Testing biodiesel for unconverted oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing biodiesel for unconverted oil

I have just read of a test for the conversion of biodiesel, which quickly identifies biodiesel which has poor quality conversion of oil to biodiesel.

The discussion is located at: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...351#6791034351

The procedure basically requires that a 3 mL sample of the biodiesel is dissolved in 27 mL of methanol. If the methanol goes cloudy and eventually some oil drops out of the methanol, it is not a high conversion biodiesel and the amount of oil dropped out is proportional to the amount of oil in the biodiesel. If the methanol clears rapidly, with no oil dropping out of solution, the biodiesel has a very high % conversion.

This probably works because biodiesel is more soluble in methanol than triglycerides, diglycerides or monoglycerides. The amount of oil and the amount of methanol allow the biodiesel to dissolve but not the oil components.

This is good news, a simple test for oil - biodiesel conversion. Repeatable and reliable.

This test was first proposed by Jan Warnqvist.
    Thanks to Tilly, and alter ego Mickey Mouse, for verifying this test works, and works well.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Testing biodiesel for unconverted oil

Thanks, Tony from West Oz.

The biggest issue I have puzzled about is the conversion rate which I admit was beyond me. I am delighted about this simple test and the results that ensue. Good thread to follow up, boy! what a great find. Gives some sort of standard where none seemed to exist. My compliments for your post and the thread, terrific news for us all. Great job done by Tilly and Co. in testing.
    I wonder if there is any chance for the return of Royalties already paid?????

One delighted forum member!!!!

Dillyman

Comment

yes, THANK YOU!

Comment

Sorry dillyman

Royalties are definatly not refundable.

Tilly

Comment

Hi Folks,

Following up the thread from Tony from West Oz on this topic. Comments from Tilly (forget the royalties - you deserve them) and MM. I had to try this procedure. Quick, easy and simple! I am delighted with the results. I hope more people will give it a go, as a yardstick like this if terrific. If and when others have tried it, I hope we will see some debate about fine tuning our system approach to our craft. The indicators I found variable, improvement of samples as technique has been modified was certainly the case. This goes to prove the level of support on this forum has a great intrinsic value. Discussion I feel sure will ensue when more members twig to how useful this test is. There is still a lot for most of us to learn, especially when we have some clearer indicators to production quality. "I am excited"
          Anyone that has not tried it yet, will be missing out.
          Thanks Guys.

Dillyman

Comment

Dillyman,
            While you are experimenting, can you try adding some indicator solution to the methanol in the test, prior to adding the biodiesel. I would suggest that phenol red (swimming pool indicator) would be a starting indicator, until you see the values achieved by the biodiesel, both washed (should be neutral or close ot it) and unwashed (which could have a lot of suspended soaps and have a high pH in the alcohol).

A post of the results with photos would be nice.

Thanks,
            I do not make biodiesel myself, but I have plenty of ideas.

Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X