Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycerin disposal

Howdy Folks

I'm starting to gather quite a mass of tapped off glycerin and am now wondering what to do with it. I've searched the forum and see a few mentions of giving it to cattle though I'm not convinced that's such a good thing. I've spoken with a fellow who has suggested maybe burning it off at high heat so as to burn it cleanly. Probably a reasonable idea.

What do you do with your glycerin by-product? All comments welcome.

Re: Glycerin disposal

Hi,
    Whilst i dont actually make my own biodiesel i do have some potentially useful info for you regarding disposal of glycerine. Australian Biodiesel Industries in Rutherford(30min West of Newcastle), aparently, sell their glycerine byproduct to the power station industry in very large quantities. Believe it or not, the power stations spray their coal with this stuff prior to burning it, so im led to believe, to improve its combustion.

Now ive not looked deeply into it, as i would have thought the coal burned quite nicely on its own however, the above is relayed to me directly from a lab technician at the Rutherford plant. You probably don't have a powerstation laying around in your backyard dying for a little nitro boost , nor is a large commercial station likely to purchase a couple of jerrycans of glycerine off you but....they might take it for free???(failing that, there are plenty of coal trains travelling in and out of newcastle you could dump some onto ).

Comment

I know someone who was soaking rolled up/tied up newspapers in it and using them as fire logs for their slow combustion fireplace. he seemed to be pretty happy with that option.

Cheers,
      Cameron

Comment

Biodieselers should take care with glycerin byproduct disposal to avoid bad publicity to their "cause" not to mention blocked drains ( dont flush it , very naughty).
        I took mine to a biogas power station near Paramatta which digests food waste to methane for generating green power - their bugs love it!Cos I was a non-commercial greenie , no charge.This offsets the fossil-derived component greenhouse contribution( the methanol ).
        Disposal into a landfill set up for future methane recovery for power generation would be a similar solution.
        I also use glyc for space heating by dripping it thru a short coil of 6mm copper pipe with a small hole at the end( for preheat) into an enclosed fuelstove with a cast iron pot to contain surplus drips.Meth has been recovered first.
        This stuff really burns ! & way hot.
        If combustion is not complete , poisonous acreolin vapour can be produced.
        Merely chucking it into a fire , soaked into paper or sawdust ,results in the glyc melting and running down into the bottom of the fireplace and posing a fire risk- and smoking/stinking badly.
        Glycerine made with NAOH will be solid in southern winters , thus easier to dispose of in landfill .A great big worm farm would be another method too.

Comment

The byproduct can be composted in an anerobic digester but you will need to pre-treat it to attain the correct level of acidity for best results. Anerobic digestion usually occurs in a moderately acid environment (I cannot recall the specifics) so any residual caustic and soaps may need to be neutralised first.

I have been advised that it will compost readily under aerobic conditions.
          It can be burned, either as a fuel on its own, or in a mixture with other substances. If using a mix, the ideal is to avoid a mix which allowsthe byproduict to flow out of the mix. I use a sawdust/ byproduct mix which is very dry, but which will hold its shape if a handfull is squeezed together. (much like moist soil texture)

There is a paper on the use of the byproduct as a feedstock supplement of ruminants, but it does not indicate any pretreatment of the byproduct.

You can only make just so much soap, before the relatives stop accepting it as gifts.
          Likewise, once all of your machinery is clean and your hands are too, what do you do with 200 litres of byproduct?
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

G Day Folks
            Thought I would share a wacky idea.
            Now that we have so much Glycerin from all of us in here .Why not make a coop for collecting it.Then have a small scale purification unit in each localised area.Clean the stuff and sell to user.The cost factor will definetly be attractive to the end user and friends and family will not look forward to another chrisyy of soap presents.
            Appilcation of Glycerin in different Industries is:
            Applications

Drugs
            Personal care
            Glycerine is a component of glycerine soap, which is made from denatured alcohol, glycerine, sodium castorate (from castor), sodium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sucrose, water and parfum (fragance). Sometimes one adds sodium laureth sulfate. This kind of soap is used by people with sensitive, easily irritated skin, contains no detergents. and prevents skin dryness with its properties. Foods and beverages
            • Serves as humectant, solvent and sweetener, may help preserve foods.
            • Solvent for flavors (such as vanilla) and food coloring.
            • Humectant and softening agent in candy, cakes and casings for meats and cheeses.
            • Manufacture of mono- and di-glycerides for use as emulsifiers.
            • Used in manufacture of polyglycerol esters going into shortenings and margarine.
            • Used as filler in low-fat food products (i.e., cookies).
            Polyether polyols
            • One of the major raw materials for the manufacture of polyols for flexible foams, and to a lesser extent rigid polyurethane foams
            • Glycerine is the initiator to which propylene oxide/ethylene oxide is added
            Alkyd resins (plastics) and cellophane
            • Used in surface coatings and paints
            • Used as a softener and plasticizer to impart flexibility, pliability and toughness
            • Uses include meat casings, collagen casings (medical applications)and nonmeat packaging
            • Plasticizer in cellophane.
            Absolute alcohol
            Other applications
            • Manufacture of paper as a plasticizer, humectant and lubricant
            • Humectant for pet foods to retain moisture and enhance palatability
            • Used in lubricating, sizing and softening of yarn and fabric
            • Used in de-/anti-icing fluids
            • Patent applications have been filed for detergent softeners and surfactants based on glycerine (i.e., alkyl glyceryl ethers) instead of quaternary ammonium compounds.
            • A way to preserve leaves is to submerge them in a solution of glycerin and water.
            Use a mixture of one part glycerin to two parts water. Place the mixture in a flat pan, and totally submerge the leaves in a single layer in the liquid. You'll have to weigh them down to keep them submerged. In two to six days, they should have absorbed the liquid and be soft and pliable. Remove them from the pan and wipe off all the liquid with a soft cloth. Done correctly, the leaves will remain soft and pliable indefinitely. Just a thought.could vey well be a business arm of each forum.The money can then fund other avenues of research. Cheers Sauman

Comment

I started a thread ages ago " what do we do with our glycerine??" . Great to hear someone else asking the same questions. Last time i ran this one the best thing i found out about was using it to split out water, FFA and crap from manky WVO. It works really well, use it to do a pre reaction split of your manky old oil. we are now homereacting BD with 97.8% methyl ester. Thats better than Spec!!! just because we use the glycerine to split out the crap and emulsified water.
              Other uses, scrubbing dirty concrete, as a draino, neutralizing acidic compost and adding fertilizer and promoting microbacteria, as a bricky's soapafication of bricky' s mortar, saturate sawdust in an old milkcarton to make fuel bricks.
              The list goes on. please add ideas to this thread.

Comment

Now this is cracky.
                Few home grown ideas for the Oz backyard.
                • I was toying with the idea of using the cake from expelling and mixing it with glycerin and getting Barby Beads.
                • A glycerin stove/heater
                • A glycerin fired bar be
                In fact when I get time I am very keen on designing a Clean green bar be using BD.Using atomiser principle and right designing it should work.
                No more filling up on the servo .The shed has it all.Cook a shrimp on the green barbe.
                Man this should be a hot cake ,something we could back market to the Yanks.

Cheers
                Sauman

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
                  Now this is cracky.
                  Few home grown ideas for the Oz backyard.
                  • I was toying with the idea of using the cake from expelling and mixing it with glycerin and getting Barby Beads.
                  • Sauman, this is excellent, You have caused me to have an Idea (first one this year :O ) seed cake from the oil press holds most of the nutrients from the crop (the crop residues hold the rest) and could be ploughed back into the fields. But with added glycerol, the microbal activity of the soul could be increased manyfold.
                    sorry, not what you were proposing, but just had to interject.
                  • A glycerin stove/heater
                  • A glycerin fired bar be
                In fact when I get time I am very keen on designing a Clean green bar be using BD.Using atomiser principle and right designing it should work.
                No more filling up on the servo .The shed has it all.Cook a shrimp on the green barbe.
                Man this should be a hot cake ,something we could back market to the Yanks.

Cheers
                Sauman
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I have already designed the WVO/ Wood fired Pizza oven.
                  This little baby is capable of putting out over 50 Heating Horsepower although I am currently in the process of modifying this design to kick out even more heat. I am also looking at building some smaller versions and a design that fires in an upward direction so as to be useful for heating vessels of liquid, flat plates and other applications typical of a gas ring or stove.
                  The burner pictured was initially designed to fire in a downward direction but when run hard enough, it retains enough heat to fire horizontally as well.

Recently I acquired some Glycerin from a bio dieseler also with a disposal problem and have been looking at some ways to burn the stuff hopefully to use it as a fuel to heat WVO for processing.

So far I have found it burns with an incredible amount of ash, at least 25% by liquid volume. If it is fired at a temp at which the carbonization will burn off, it should be possible to make a chamber big enough so it does not clog up with deposits before they are reduced to ash and blown out. The fuel metering will have to be quite precise especially in the case of glycerin that still has the methanol content which flashes immediately while the remaining liquid is much harder to burn.

I was doing some tests in my oven burning Glycerin but became concerned at the lingering chemical smell and what I may be putting into the food. I am surprised the stuff is safe to put on the garden the way it smells when burned.

To avoid the problem of deposits in a swirl or pot type burner I experimented the other day with atomizing the glycerin to burn it that way. This may be practical way of burning the stuff but unless the walls of the burner are kept basically red hot, the heavier residues are still going to condense on the burner’s interior.

At this stage I am thinking a good potential smallish burner would be a vertical chamber lined with refractory. The cylinder would have an opening about 1/3 the way up from the bottom where the glycerin and a forced air stream could be introduced. The chamber would be preheated with say LPG , and once the chamber was up to a red heat, the glycerin could be introduced. In such a hot environment, it would not need to be atomized, a relatively coarse spray from a low pressure pump and nozzle should suffice. At the top of the chamber a drum of oil could be placed for heating just like on a gas stove top.

While WVO is relatively easy and fume free when burned properly, glycerin will require a burning devise much more complicated in design that retains much more heat and the emissions will have to be carefully ducted away to avoid being inhaled. It can be done but is going to take a bit of engineering to make it practical.

Comment

Tony
                    Thats a brilliant idea.An organic fertilizer .The cake probably has good NKP count.I will look up some data on cake residue.Keep me posted.So the combo could be...press oil....get cake...make BD....MAKE BIO FERT....no more bags from the store....use BD to fire everything inclusive your Barbe in the backyard.The burner looks cool.Give me a few days and will do some study on why so much high ash.Must be a way around it.
                    Like spiral burners??? Reverse draft Burners???

I am also working on a generator+inverter=electricity.....all from the one shed.
                    The shed...the good ol' shed. Miss me shed.
                    My power from my lappy just went there.So I light up a ciggy and was taking a few long breathes.
                    Tony the rice husk from the rice mills.Right.If we mix it with Glycerin and pressurize it to form pellets.We have got Barbe beads???Right??Don't know ...will keep thinking....
                    Cheers
                    Sauman

Comment

Well, what a great response. Many thanks to all!

Since posting this question I have spoken to the local waste oil collection fellow and he's keen to take it off my hands. Evidently he uses it to clean up drums etc. He actually buys it by the barrel. I think we may well strike a deal!

Cheers!

Comment

Darren Leonadas
                        You mentioned doing a " Pre- reaction split" on dirty oil.Sounds like a good idea.Can you give more details?
                        Is it the same as this http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/...1/m/9441081511
                        by High Compression II.
                        It would allow me to use another source of oil if I could improve it's quality before processing.

Comment

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html
                          hdj80
                          Last edited by hdj80; 31 July 2006, 09:53 PM.
                          HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                          Canberra

Comment

darren could you please give me a little more info or point me in the right direction re pre reaction split useing glycerine to clean up yukky oil thanks

Comment

• Working...
                              X