X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterless washing

There is a discussion on another forum in USA
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/.../307107028/p/1

which is a bit long winded, but they are discussing using Magnesol (magnesium silicate powder )instead of water for soap removal. Seems it is a quicker process but then you need to filter out the powdered magnesol at the end and could be a problem in itself.
    Could be an interesting method to use with water shortages common in Aus. Any one tried this yet?
    Peter

Re: Waterless washing

The common name for magnesium silicate is talc or talcum powder (& costs next to nothing). I have tried using talc a couple of times on 1 litre samples with little or no noticeable success. Method: Made a 2L test batch of Bio from WVO, let settle for 24 hours, split the bio into 2 x 1L separate bottles then added 10g of oven dried talc into one of the bottles and shook repeatedly at intervals through the day. I Let the bottle containing the talc settle for a further few days then pour off the Bio into another clean bottle. It was still slightly hazy with talc particles. Then assess the effectiveness of the talc by conventional water washing. I added 200ml of warm water to each bottle and gently inverted the bottles a few times, repeated over the next few hours.

The water in both bottles turned milky with the customary interface of white fluffy stuff. I couldn't see any difference between the samples.

My conclusion is that there must be something special about the Magnesol product to get the good results reoported on the infopop forum. Well duh, no surprises there as the stuff is marketed for a high price in the US. Not sure if it's available here though. There is another product called Frytol but I don't know whether the active substance is the same.

By the way, my talc sample remained hazy even after washing a few times & then drying, while it's sister sample cleared beautifully. so it would still need to be filtered pretty well before use.
    geewizztoo
    Last edited by geewizztoo; 7 November 2005, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Hi

The Magnesol Product is Synthetic Magnesium Silicate absorbent which is as you rightly said really expensive. It has a strong attraction to the soaps and water remaining in the BD but must be heated to a higher than processing temperature for it to work and then mixed for resonable amount of time to get any effect.

I tried it with common talc (Baby Powder to be honest) but you must heat it and mix it for it to work. I then filtered to remove the worst of the remaining talc and then did a wash test. BINGO instant separation, the unwashed did it's usual emulsion thnig but the talc was immediately better.

I'll be doing a bigger test batch soon and will keep you informed. Get the temp above 70C and hold for about 20mins whilst mixing then filter to 1 micron and then wash test. It DOES work.

Comment

what do you heat ? the oil or the talc ???????????????thanks gary
        started on bio now on blends next a svo conversion 1986 toyota 4runner

Comment

That is attractive subject.
          Please continue.
          Write your information .
          Thank all
          http://brteam.ir
          Biofuel Research Team (BRT)