Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw from top OR empty from bottom

Howdy folks

I was wondering what the general consensus is on how to get the BD out of the mixing drum and into storage. I've read that the best method is to draw from the top where the fuel is clearer. Conversely, it is of course much easier to simply open the tap on the bottom and let gravity do the work. After a week of sitting and tapping off the glycerin I've noticed a slight difference in clarity between fuel on top and bottom though nothing I'd get that excited about.

So, draw from the top or empty from the bottom? What do you do?

Re: Draw from top OR empty from bottom

Have a tank with two taps.

One at the bottom and one a third from the bottom.

The upper tap can be used to drain off clean biodiesel that is uncontaminated by the dregs. \

The bottom tap can be used to occasionally drain off any cloudy biodiesel. The cloudy biodiesel can be re-washed.

Comment

I built a version of the standpipe washtank. Basically I thought it to be a stupid idea i.e. the ones discribed with the standpipe open virtically. This idea would let water into the standpipe and draining would mean that there would be water in the standpipe, .

My washtank also has a tap on the bottom to drain of the wash water and another pipe coming in from the side that has a bend down for approx 200mm so water and bio does not enter this pipe. The opening of that pipe is approx 250mm from the bottom of the tank so when I drain the bio from this pipe it leaves approx 20litres of bio in the bottom of the tank for next time... So the washtank always has 20litres of bio in it. BTW all water is drained before I drain the bio and the bio has been sitting in there at less 1 week.

This pic is of my first tank it worked well but I had some reason to change it and come in from the side. Can't remember but this might give you an idea of what you can do.
      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
      Canberra

Comment

I like the idea of a second tap one tird up from the bottom. Makes sense.

This standpipe washtank sounds like a good idea too. I've just started looking into it on a few webpages. Wish I'd have know about this before I went to the trouble of getting drum and cone welded, patching leaks etc. The page I'm looking at is here.

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/standpipewashtank/

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X