PDA

View Full Version : E10 not for aircraft

smokey2
25th July 2008, 09:58 AM
Noticed signs on the E10 bowser at United Fyshwick stating not to be used in aircraft. Most aircraft use either Avgas or Jeta1 so I assume it must be some types of ultralight. Given that lower concentrations of alcohol in petrol do not need to be labelled then can any form of petrol be used?
My stepson was flying a Daimond DA42. In Europe they offer a diesel motor but I do not know which fuel they use.

RODEONICK
28th July 2008, 09:39 PM
the reason is that ethanol and blends are hydroscopic ( absorb water) and makes the chances of water in fuel greater and harder to detect. (pilots check for water contamination before EVERY flight)
Hope this helps.

Grant
6th August 2008, 11:19 PM
Howdy, first post here, but I fly and have followed this topic a bit The diesel aircraft engines coming out now use jet A1, though I believe they can use diesel or similar also. They are not as intolerant to alternate fuels as the avgas spark ignition aircraft engines.

The use of auto fuel was legally permitted in some low compression aircraft engines, but this permission specifically excluded any fuel with alcohol. Not only for the hygroscopic reason above, but due to aicraft fuel systems and tank sealants etc not being able to withstand the alcohol. The lower vapour pressure of auto fuel is also a problem inthe often antiquated aircraft fuel sytems contributing to vapour lock, which can be fatal if it happens at the wrong time!

This being said, there are aircraft flying on pure ethanol and blends around the world. Brazil has done a lot of work on it, and an aerobatic team flys on pure ethanol in the US. Obviously, they have done there homework.

cheers,

Grant

smokey2
9th August 2008, 05:17 PM
The reason I brought this up is not all fuel containing ethanol is labelled as such. ie below 5%.
I was reading that the company producing the diesel engines (based on a VW motor) has gone bust leaving people with those aircraft in a spot of trouble.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/DiamondTriesToSootheDA42Customers_198391-1.html