X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycerol use as stockfeed

Hi all
    Glycerol may be put into good use
    Your attention is drawn to a presentation at the 10th rapeseed conference in Canberra a little while back where those scientist's presented they work
    I am not aware of any one using the glycerol by product resulting from biodiesel production as cow chowder in this country
    This is an extract presented at the conference by;
    Angela Schröder and Karl-Heinz Südekum
    Abstract
    Glycerol can be derived from the production of biodiesel. It is a glucogenic substance similar to propylene glycol, which has been used effectively to prevent ketosis in high yielding dairy cows. This study was conducted to evaluate the potential of glycerol of three different purities in diets for ruminant's . Energy concentrations of glycerols and of glycerol containing diets were determined in vitro and in vivo as related to different types of concentrates, i. e., high in starch versus low in starch. Glycerols at concentrations of up to 10% of total diet dry matter were compared with starch as rapidly fermentable carbohydrate source as related to estimates of ruminal fermentation, microbial biomass production, and nutrient digestibilities in steers at 85% of ad libitum intake. Additionally, we evaluated the physical, chemical and hygienic qualities of concentrate pellets containing glycerol of different purities at different concentrations and stored under different environmental conditions.
    Pellet quality, in particular hygienic quality, was positively influenced by glycerol. Estimated energy concentrations from digestibility trials in vivo were 8.3 and 9.5 MJ net energy for lactation/kg of glycerol when glycerol was fed in combination with a high and a low starch concentrate, respectively. From the in vivo data it can be concluded that glycerol of different purities can replace rapidly fermentable starches in diets for ruminants up to concentrations of 10% of diet dry matter without negatively affecting feed and water intake, ruminal nutrient degradation and whole-tract nutrient digestibilities. Rumen microbial biomass production was not different among the diets containing starch or glycerol. The glucose precursor glycerol may improve energy supply to high yielding dairy cows, both before and after calving and thereby have an impact on health and performance during the entire lactation.
    the full article can be found at this link which should be read in full
    http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/241.htm#P0_0
    It includes all of the test carried out as well as the results of these feeding trials
    May be some of you with animals can get some milage out of it,
    It seems that it is good tucker for lactating cows as well as steers (ruminants)
    You dairy farmer mate may be greatfull for a low cost feed and you can get a few dollars for it
    I would have thought that at about $50.00-80.00 per 200 L drum both would be winners
    The biodiesel guy gets a few dollars without having to worry about geting rid of the stuff and the farmer gets a bargain in ME value for his money
    I am drawing a parallel with the cost of mollasses here a common suplement for cows
    It would be good to get some feedback here in the forum if any one is going to have a go
    I suggest that the local animal nutrition guy from the Department should be consulted as well
    It may turn out that he/she may not be aware of this work therefore they should be made aware of it
    Finally if this is a good as it reads at face value we than have an outlet for the stuff
    Cheers
    Chris
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris; 5 July 2006, 06:28 PM.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Re: Glycerol use as stockfeed

There was some discussion about 'glycerin' being used as a stock feed over on the infopop forum some time ago. One fellow said his cows came running for it.

It was suggested that the residual methanol would poison the cows, but apparently cattle process methanol differently than humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
      There was some discussion about 'glycerin' being used as a stock feed over on the infopop forum some time ago. One fellow said his cows came running for it.

It was suggested that the residual methanol would poison the cows, but apparently cattle process methanol differently than humans.
      Hi Syd
      You are quite right However this is the first scientifically based research that I have come accros which is I suppose is some "proof" that it really works for the cow as well
      I have no doubt that they will come running the stuff is sweet it seems that they also do that when you give them molasses
      The report indicates that it was fed Ad Libitum I think that means they were free to eat as much as they wanted
      I hope that people can put the stuff to good use
      Cheers
      Chris
      Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Farming fuel, was Re: Glycerol use as stockfeed

This is a great forum. I was chasing around after glycerol by-product utilisation and here we are, back here again . . . . This thread is a tad dated, so please excuse me if I go off on a tangent.

I think what Chris has written is very much on the right track, except that being a lot closer to farming than more conventional motor industry people, and so many years in dryland Permaculture, I see less of a win-win on glycerol as stock feed additive on pressed seed cake, or other options, than greater integration of whole systems as such.

Our calculations here locally have it that a 12,000 litre/day biodiesel plant fed with canola requires some 2,400 hectares per annum to keep it going. Just one of our very small clients would need to control a whole square mile farm entirely to be viable, and then some. Quite a lot more, in fact, depending on the season, and El Ninio, and all the rest of it, and all of it in very dry country.

In that respect biofuels are a by-product of good farming practice, not the other way around. I mean, no offence intended, we have to go talk to serious farmers about this, not motor industry or fuel supply people.

Out Bourke way the town is dying because there is no cotton crop any more, with no water coming down, but they could as easily be growing Jatropha if not canola, or any of a number of source crops, while at once feeding back into the landscape and only trucking out the by-product to fuel the cities, where once they clothed the cities.

Here in Western Australia things haven't changed that much, nor in Khazakstan or such places that have yet a great deal to teach us.

Am I making sense? That is the scale I am thinking on, at any rate.

Gil

Comment

Hi Gil
          Yes you are making sense Now as you said you have to talk to farmers so as to get the message across which is no easy task
          Bill Mollison started the permaculture movement as well as giving it a name he is an Aussie
          Peter Andrews with his Natural sequence farming is also an Australian
          They have devoted they lives to the cause
          Both where looked upon like loonies by the other farmers in the districts where they practiced
          The aussie farmer is a very tough individual who does quite well considering the conditions of this dry country
          Your notion is in my view correct It is never to late to start so as to stop the export of soil and it's nutrients from the farm to the city where it is flashed away into the sea or landfill
          A closed farming system as practiced in those far away "backward" countries you mentioned have been doing it for centuries the land still yields them a living
          For your information I did post something on the canola biodiesel for farm use a few weeks ago do a search for it it may be of some help to you
          The thread went a bit quite may be we live it up again as I think it is important
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Glycerol is one of the ingedients that we will be trialling in a sheep pellet that we hope to make from canola meal.
            Supply will be the hardest problem as there are more valuable ways of using it.
            Cheers
            Maxwell

Comment

Maxwell
              Glycerin from biodiesel production sells anywhere from $50-300 per tonne it is all a case of who has an order to fulfill for overseas soap makers as well as who needs to clear his stockpile
              In other words there is no such thing as an established or a mature market for the product in this country
              I am not so sure that the stuff will replace molasses in pellet production as there is not enough of it around yet so as to be taken up by major manufacturers of stock feeds
              All the same it performs quite well as a supplement for dairy cows as well as any other ruminant
              Will be keen to see your results once you get into it
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Hello Chris,
                Is the glycerine from biodiesel making you refer to that can be sold for between $50- $300 a tonne after the glycerine has been cleaned up?
                As I recall, there is something like 74ml glycerol produced per litre of oil reacted and is typically less than 50% of the byproduct, the rest of the byproduct is mostly methanol, soap and biodiesel.
                What purity of glycerine is required if you wish to sell it?
                Who does one contact to sell glycerine to?
                What quantities would one need for anyone to be interested in buying it?
                In the USA several people who have looked into selling their glycerine have reported that Possible purchasers of this glycerine were only interested in Train tanker car loads which would likely take some people several years to accumulate from their backyard production.

Tilly

Comment

Hi All
                  A good friend as well as a buis associate buys and exports glycerine as it comes out from biodiesel production
                  The only criteria he looks for is "flash point" it can not be to high I am not sure what it is but I can find out, it is rare that he rejects a load due to that any way
                  This is the only thing that he checks for, he takes it in bulk or in 1000 L pails he then put it into 205 L drums into 20 Foot containers and sends it off
                  It is quite funny, the Nepalese demand that it is in green painted reconditioned drums and no other colour or plastic drums
                  When I queried as to why he told me that his buyer there is a soap manufacturer who then sells the empty drums to roofing contractors who flatten out the drums and use them for that purpose
                  They then sell the bottoms and tops to other metal bashers who make wok's out of them
                  So here we are clean Nepalese as well as nothing wasted there
                  Cheers
                  Chris

Comment

Hi Tilly
                    He will buy any qty in 205 L drums They do not have to be green either
                    If you where to tell me what qty you have and where you are I can make some inquiries for you
                    That goes for any one else here as well who has glycerine to dispose off
                    Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Hello Chris
                      That is remarkable information!
                      So all one needs to do is remove the methanol which is about 30% of the byproduct and reusable and the rest is saleable.
                      That is certainly very handy information for people in Melbourne.
                      If the SG of Glycerine is around 1.25, a 200 litre drum would would hold about 250kg glycerine

Tilly

Comment

Hi All - my brother is a dairy farmer in Victoria and his cows love the solid glycerine as a lick.

He has been feeding it to them for a couple of years with no evident problems.

Cheers,
                        Paul
                        Brisbane
                        80 series TDi with 100K on B100
                        2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
                        1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

Hi Chris - will you buy glycerine which is liquid from the KOH, or just the solid glycerine from NaOH?

Do you have a depot in Brisbane?

Thanks,
                          Paul
                          Brisbane
                          80 series TDi with 100K on B100
                          2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
                          1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

Heck, can I join in as well, one or perhaps two 205 drums per month in Brisbane, perhaps the boys up here can band together and send down a truck load each month?

After I recover the methanol from mine, which has to be a good thing.

Matt
                            Coming to you via Asiasat3!
                            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Hi Guys
                              Liquid glycerine only fellows Some methanol in it is ok I will find out from my man the exact flash point and post it up
                              No need to truck it down to Melbourne If you guys band together and get enough 205 L drums to fill a container he will organise to fill it up there
                              He will pay one nominated person who can then divi it up, you all get paid cash for your bit
                              I think that there are 64 drums in a 20 footer about 16-18 odd tonne
                              I believe I can get you an address in Brisbane where you can drop off until you get enough to fill a container
                              I have to make some calls to see what gives but I don't think it will be a problem
                              Cheers
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X