from diesel as it takes a lot more land to grow an oil crop compared to a sugar / starch. The methane idea is worth a try as I would not have to distill anything and no legal problem. Do you know what sort of yields for methane? I thought you had to use manure.

Comment

You can use any biological product to produce methane in an anerobic digester.
            Divert the toilet effluent, all food wastes (after passing thru pets, chooks, etc) and all garden prunings and weeds (chopped into suitably small pieces to assist decomposition) into the digester.
            Most likely you will need to use a batch operation and store feedstock until the current batch output drops below your needs (or operate 2 batches with staggered clean-outs), before re-charging and continuing the process (it could be that a new batch takes some time to become productive - no experience here, just read some)

Cold climates may require that you insulate the digester to enable year-round operation.

Google is your friend, there is a lot of info out there on methane.

Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X