Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would biodiesel replace dino diesel? What qty are we using in Australia

Hi All
    Interesting data from a reasearcher in the USA This few pages are from a presentation he gave The numbers are interesting The Us government provides 10 cents per Gallon incentive to a small time producer (like us) Provides $1 per gallon credit to the blender and then $.455 Tax PER GALLON about 4 litres Litle John wants $1.50 per Gallon excise $.3812 odd cents per litre from everyone even though the manufacturer or blender gets the same amount back If you make it and use it you have to pay the excise I wonder why? May be we are not signatories to the Kyoto protocol Hey there is variety of pigs that fly, so I am told

Petroleum displacement

Current usage of on­highway diesel fuel in the
    U.S. is 33 billion gallons/year.

If all of the vegetable oil (23.6 billion lbs) and animal fat (11.6 billion lbs) were used to produce biodiesel, we could only replace about 14% of the current demand for on­highway diesel fuel.
    Conclusion: Biodiesel is not going to eliminate the
    need for petroleum­based diesel fuel.
    (3.5 million gallon plant)
    Unit Cost Biodiesel Retail cost
    Producer Production cost $2.50/gallon
    Producer profit $0.30
    Small producer tax credit $0.10
    Transportation
    $0.08
    Distributor purchase price $2.78
    Distributor/blender Purchase price $2.78/gallon
    Excise tax credit
    ­$1.00
    Freight
    $0.08
    Blender profit
    $0.05
    Retailer purchase price $1.91
    Retailer Purchase price $1.91/gallon
    Retailer mark­up $0.12
    Idaho+Federal tax $0.494
    Retail price (B100) $2.52
    •Assumes no credit for glycerin.
    Incentive programsFederal Excise tax credit $1.00/gallon, authorized to 2008.
    Paid to blender, not producer.

Small producer tax credit $0.10/gallon
    Incentive Programs –

Renewable Fuel Standard
    Current standard is 7.5 billions gallons by 2012.
    Enforcement is still unclear.

2% mandates
    All diesel fuel sold in state must contain 2% biodiesel
    Currently law in Minnesota, other states considering.
    Farmers won’t plant crop if there is no processor,
    processor won’t invest if there is no crop.

Some way is needed to distribute the start­up risk.
    Minnesota: A successful example of state support

Starting Sept. 29, 2005, all diesel fuel sold in
    Minnesota for use in engines has been required to
    contain 2% biodiesel.

effective until June 2005 AND there was
    sufficient production capacity in the state to
    supply 50% of the requirement (8 million
    gallons/year).

Current capacity in Minnesota is 65 million
    gallons/year.
    A 2% mandate in Idaho

Current annual diesel fuel consumption is 375 million gallons

2% would require 7.5 million gallons of biodiesel.

At 100 gallons/acre this would provide an in­state market for 75,000 acres of canola.

Idaho canola and mustard seed oils provide superior biodiesel compared with soy oil that provides a competitive advantage.
    Benefits to the region

2% biodiesel provides needed lubricity to low­ sulfur diesel fuel.

Encourages a more diverse set of rotation crops for wheat.

Encourages private investment by distributing risk between plant developer, farmers, and fuel consumers.

Encourages local processing (oilseed crushing and biodiesel processing) to add value to a product grown locally.

The full presentation can be found at http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:c1WJv1J_glMJ:www.whitman.wsu.edu/documents/VanGerpenPpt.pdf+glycerin+usage+as+fuel&hl=en&gl=a u&ct=clnk&cd=23
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Re: Would biodiesel replace dino diesel? What qty are we using in Australia

I ran the figures so long ago (1999-2000?) that I have forgotten exactly what they were, but as I remember it if we converted all of our oil crops and all of our tallow production to biodiesel - we would only provide 8% (I think that was the number) of the annual diesel usage at that time. I doubt if there has been much of a change since then.

When you dial in the additional effect of Peak Oil on commercial agriculture, the future is looking bleak for any sort of 'fields of fuel' happy ending to hydrocarbon man.

Comment

Hi Terry Syd
      You are most likely right, the 8% Sounds a familiar no
      Do we know what the biodiesel production in Australia is at the present? It would be good to know the feedstock used in that output in terms of VO as well as animal fats Any recent data that you are aware of will be appreciated
      Cheers
      Chris
      Cheers
      Chris

Comment

According to a very informative "Landline" on Sunday Morning, The USA produces in Biodiesel our (Australias) entire projected quota for biofuels produced by 2010, every 30 days..

Comment

Originally posted by darren leonadas
          According to a very informative "Landline" on Sunday Morning, The USA produces in Biodiesel our (Australias) entire projected quota for biofuels produced by 2010, every 30 days..
          Thanks for that Darren
          I assume that excludes ethanol from corn for them but it includes it in ours, Any idea of biodiesel production as well as usage at the present in this country? I am rather interested in finding a real number produced rather than projected from the published information of publicly listed biofuels producers as well as privately owned concerns
          Any pointers from any one would welcome
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

It is not Biodiesel but all biofuels that we hope will eventually rule the world. Including clean fuels like Hydrogen, Electricity and dare I say "The Water Car".

But people are always coming up with new ways to create these fuels and this company is another example of that..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10381404

So maybe in time Dino Fuels may one day disappear. But if they don't at least we are all helping in improving the future of our children and their children....
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

Well I am with you on that If all of us can do a little bit or a lot it will be better for our kids and theirs as well
              I am not so sure about all the clean fuels we are bombarded with by all the experts
              It is very confounding out there
              Nothing wrong with using waste oil to power a vehicle or wind energy as well as geothermal to produce power
              I find it a little hard to come to terms with ethanol as well as biodiesel from edible crops (read: before we eat some of them to get WVO) while we have starving people in this world
              I also have an issue with solar panels as well as battery storage of the energy generated from them.
              It takes an installation about 15 years before it balances the amount of energy used to produce the components so as to collect that energy from the sun before it becomes energy positive
              It is unfortunate once again that our view of clean fuel is clouded by just looking at the end result without looking behind
              It is important in my view to also see at the amount of energy it has taken to produce the very thing that produces energy that we consider "clean"
              It has been suggested that ethanol as well as biodiesel are negative energy producers if they are taken from the field straight into a fuel producing factory, to then be pumped into the fuel tank to be used as transport fuel
              It takes fertiliser, tractors, harvesters, transport to and from the farm, as well as to the fuel distribution point before that
              All negative items from an energy conservation point of view something that most people miss Now don't gat me wrong There is nothing wrong with using WVO to run a vehicle or using waste biomass as well as waste gas from land fills etc
              It would be foolish for us to think that with the current state of play in an overpopulated world where the use of motor vehicles in the new emerging economies such as China and India is becoming more and more prevalent that we will see a reduction of emissions overall as well as any abatement in the use of fuel as transport
              We can do our bit if others do as well it may mean that at least we have removed or prevented a little of what would have been otherwise there
              Sauman a member of this forum has been advocating Co-Ops to produce fuel for local use from oil producing crops grown locally which to my mind makes sense as it avoids some of the negative energy
              This forum is a place where the use of sustainable energy is the main focus so it is a good place to have an exchange such as the one here
              The point being that we should look beyond the fact that we produce fuel that has an economic advantage than what is available from the dino fuel pump
              Not so long ago no one bothered with the green side of biofuels it was all economics "cheap fuel from waste oil"
              It is good to see that we are coming of age and we can also address the broader side of the issue by the use of resources that were wasted for a long time
              Personally I have farmed organically in an area of traditional farmers where I was referred to as the "odd ball, tree hugger, weirdo He farms by the Moon, Strange fellow he is into magic " and all sorts of other comments We recycled we used bio for the tractors and had no chemicals at all in a 350 acre orchard Over a period of time we proved that even though a lower yield was the end result in organic farming the bottom line was improved by a factor of three because you did not spend an enormous amount of money in chemical inputs as well as inorganic fertilisers to get a result We converted a few out there into organics mainly for financial reasons but the result is beneficial for the land as well as the environment
              The point is that it takes time to turn things around
              We can do our bit If we can convince a few others to do so as well we are going to make a difference
              Cheers
              Chris
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Chris, the macadamia nut tree is my choice for biofuel. The yields are quite high and the tree is a PERENNIAL. There is no cultivation, there is minimal input to harvest (you don't pick 'em, the nuts fall on the ground).

If the oil was converted to biodiesel, then the crushed meal and the resulting glycerin could be utilised to provide a high protein, high energy food bar. The nut casings go back into compost, and the shell hulls could be used for energy for the biodiesel process (the ash then returning to the soil). The tree roots bring nutrients up from deep in the ground and provide nutrients for the top soil.

If every town council mandated macadmia nut trees in the parks, landscape mediums, school yards and other areas, there would be many nuts to be harvested for the use of a local council crushing plant. The council could provide young trees, at cost, to people who wanted to plant them in their yards. People on the economic fringe could make a few dollars by collecting the nuts and selling them to the council. Perhaps the council would then be free enough from the Canberra Clowns to have enough biodiesel to provide some essential services.

I see hope for the future, I just don't see a lot of interest about that future. A macadamia nut tree takes 5-7 years before it produces nuts. Unfortunately, most people won't do anything until TSHTF.

Comment

G DAY Terry and Chris
                  My choice of feedstock was Macademia to.In fact about 6 years back I looked at it as the main option along with a "tree hugging fellow Scientist and farmer " along the North Coast of NSW.
                  But it frizzled out.Certain changes in our personal life kind of stopped this project from going ahead.Then I moved to India .....all that.
                  But yes a coop in every town making BD for own captive use for the community is my idea of Bio Diesel revolution.Which can be financially engineered to take advantage of CDM and Tax rebates.

I know we can take that path.Before the big boys come in and gobble up the market.
                  Anyways....I keep trying.

We can only do it together.

Keep smiling and shining folks

Cheers
                  Sauman

Comment

Terry Sauman
                    All good stuff I must admit that the macadamia tree is a good one as well as the avocado I did post something on the chinese tallow tree No one seems to have taken up the thread Interesting that along Raleigh road in Pascoe vale the council planted olive trees some time back These trees are left to their own devices and believe it their are prolific producers I have been watching them for over ten years now and I can tell you that the crop is harvested every year by the "W..s" as the locals refer to them Of course they dont turn them into biofuel they are eaten
                    Now the strip between the Tulla freeway up to Pascoe vale road is being replanted with some street trees other then olive trees which are also deciduous necessitating street cleaning at certain times of the year
                    When I called the council to inquire as to why they are planting something other then olive trees since there is a good example of the usefulness of the trees down the road they said that they are getting to many complaints from the residents when harvesting of the olives takes place with people fighting over the crop Besides the guy that decided to order these olive trees for that area was a "w.g" and he no longer works there so no more olive trees How is that for foresight fellows?
                    Nothing wrong with our leaders out there who spend public money for the "benefit" of the community hey?
                    Still as Sauman always says "we can do it together"
                    What we need is more togetherness as well as awareness out in the community as well as in places such as the local councils and landscape consultants who are responsible in shaping the future of urban landscape
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    The point is Terry as well as Sauman
                    Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X