Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pumps are people using?

Hi all,

Couple of us are in the process of starting the Biodiesel thing, having made a coupld of little test batches.

We are having trouble finding somewhere to buy a pump suitable. I see alot of people in USA use the 1" clearwater pump for about $30, but where can you buy similar here?

Thanks

Re: What pumps are people using?

Look on ebay, and also you could try hydroponic shops or aquarium shops.
    Irrigation shops or reece hardwares.
    I got my davey pump second hand of ebay for $125.
    Will be used on a 200 lt reactor that i will be building.

Comment

Hi Howeller73,

I bought a 1" water pump - 40 lts /min off ebay.au I use a 120 ltr hot water service, have reduced the tubing to 3/4". Processed about 1,000 ltrs up to now (100 ltr batches). The pump runs cool, circulates for the processing very well, loads the processor, although it does not have a good lift from a 200lts drum, I hand pump the wvo into a 60 lt drum at the side of the processor, then through a ball valve and tube into bottom of processor, works good. I also transfer from processor to the wash tanks. After wash/drying it pumps well through 3/4" hose, also through a 10" - 60 micron re-cleanable water particle filter into 200 lt drums. It has never missed a beat. Cost about $50 .

Good luck

Dillyman
      dillyman
      Last edited by dillyman; 3 July 2006, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your input so far guys. Now, it's a case of where do you start on ebay? I type in pump and a thousand things come up. What size, hp etc .

Also, I see on the american type of processor that they use the 1" clear water pump, but which is the outlet and inlet on those? I am trying to put together a schematic for our processor and setup, but finding it a bit confusing.

Thanks

Comment

I would start at my local lawn mower MSAA shop.

Tilly

Comment

So, after talking to pump sales people, I'm a little confused to come back and see this posting....... what about the fact that you are circulating an oil, heat of the WVO, acidity, etc? The pump industry seems adamant that because it is under heat, its an oil etc that you need special seals blah, blah, blah!

My 100L plan included using the pump to circulate the fluid undergoing its reaction to assist the reaction process. Is this a valid procedure or tooooo over the top?

Thanks for your patience here....

Comment

Not many of those salesman have used a domestic water pump in a commercial situation.
              The pump i got is a davey with plastic housing and impeller, and i expect it will be ok. And yes it will be used to circulate the oil at 50 to 60 celsius, for the reaction.

At work we use about 10 onga domestic water pumps with plastic housing and impeller for hydroponic's. 4 of them are more than ten years old.
              They run for about 6 weeks constantly, circulating water and fertilizer, then they circulate acid for 24 hours and finally water at about 70 celsius for 24 hours.
              They cost around $300 new, The pumps that are recommended by pump shops cost around $800.
              Maybe the $800 pump will last 25 to 30 years.

Most people appear to be using those new cheap pumps from ebay without any problems.

Comment

Thank you for the clarity! Cheaper is usualy better.

Steamer
                steamer
                Biofuels Forum Newbie
                Last edited by steamer; 4 July 2006, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Hi All, I have been getting some great success from "hard rubbish" washing machines and dishwashers. Usually left out on the side of the road.
                  Recently while on holiday up North i posted three large boxes of pumps home, i had raided from a whitegoods graveyard out the back of a country electrical goods store.
                  Some of these pumps are great as they are dedicated to particular functions within the washing machine or dishwasher, that can be found as a need in a BD reactor.
                  I have about 5 for sale at the next MBDC meet.
                  Once you've seen the design technology in some whitegoods these days you'll never walk past an old hoover, or modern LG, ever again.

Comment

Working...
                  X