The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Based on recent media & Senate activities. It is obvious that Biodiesel Groups and all Renewables Groups NEED to band together to work for the greater good of acceptance and growth of Renewables Fuels.

It is no longer appropriate to remain on the sidelines as a splinter group and promote the benefits of a biofuel. There is a growing industry awareness that the Treasury's (disguised as the Senate) recent decapitation of Biodiesel subsidies is just the beginning, and the Treasury is determined to mine as much tax money from Renewables as possible. Shortsightedness is not the unique to the Treasury, as Labor demonstrated in the vote. Both the recent Landline segment on Renewables & 4-Corners piece on Oil Peaking, have clearly indicated the incongruent & contradictory messages from Government.

With unity, the various Biofuel groups can insure that the media's igniting the fire does not slip into the basket of yesterday's smoldering news. In short, the individual groups of the regions must band together into a larger community where the Australian Biodiesel Users Group will become a tender and keep the issues aflame, a beacon on the horizon for all that search for information and knowledge.

I am not suggesting that the regional groups disband or become less active, but if we, individually, are determined to see change - We, collectively, must work to achieve it.

It may sound corny, but I suggest a web meeting dedicated to the discussion and potential formation of ABUG, Australian Biofuels Users Group. I look forward to your responses.
    Regards, ML
    Morris Lyda
    [URL=http://www.thebiodieselstation.com]
    The Biodiesel Station

Re: The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Hi Morris,
    I agree. Something is simply not working and the environmentally preferred options aren't just failing to get traction as we have expected but are losing ground at a scarey pace. I just do not get it.

What is/are the Industry Group(s) doing when the end consumers of a commercial product have to be doing the lobbying? Maybe they are doing great stuff but they definitely don't seem to be sharing that with the rest of the biodiesel/biofuel community.

Whatever it is it doesn't seem to be working so I am keen to see another front open up.

Cheers,
    Cameron

Comment

Morris and Robert,
      I have been promoting the formation of such a group for around 4 years now. I will support the formation of such a group and I am sure that members ot WARFA will likewise support and promote it.
      I also see the need to allow those who would use biofuels, but have no access to commercial biofuels (nor a desire to make thier own).
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hello everyone. Sorry about my long absence - been overseas, then had to deal with some injury upon my return. The work piles up meanwhile and I'm scarce seen around here...
        I'll try and stop in a bit more often now and try to get on top of what is happening in the scene here - I know I've missed a bunch in the last month and there is still more that I have heard that I have not see discussed in here.
        So, let's cut to the chase - Morris, Tony, Cameron - you are all right. We have discussed this before and usually, I've shied away from it. However, I'm sure that we can all see that the time is well ripe for this. So what needs to happen from here? I guess that we need to decide on a few basics, one of the first being members. As I'd like to see it, any closely aligned group (think WARFA, Sydney Biodiesel, Melbourne Biodiesel Club, Some Bloke's Renewable Fuels etc) could be members, but we'd need a few key members who manage and run the organisation. It would need to be not for profit and have well defined and clear goals that were along the lines of "moving biofuels forward".
        What's the next move? I have a feeling that I might be a busy little boy, but I'd like to not do this one on my own!
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Hi All
          It certainly is a worthwhile move to see something along the lines as they are proposed by Robert
          I will be more than happy to share the work load with you Robert as well as any one else that wants to put their hand up
          In the long term this will provide a platform as well as a voice for all concerned rather than the present scenario which is fine but in my view it has run it's course
          Let's say that we have come of age, even though we are, in a way forced to take such a step in view of all the negatives that the regulatory authorities are dishing up towards renewable energy as well as fuels
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

Hi Morris, sorry to hear bad news about the Marrickville project, but keep a stiff upper lip.
            I have just spoken to Robert "Evil Kenieval" Fivve and i am very interested in representing the Melbourne arm/wing of a National body and lobby group, and Tony of WA has been promoting this for as long as i've known him. Well done, Maybe you could make it to Melbourne for the 29th of July and publicly speak to a congregation of Melbourne enthusiasts, Ill introduce you as another special guest. Check out the programme in the melbourne part of this site. I'm pretty sure we could find you accommodation with one of the members, if not in my front room in my home in Brunswick. And fuel for the drive home to NSW.
            Please give me plenty of notice.
            Darren.

Comment

OK, being the web-nerd that I am, my initial thoughts are to a name/identity on the web. “biofuel.com” or “biofuel.com.au” etc. You could also go for “renewablefuel.com etc… I’m certain that we’ll get the point raised that not all renewable fuels are biofuels and we should not exclude these etc. These are important points as the name cannot be easily changed once started and it goes a long way to defining the organisation.

Now, I have done some searches on possible names to register and found that some people out there have already been squatting on what they think are useful names (if you are one of these people, please come forward). One of the prime suspects is this man here: Rick Freeman of “Intoto Australia”. He has a bunch of names registered, including “biodiesel.com.au” and other very nice names. I have made contact with him previously, and he has claimed to be working for a company that has something to do with “biofuel biotechnology research and particulate minimisation”. He has claimed to have registered these names in “good faith” but has still failed to put up any sort of site. I may be seeking a challenge via the rules of the Australian domain name space should I get the nerve. Rick, if you are watching, please come forward.

In the mean time, I suppose that the first thing we need to do is to find a name. I have already registered (at the same time as this forum) the name “biofuelusers.com” which we could start using from right now, if anyone/everyone so desired. The next step would be to form some sort of official legal entity though whatever means are required in Australia for a group of this sort. I was thinking to look at doing this after everyone was comfy with a name. Once this step is complete it may make registering the web domain in the .au space a bit easier.

Your thoughts please?
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Hi All
                A few ideas to throw in the hat as well
                biofuelsources.com.au
                biofuelsource.com.au
                bioticsources.com.au
                oceaniabioenergy.com.au
                australisbiosite.com.au
                australsustain.com.au
                austain.com.au
                austainable.com.au
                biositeaustralis.com.au
                aubias.com.au, for australian biofuels and sustainability
                ozziebio.com.au
                ozziebiosources.com.au
                ausbioalt.com.au, for australian biofuel alternatives

And there is not much wrong with biofuelusers.com.au
                Cheers
                Chris
                Cheers
                Chris

Comment

What about:

Biofuels Australia

Cheers,
                  Cameron

Comment

Hi there,

I know I'm new 'n all, but I really believe in biodiesel as the way forward, and would like to see it get more awareness and coverage in the media.

This may be something to consider in the future, but I'll post it here for reference anyway...

I believe that the more often people hear about biodiesel, and the more often they hear it presented in a good light, the more people are likely to switch to using it.

A strategy to get Biodiesel into people's minds is to use the media regularly and often. Every time there is a story about petrol prices, petrol running out, pollution, even traffic jams...you can use this opportunity to promote biodiesel. Press releases are a brilliant way to do this, as the journalist can pretty much copy word for word your promotional material and make it look like "news" (yes, I'm a Noam Chomsky fan...)

Spots on radio are good to get as well. Young people are probably more likely to want to adapt, as it is in their lifetime when oil is likely to run out, so maybe try to get a spot on Hack (JTV is going to televise Hack on Friday nights, so that'd be a good way to get on TV too)

and some of the Radio National science programs would also be good to get the word out to more mature listeners.

Anyway, just a few ideas. It's good to set up a media plan right from the beginning... my experience talking to people in another organisation without a strong media strategy, and without a strong speaker for the org, and ultimately fighting a losing battle with public opinion, tells me that the media play a vital role in encouraging acceptance.

Comment

Cool, so there is some stuff happening in here then...

Chris - heaps of suggestions! We need something that is immediately identifiable, simple, not easy to misspell in a domain name and not already taken. I've already got biofuelusers.com, but in order to get a .au name, a company or an organisation needs to be set up in Australia first, so once we've got our identity sorted and registered ourselves as a legal entity here, we can go for a .au domain name.

Amber - Thanks for your ideas and good points re media awareness. Biodiesel/biofuels could really be the darling of the media if it could be played properly and I know that many players in the biodiesel game are not media savvy. Sounds like you'd be the right sort of person to help this group set up some sort of a media plan and help to drive that side of things - want a job? We're all unpaid at the moment of course . But seriously, if you are interested in helping us, I'll make sure that we seek your input when we are ready to get going.

Cheers,

Robert
                      Robert.
                      Site Admin.

Comment

Amber you mention in your post that journalist could use biodiesel promotional material and work it into a similar news story, that may be a very big gamble.

Media watch has reported over the last 12 months journalist portraying adverts as news and current affairs and if i notice this technique being used i immediately associate that product as being deceitful, that's not a good long term strategy, and if we used that method and it was recognised as deceitful the big oil companies would use it to there advantage.

Every action we take must be strictly honest.
                        Biodiesel should be promoted for what it is, what it can do, what it is not, and what it can not do.

If we only promote the facts about biodiesel, we can not be seriuosly attacked.

We will be attacked, doesnt matter if promotion is honest or dishonest, except if we are honest we can not be damaged.

My head hurts now, would this group to be formed also include SVO users.

Comment

I like the SVO input, We would like to help
                          Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Hi Robert
                            I did go through the exercise of punching my suggestions into a Goggle search none were taken up therefore the post
                            I have a lawyer mate of mine who would be happy to write up a constitution for the proposed incorporation
                            If we are to attain legal status within the meaning of the legal system here we need something along those lines
                            He will do it ex gratia apart from any fees to be paid to big brother He wants nothing more than the normal acknowledge that he was the author of the document
                            I could not even persuade him to take some bio as reward, he does not drive
                            So we need to establish some general lines of the constitution of the proposed incorporation
                            Input as well as suggestions may be the way to go
                            Alternatively we can get him going and get an outline of the constitution posted up for comments by all
                            Any thoughts on this by all concerned ??????????????
                            Cheers
                            Chris
                            Cheers
                            Chris

Comment

I agree - SVO should be included just as it is in the forum - I think we should get some buy in from ethanol users too. What do others think?

I wonder how BPs new biodiesel/biofuel will effect all of this?

Also I don't think that Amber's suggestions were in any way inappropriate - I think they are good suggestions. Nice one Amber! I do a bit of media stuff myself and in reality that is how it is often done. Journos are busy and have tight deadlines and if they like the direction and message of your piece and you can save them the trouble of having to re-write it (and often muck it up in the process) by having it well structured with good spelling and no grammatical errors then you are on your way. If you can provide photos or photo opps at short notice if requested then all the better.

We actually have a few journos and motoring magazine staff as members in the forum too - I will leave it to them to out themselves rather than me dob them in!

I like Biofuels Australia as it seems like a good name for a 'peak body' but I did a google and a bit of a drill down and it would seem that Adrian L already has that name or at least he seems to have used it in a submission. Presumably he has registered it. Maybe he would like to 'give it over'?

The name should explain exactly what the group is. It should let people know exactly what it is and what it does. When listed in submissions and conferences etc it should be instantly recognisable and not seem mickey mouse to either the public, industry or the government.

Once we get a name we should develop up a Mission Statement.

Another question that begs to be asked is what happened to the apparently reconstituting BAA? Morris or anyone else - do you have anything you can update us on that one? is it going ahead or did it stall?

Cheers,
                              cameron

Comment

Working...
                              X