can I go straight to B100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I go straight to B100?

Hi, new to this forum and very glad to have found it.

Does anyone know if I can go straight to B100 in a diesel engine or should I phase it in? Am running a Hino FD176 furniture van using 80 litres of Diesel a week. Thanks.
    Skutenko Transport
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by Skutenko Transport; 24 July 2006, 11:20 PM.

Re: can I go straight to B100?

Yes you should be able to, things to look at are the fuel tank deposits blocking filters (carry a spare and it only happens once or so), injection pump seals (modern vehicles are no problem), fuel lines may soften (there are compatible alternatives for these) and make sure you buy quality fuel.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Maybe this time of year you would be advised to run B50 for a start - until the overnight minimum temps are consistently >10 wherever you drive.
      Someone with more "Victorian" experience may want to improve on this advice...
      ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi Fellow victorian.
        Take Lunar's advice, Particularly with these frosty Melbourne Winters. I am lucky enough to be burning stuff made by the master, and so my B100 has been tested to be better than spec. (97.8 methyl ester), and yet i still have to glow the plug twice and crank up the hand throttle to get the ol' Merc to start on these frosty mornings, so until the sun comes back to Melbourne, just burn B50. Particularly if its (BD) not up to spec. Backyard stuff may look mighty fine to the eye, but may have a percentage of unreacted WVO or feedstock, which will gel down here in sMelbs at this time of year.
        OR if you have faith in who produced it (BD) go ahead and burn B100 but be patient in the mornings. MY Merc on a cold melbourne day will go for hours, even tugging up hills, with out the temp gauge moving above 60.c.
        But once you've heard the slick, smooth sound of good B100, you'll never go back to fossil.
        Also come to J29 at CERES and meet loads of other Melbourneian Biodieselers.
        Go Here for the info.

Comment

My apology, I did not for a moment think about where you where (BAD head cold at the moment) so yes follow the others advice, B50 in winter time. I live in the warmer parts and do not have to worry about this issue normally.

Matt

PS Darren I just wish I could be at Ceres this weekend.
          Matt
          Last edited by Matt; 25 July 2006, 12:11 PM.
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Matt, in spirit YOU ARE.

Comment

Thanks to all for the great info. We are a small removals company that would love to be the first "green" removals running in melbourne. We will be coming to CERES on 29th July and hope to buy some B100 there to try out.

Mick & Fi.

Comment

Working...
              X