Toyota Hilux 2003 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Hilux 2003 Turbo

Good Day all, i am very new to this and just as exited at the prospect of saving money. I have several questions id like ask. Does any one know of any compatability issues with this car and BioDiesel. The other question is where i can i buy ready mixed fuel in Sydney Australia. I would like to make my own someday. first things first.

Thanks in advance to all you read this.

Re: Toyota Hilux 2003 Turbo

Hi TheFuzz, and welcome to the forums. I don't have any personal experience of Biodiesel yet, but from what I've read here (and in other places) you can run any diesel engine on any mix of biodiesel, right up to B100 (in spite of what some manufacturers might say).

There are three things to be aware of when converting to bio:
    1. Biodiesel is an excellent solvent. As a result it will disolve all the gunk left over from dinodiesel in your tank, which can end up clogging your fuel filter. So you may have to change the filter a couple of times after a few weeks/months.
    2. Biodiesel can cause natural rubber to soften and deteriorate. Almost all modern vehicles (mid-90s onwards I think) should not have any natural rubber hoses as ULS Diesel also causes it to deteriorate (although it has the opposite effect of making it brittle). But it's something you might need to check, and replace any rubber fuel lines with viton.
    3. Biodiesel starts to get viscous at higher temps than dino, something like 4-5 degrees C. So you might want to mix it with dino at this time of year to avoid cold starting problems.

So do your research, read around in these forums (there are plenty of other posts on this exact subject here) and go for it! There should be no reason you can't use bio in you Hilux that I can see.
    Sean

Comment

Hey the FUZZ, I'm so glad your hip pocket feels so nice and fuzzy but for some people on this forum its not about saving money, ITS ABOUT SAVING THE PLANET FROM GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE, And then people who dont even aspire to owning a car, wouldn't have to spend so much money on Bannannas because a freak cyclone wiped out crops in QLD, or spend so much on apples and oranges because freak hail storms wiped out crops in VIC..

Comment

You can buy biodiesel in Sydney at the moment and yes, it is a little cheaper than dirty dino diesel. It is not cheaper because it is an inferior fuel, quite the opposite. In almost every way biodiesel is a superior fuel. It is cheaper because we do not have to fight wars for it and spend huge amounts of energy refining it and importing it. Additionally (at least for the moment) the Federal Government do not tax it at 38c/L as they do for petrol and distillate.

As such, there are a few opportunists, who seem to be trying to pass off biodiesel unawares to their retail markets, purely to save a buck. There are already some of the bigger oil companies in Oz buying HUGE quantities of biodiesel, as they can better their profit margin. There are also some retail outlets (like Volume Plus) who own their own biodiesel plant and are offering fuel cheaper than anywhere else because of it. There is much information on this topic already in the forum, search if you have not already found it (buyer beware). Links to found content here, here and here (and loads more if you search).

Now, as for your car, you will not have any dramas, providing you use quality fuel (same with distillate - if you pick up a bad batch of petroleum distillate, that some folks call "diesel", you can also have problems with your vehicle that your warranty will not cover). Search on ULSD and warranties in this forum for a thread with info on this.

I think that should set you on the right path. You will learn that your 2001 Hilux loves biodiesel and will not have problems caused by biodiesel, but I'll let you find that out for yourself. Please be sure to check back in here and tell us your good stories about how your car runs on it.

And yes, Darren does have a point that many of us miss, we all need to wean ourselves off the dirty oil addiction. I hope that biodiesel can help to bring this realisation to the mainstream by immediately offering an alternative. Personally, I feel great that my driving addiction is no longer such a big part of the oil economy that is ruining (and very probably bringing and end to) our world. We each need to do our part and for me biodiesel is just one thing I can do. Plus, it's better for my car!
        Robert
        Administrator
        Last edited by Robert; 25 July 2006, 01:08 PM.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Correctly made biodiesel is a superior fuel to Petrodiesel. But it is slightly less volatile. Hence some people experience cold starting problems in winter. I did until I changed my glow plugs. If you have cold starting problems, you might want to check your glow plugs. I made a post about this but don't know how to direct you to it. Maybe Robert can help???

Comment

Directing to a post? Of course I can help.

If you want to include a link in the text you are typing, just drag your mouse over the text you want to highlight for the link, then click the little "link" icon above the text area - looks like this . Now you can insert the link.

Best way is to find the link before you start typing and just copy & paste it from your browser window. Fancy nerds like me use Firefox instead of that horrible Internet Explorer (in fact so do about 25% of this forum's users, according to the webstats), so we can open many links in multiple tabs and all sorts of wonderful stuff that makes all this easier.
            Anyway, not to get too far off topic - here's the link that you were looking for .
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Jcarley,

You solved the problem in one. I had similar problems, changed the filter, put another cheapo in line filter and still had some poor starting the first start of the day. That was the clue, later in the day, starting was good. Checked Glow Plugs, guess what not one of them was heating up. Took them out, earthed the body, positive battery contact on head of plug and not a even a warm plug. New Glow Plugs from Supercheap at $15.50 each ($62 they were on special, normal price is $19.00 each) Put them across the battery and wow!!!!!. Starting early morning before sun up and it starts first click running B100. I have a Hi-Ace with 2.8Lt 3L engine. Only blame the BD if other things are right.

All the best,

Dillyman.
              dillyman
              Last edited by dillyman; 27 July 2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Hey all you guys are great.

Thanks for all the info and yes i will keep you all updated. I may of been a little selfish to put the hip pocket in front of planet earth. Unfortunately for me the reality for me and others i imagine is that i rely on my car to make the dollars. Sure i walk the shorter distances but most times i need the ute for deliveries.

Ill check back shortly, well done guys and thanks Robert.

Comment

The Fuzz,

Dont beat yourself up over your first consideration about the cost of fuel, it does hurt, I felt it on retirement. The important thing is that you have dealt with the presenting problem of economics, also discovered a favourable outlook to boot, that benefits everyone. Welcome . All our pathways through life are different , the important thing is that you have found the right one for more than a single reason.

Enjoy

Dillyman

Comment

Thanks Dillyman, i am still on my quest to find BD. So far it is as rare as hens teeth. Would like to make my own one day. Im sure there is aforum about that. Its the first time i have been associated with a forum so navigating this sight will need some getting used to.

Thanks again, be well.

Cheers

Comment

TheFuzz,

When your ready and maybe earlier, you are on the right forum for support and honest advice. Just ask, the object is to support each other through times and issues we find difficult. "You dont ask, you dont get an answer". It would be sensible to ask well before you are ready, that way you will have an understanding of the future needs, also you will find you can pick up items of use ahead of time when opportunity is there. Dont be put off, it is worth the effort.

LOL

Dilyman

Comment

Thanks again Dilyman,

I guess i would like to look at the prospect of making my own fuel, on the off chance that i source manufactured fuel it will always be good to have a backup supply. I will need the heater element and some know how. I have been reading up on somesights and managed to source some books which i am hoping to read over the weekend.

Anyone with tried and tested knowledge will always be a better source of info than a text book in the beginning i think.

Well on my way again, thaks to everyone so far.

Cheers

Fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuzz
                          Hey all you guys are great.

I may of been a little selfish to put the hip pocket in front of planet earth. .
                          NO WAY YOU'RE NOT SELFISH!
                          We are all motivated in different ways!
                          I started using WVO to save money, I have no problems saying that!!!!!
                          BUT if as a result I produce less pollution then that's great....

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuzz
                            Thanks Dillyman, i am still on my quest to find BD. So far it is as rare as hens teeth. Would like to make my own one day. Im sure there is aforum about that. Its the first time i have been associated with a forum so navigating this sight will need some getting used to.

Thanks again, be well.

Cheers
                            Have you considered running on WVO/Diesel blends?
                            It can be VERY cheap and a bit lees hassle than making your own BD.
                            I run my 2.8 Hilux on 95% WVO.
                            If you would like to have a look at my filtration process PM me....

Glenn
                            Saving $$$$$
                            and the earth!

Comment

Working...
                            X