drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying

can you put the washed biodiesiel back into the reactor and heat it up to dry it

Re: drying

Hi Sean - yep you can do that. It is however a lot cheaper just to move it into a nice sunny spot and ignore it for a couple of days.....

The above is predicated upon being in a nice warm spot!

My brother in alpine victoria has a batch sitting like margarine in his reactor waiting for a wash!!

Have fun.
    Paul - Brisbane
    80 series truck & Audi TDi pocket rocket!
    Paul
    Brisbane
    80 series TDi with 100K on B100
    2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
    1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

I have been drying some waste veg oil by heating it and bubbling compressed air through it. It seems a lot faster than just heat alone. (and just compressed air does'nt work) Would this also work for biodiesel?
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I wonder is someone putting the water into the oil after it has cooled down?

Have you tried draining off the water from the bottom of your container before heating?

All of my sources fry food from frozen.
        I have not had any water in oil issues from any oil source unless:
        • the cook cleaned out the fryer and left the oil bucet underneath when he washed out the fryer, ot
        • the oil was left in an open drum in the weather.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Has anyone has any problems with driving on biodiesel that is not completely dry, or are there problems associated with driving on biodiesel that is not completely dry? My wash water is coming out crystal clear, but when I don't have time to let the diesel dry, are there any problems with just putting it in and going?

Thoughts?

Cheers, Steve.

Comment

The 'wet' biodiesel will run just fine, however it can also precipitate the water out into your fuel tank. If you want to keep it in solution, add some alcohol to the biodiesel. Isoprophol alcohol works best (1-2% of volume), but I have used some methylated spirits (5%) to clear up the biodiesel prior to dumping it into the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanner
              Hi Chris,

For what it is worth, I heat WVO to about 110 - 120 celsius on a gas ring and hold it at that temperature until all strong bubbling stops and there is no longer steam coming from the oil. This may take up to an hour or more, depending on the amount of water in the oil. One of my best sources of WVO obviously does a lot of cooking of frozen food and their oil, which I pick up from a completely sheltered area which is definitely not affected by rain, is loaded with water.
              This might seem like a stupid question by why will the water boil off a 110 and not at 180 when the frozen ice laiden fish/chips are put into the oil?

I heat to 70 and allow the water to seperate and drain after 24 hours. The water tastes salty BTW.
              Joe Morgan
              Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
              http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
              SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

The 'wet' biodiesel will run just fine, however it can also precipitate the water out into your fuel tank. If you want to keep it in solution, add some alcohol to the biodiesel. Isoprophol alcohol works best (1-2% of volume), but I have used some methylated spirits (5%) to clear up the biodiesel prior to dumping it into the vehicle.
                That is nice method.
                why alcohol make easier separation between biodiesel and water ?
                http://brteam.ir
                Biofuel Research Team (BRT)

Comment

Originally posted by khatamifar View Post
                  That is nice method.
                  why alcohol make easier separation between biodiesel and water ?
                  khatamifar,
                  The alcohol is miscible in both the biodiesel and the water, so what happens, is that the water is dissolved in the alcohol and the (wet) alcohol is dissolved in the biodiesel. The biodiesel becomes clear. Remember though, that the alcohol can evaporate allowing the water to come out of solution recreating the problem.

It is better to work at ensuring the biodiesel is dry, or to avoid adding water to the biodiesel. See the topics on "waterless washing".

Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

The alcohol is miscible in both the biodiesel and the water, so what happens, is that the water is dissolved in the alcohol and the (wet) alcohol is dissolved in the biodiesel. The biodiesel becomes clear.
                    So alcohol cause dissolved water in the biodiesel !!!
                    prefer to separate biodiesel and water or clearify biodiesel ??
                    http://brteam.ir
                    Biofuel Research Team (BRT)

Comment

Captain Echidna,

After I have washed my BD, I pump it (through filters) into 44gallon drums.

I then heat it with an immersion heater to about 60-70degC. After that, I bubble it heavily using a stainless tube I made with heaps of little holes in it, hooked up to the air compressor.

My test for dryness is simple. When I can look into the drums 2" socket with the compressor running, and the air coming out stops fogging my sunnies, I turn it all off and screw in the plugs.

Next day, the top of the drum is pulled down, almost like a wok.

This method has always produced very clear bio, which doesn't cloud or drop anything out.

I might add that a mate and I have been getting promising results from a product called "fuel set" for using tallow based bio in winter. It is a winterising additive used in petrodiesel, available at spare parts places.

I might try this method to dry the oil pre-reaction, especially if I ever get around to trying to make bio with ethanol.

Comment

Originally posted by vegehilux View Post
                        Captain Echidna,

After I have washed my BD, I pump it (through filters) into 44gallon drums.

I then heat it with an immersion heater to about 60-70degC. After that, I bubble it heavily using a stainless tube I made with heaps of little holes in it, hooked up to the air compressor.

My test for dryness is simple. When I can look into the drums 2" socket with the compressor running, and the air coming out stops fogging my sunnies, I turn it all off and screw in the plugs.

Next day, the top of the drum is pulled down, almost like a wok.

This method has always produced very clear bio, which doesn't cloud or drop anything out.

I might add that a mate and I have been getting promising results from a product called "fuel set" for using tallow based bio in winter. It is a winterising additive used in petrodiesel, available at spare parts places.

I might try this method to dry the oil pre-reaction, especially if I ever get around to trying to make bio with ethanol.
                        Hi,

I use tallow to make my Biodiesel and have a problem with the Biodiesel Cloudpoint. At below 15 C it starts to set up. I am interested in your experience with "Fuel Set" and where you obtain it.

Regards,

Arie
                        Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
                        2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
                        http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
                        http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
                        http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment