processing used sump oil for BD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• processing used sump oil for BD

A couple of days ago I was cruising through the forums and happened upon a mention of sump oil being used to make BD. I didn't follow it through at the time and now I can't find it. Could somebody help me locate that thread please?
    Cheers, sheriff.

Re: processing used sump oil for BD

Try this one.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0261#789600261

Comment

I can't find the thread, but there was discussion about blending in used engine oil into the biodiesel during the transesterification process. After adding the methoxide in proper proportions to the WVO, you then add your used motor oil. The heavy pollutants, sand and metal flakes, will drop out with the glycerin. Unfortunately, the biodiesel will continue to have the very small carbon particles trapped in the biodiesel/motor oil fuel, the fuel is very dark.

A blend of 20% used engine oil seemed to work alright. I tried it and found that it worked very well and it didn't significantly increase the exhaust smoke. The exhaust smell changed, but no big deal. I would probably restrict the blend to 10%.

Biodiesel has extra oxygen in the fuel, that helps the blend to burn cleaner. Biodiesel also has a higher cetane, which helps with engine starting. The engine oil was also found to lower the gel point of the biodiesel.

There are other issues about the various constituents of the used motor oil producing harmful emissions which need to be addressed, but I have not done research into that area.
      Terry Syd
      Last edited by Terry Syd; 12 July 2006, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Thank you gents, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
        X