Quality Economical Valve Adjustment Wrenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Economical Valve Adjustment Wrenches

I was looking at the most economical valve adjustment wrenches for the 65-85 year non hydraulic lifter model mercedes diesel (I own a 84 300d) and couldn't believe how much they cost. Plus they don't even nest together and the head of the wrenches are too thick for their own good. I've put together a really nice tig welded 14mm wrench set (2) with good handles and end stops for $45 shipped,$53 to Australia. (thanks Tony) Can't beat that. Email me if you are interested.
    -jon
    jonthecarguy
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by jonthecarguy; 12 May 2008, 12:15 PM. Reason: new img src

Re: Quality Economical Valve Adjustment Wrenches

I have moved this post into the Classifieds section as it sits better here.

regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I think i prefer these ones of Pangits cost him $2 from memory to make. Do the same job and with more charactor. Just my opinion as $53 for 2 spanners ain't what i'ld call cheap. Anyway glad to see this in the right place now thanks tony.

Cheers
      Nick.
      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
      sigpic

Comment

Not sure why such wrenches have to be that expensive?

$53

Well here are my wrenches - They cost me $1 "One Dollar each" from the local hardware store and I bent them on the vice and did not even needed to heat them up.

I have done valves adjustment on 7 vehicles so far and I find them absolutely perfect to do the job.

Mine don't look as fancy as these ones though.
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

The reason that these "professional" wrenches are so cheap is because the next ones up that are made by another company are $92.00 usd and the Hazet wrenches are like 135.00. You do the math.
          -jon
          Some people just like to have good quality tools.
          peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jonthecarguy View Post
            Some people just like to have good quality tools.
            peace.
            Agreed, I one of those people but shorely no one would pay $135 for some tool that is rarely used. I have all snap-on for work and sidcrome for home plus a cheapo set that i butcher to make special tools from.
            Take it easy jon.
            Cheers Nick
            Cheers
            Nick.
            Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
            sigpic

Comment

While it may be possible to make tools at home if you have the facilities, for someone to make a living, or even supplement one, by making these tools, it does not hapen for free. You and I don't charge for our labour when we make our own tools. If you are making tools for a living then you should be charging for your time and materials, advertising, marketing and overhead costs.

Just compare what you would pay a plumber, electrician, carpenter or refrigeration mechanic for their time - Usually a $100 call out fee plus $150 per hour after the first 15 minutes on site (if you can get one to come out, that is)

Then compare the markups on most items sold in shops these days. 300% is not an abnormal markup in speciality stores and 100% is not unusual in food stores, frequently more in the small delicatessen stores, if they can get away with it.

Just because you can make a tool for under $20 does not mean that that is all the tool is worth to anyone else, just to you.

I hope this puts a different perspective on the issues of people selling things for profit.

Regards,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Jon, those wrenches look nice. I'm temped to order a set from you.

I notice the HAZET 2769 3 piece tool set ($120) has another wrench... is that the one you need to turn the engine over? Does that require a special tool also, or can I use a big socket wrench? (and if so does anyone know what size I need) picture is here

Brian

Comment

Working...
                X