BioD in 4JXI 3.0 TDi Jackaroo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioD in 4JXI 3.0 TDi Jackaroo

I have run 4 tank loads of B80 in my '98 Jackaroo TDi. What I have observed is
    1. Reduced Power, but not too drastic
    2. Improved Economy
    3. Longer Cranking Times...(this may atcually be the glow plugs. I am trying a tank of PetroD to see if this makes a difference)
    4. 4cpl cheaper than PetroD

Over all can't complain, too much
    Save a Whale..... Collect the whole set!!!!:D

Re: BioD in 4JXI 3.0 TDi Jackaroo

Glad to hear you're successfully running bio on a Jackaroo, as I am thinking of getting the same as you. Apart from bio performance, how is it generally (around town, off road etc)? And have you had the injector pump problem?

Also, is there anything I should look out for when buying one?

Cheers,

pangit
    Sean

Comment

The Injection Pump Problem?

Tilly

Comment

Tilly, I've read in other forums that this particular diesel engine has a problem with the injector pump whereby it leaks diesel into the oil sump, contaminating the engine oil. I think it has been subject to a recall by Holden.

I don't know much more than that, but check with your Holden dealer if you are concerned.
        Sean

Comment

Hello pangit,

Is it a rotary or an inline ip?

Comment

No idea. I don't even own one! Maybe Jack can help.
            Sean

Comment

It's got nothing to do with the injector pump.

The problems are:
              1. the o-ring that seals the injector to the head leaks allowing fuel into the sump
              2. the o-ring inside the injector deteriates and lets fule and oil mix.

both cases can lead to the engine running on the diltued sump oil to catastrophic failure.

Jack hasn't had any problems and neither have I. there are recalls for both of these problems, the first one is from 3 years ago and the second is from last week, my Jack goes in next week for the injector recall.

for a wealth of information about these vehicles come on over to jackaroo.australia4wd.com
              glenos
              Last edited by glenos; 6 July 2006, 08:16 PM.
              glenos

Comment

Hi all,
                Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been busy with work....

Glenos pretty much summed it up re the injectors, seals failing and allowing either diesel to dilute the oil, or in the latest case oil into the combustion chamber. In both cases the engine can run away on you. Another prob as a result of this was oil getting into the Rail Pressure Sensor plug and shorting it out stopping the car dead in its tracks. Holden not only then charged you for replacement of the sensor, but also the wiring loom (even though the loom was usually cleanable....)
                My Jack had the seals between the injector sleeves and the cylinder head happen at 90,000ks (preivious owner) and the engine self destructed. New engine under warranty.
                No probs since...
                Will be getting the recall done though, a few guys have had to pay for this work to be done after the internal seals failed prior to the recall and repair bills in excess of $1000.

Other than this they are a great vehicle, plenty of pep around town and on the hwy for a 2 tonne 4WD. (she blows 3.0 Patrols off at the lights....)
                I cannot complain about its off road performance, even with an IFS set-up she goes where the big boys play with minimum fuss. Fuel economy is pretty good too, I avg 10.5 - 12 lt/100k's.
                I love the Jacks, as does many others. If you get one that has had the injector work done, and has been treated right, you will be happy as we are.

As glenos mentioned jackaroo.australia4wd.com is a great source of Jack info. Both for V6 and 4JX1 diesels.
                jack
                Biofuels Forum Newbie
                Last edited by jack; 6 July 2006, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It's a toss up between a Jackaroo and a Pajero at the moment (around 97-98 model), but I'm leaning slightly towards the Jack. My Dad has one in the UK (it's called an Isuzu Trooper there of course) and he loves it.

One thing I've heard is that servicing/spare parts are expensive. Is that the case? But I believe you can source much cheaper parts through third parties?
                  Sean

Comment

Hi All

Thought I would drop a note on the Hi Lux as well

When I bought it at 132000 K it ran fine for about 3000k then the Timing belt went, stripped the lugs of the belt, they were rotten, the book says replace at 150000K, so I complained to Toyota and lo and behold they fixed the lot for free including a brand new head, valves etc, they kept the original cam shaft, wasn't damaged at all, all up about $4000 worth of work !!, so I'll be sticking to Toyota, you couldn't ask for better service than that I think.

Since then I have done about 53000k and haven't had to put a spanner on it except for regular services etc..

So as a result I will replace the belt on any and all of my vehicles at 100000K no mater what the book says

Fat Man

Comment

Fat Man, you also need to replace the timing belt idler pulleys when you do the belt. I tried to stretch their usage on my old Hiace and one of the pulleys seized. Ugly! Did the rocker shaft and left me walking home way out in the bush.

They aren't that expensive.

Comment

Jeez, I hope they replaced them as well, pretty stupid if they didn't considering the work they did

Thanks

Comment

Parts are probably only available form Holden, but filters, belts and hoses are available elsewhere for significant savings, at the same quality. There are also lower quality filters available at the same price as the good ones
                          glenos

Comment

G'day all,
                            My 1st post. Talking of Hilux's, when you change the timing belt, change the idler bearing on the belt drive as well, mine let go at 230K, a really close call, a friend lost his at 150K with a new belt put in at 100K, and killed it.

Comment

Ebay is a good point to look for jackaroo parts. Jackaroo world I believe is pretty good too. But as Glenos said filters are pretty easy to come by.

Comment

Working...
                              X